Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:26:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Meaning even if you got a 0 you'd still get a C, B, or A?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?  (Read 1942 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 29, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »

I'm actually pretty curious about this, have you ever done this before. I have only done it ONCE and regretted it even though I got a B overall in the class.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »

I aim to maximize my GPA for employment and grad school reasons, so I try to get as close to an A as I can, multiplied by six.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 09:09:12 PM »

I aim to maximize my GPA for employment and grad school reasons, so I try to get as close to an A as I can, multiplied by six.

I try to as well, but once I literally rage quit an assignment after spending a month on it and not going anywhere with it, and this was this semester.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »

Plenty of times, usually only if another class where I needed to boost my grade (Math classes, I'm looking at you) , or I found the assignment and the professor's demands to be BS from the start.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 09:14:23 PM »

I try to as well, but once I literally rage quit an assignment after spending a month on it and not going anywhere with it, and this was this semester.

I mean, I often give up on papers before they're "perfect" in my--or my professors' eyes--and there are always assignment produced below the optimal level of quality, but I try to do it within a certain margin of "likely to produce an acceptable result".
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 09:17:21 PM »

I mean, I often give up on papers before they're "perfect" in my--or my professors' eyes--and there are always assignment produced below the optimal level of quality, but I try to do it within a certain margin of "likely to produce an acceptable result".

Yeah, I try to put a lot of effort into my assignments and got 100's or 90's on all of them, but this one I just didn't understand AT ALL and tried to get tutoring help for it and even then it wasn't processing so after spending 2 WEEKS just trying to understand it and applying it to the other 2 WEEKS of working on it, I just suck f[inks] it and turned it into my professor's dropbox and got a 35 on it and got an 89.4% in the class.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 09:28:47 PM »

Yeah, I try to put a lot of effort into my assignments and got 100's or 90's on all of them, but this one I just didn't understand AT ALL and tried to get tutoring help for it and even then it wasn't processing so after spending 2 WEEKS just trying to understand it and applying it to the other 2 WEEKS of working on it, I just suck f[inks] it and turned it into my professor's dropbox and got a 35 on it and got an 89.4% in the class.

89.4 that's rough
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »

In Calculus 1 I skipped the final test since we were allowed to drop the lowest test grade, and I was fairly certain that even if I did study and took it that it would've been the lowest grade anyway (the others I all got As and Bs on.) Seemed pointless.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 09:53:00 PM »

You're computers, right? I have a friend who takes programming classes to sub for her CIS electives--effing rough; if ya don't get it, you're kinna effed.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »

You're computers, right? I have a friend who takes programming classes to sub for her CIS electives--effing rough; if ya don't get it, you're kinna effed.

Yeah, I SUCK at programming, it's why I chose to go into Networking and Network Security, since the relatively little coding there is simple enough to understand.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »

No, but I've often slacked off on my homework because I knew that the tests and quizzes would bring me up to a good grade.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »

Of course I have. I remember completing that during the last night before deadline, as I've had too much pot during the day.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 01:11:08 PM »

Sure, all the time. I had to take a lot of stupid classes. I turned in a lot of bad English Comp papers, for example. I usually gave classes related to my major (chemistry) my best effort. I also tried really hard at my math classes. I once got an A on a Calculus 3 test. I had that test stuck on my dorm room fridge for months afterword.

The standards were so low in my 200-level biology class that each student received ten extra-credit points for being less than 10 minutes late to the labs. People still skipped them. I could have failed the final exam and still had a grade over 100%. And I wasn't even a biology major.

I did not pull an especially high GPA (less than 3.3), but I still ended up with a job eventually. My standards are much higher for my work now that I am out of academia.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 03:09:19 PM »

I showed up 5 times for my health class in college.  Day 1, Syllabus.  It had the days of the 4 tests on it.  I showed up those days.  Got a C in the class.  I didn't buy the US History text books, still passed the classes.  My HS GPS was just under 2.  My college GPA was worse.  It's never once prevented me from getting a job.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 06:43:39 PM »

I had a 100 going into the final in a world religions class freshman year so I didn't even bother spending a minute to study.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 06:59:22 PM »

I had a 100 going into the final in a world religions class freshman year so I didn't even bother spending a minute to study.

What did you end up getting on the final?
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 09:10:55 PM »

I'm assuming your talking about college here, but no. Now, what I have done in high school is a BS assignment that the teacher just checks and you get credit for it. I have done that multiple times, but I don't think I've really just guessed and then turned something in that gets checked for accuracy.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »

I'm assuming your talking about college here, but no. Now, what I have done in high school is a BS assignment that the teacher just checks and you get credit for it. I have done that multiple times, but I don't think I've really just guessed and then turned something in that gets checked for accuracy.
There are some really stupid assignments that are for participation in undergraduate, too. College professors, in my experience, are surprisingly lazy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:32 AM »

College professors, in my experience, are surprisingly lazy.

And how would you know little boy? Do you spend all of your time around an academic department carefully observing the working environment? Have you ever marked any papers yourself? Do you have any idea what an absolute fycking nightmare of a hassle it is?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »

And how would you know little boy? Do you spend all of your time around an academic department carefully observing the working environment? Have you ever marked any papers yourself? Do you have any idea what an absolute fycking nightmare of a hassle it is?

The worst is grading essay papers which basically suck, but once in awhile say something vaguely on point. One has to work hard to figure out how much above zero the detritus should fairly receive. As one who has found oneself engaged in such a grading task, it is indeed hell.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 02:07:03 PM »

If you get a liberal arts degree in America, you really should be BSing all your papers. If you have to put in effort, college isn't for you. Go be a welder or something. You'll make more money anyway.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »

Undergrads are far more lazy. And needy. And whiny. I'm fleeing academia as soon as I finish grad school.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »

If you get a liberal arts degree in America, you really should be BSing all your papers. If you have to put in effort, college isn't for you. Go be a welder or something. You'll make more money anyway.

As a welder? No you won't: it's not 1976 any more. Besides that's a skilled job that requires a lot of work as well...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 05:43:18 PM »

In Calculus 1 I skipped the final test since we were allowed to drop the lowest test grade, and I was fairly certain that even if I did study and took it that it would've been the lowest grade anyway (the others I all got As and Bs on.) Seemed pointless.

They let you drop the final?  Wow.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 06:23:04 PM »

They let you drop the final?  Wow.

My college does that too, your lowest grade gets dropped, even if it was the final.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies