Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Meaning even if you got a 0 you'd still get a C, B, or A?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Have you ever submitted a BS assignment because you knew you'd pass the class?  (Read 1952 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »

In Calculus 1 I skipped the final test since we were allowed to drop the lowest test grade, and I was fairly certain that even if I did study and took it that it would've been the lowest grade anyway (the others I all got As and Bs on.) Seemed pointless.

They let you drop the final?  Wow.

Haha, no. I wish. I meant the last test before the final.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 09:21:34 PM »

College professors, in my experience, are surprisingly lazy.

And how would you know little boy? Do you spend all of your time around an academic department carefully observing the working environment? Have you ever marked any papers yourself? Do you have any idea what an absolute fycking nightmare of a hassle it is?
Yes, I actually taught high school for a while and was a TA for a while as well during graduate school. Grading papers sucks; I'll agree. Dealing with student misbehavior and laziness is worse, though.

But I left academia; I didn't like it. I'm making big boy money now as an actuary who just happens to be a two-time college dropout.

Undergrads are far more lazy. And needy. And whiny. I'm fleeing academia as soon as I finish grad school.
Do it. The "real world" is MUCH better. And yeah, you don't realize that about undergrads until you're a grad student and have to be in classes with undergrads. I'm 10 times happier working as an actuary than I ever was as a student or teacher. There's just a lot less pressure and drama and a lot more money.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 10:44:14 PM »

I would love grading papers! I don't think I've ever heard a professor complain about that. Why do it if you don't love it?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2016, 12:15:37 AM »

And how would you know little boy? Do you spend all of your time around an academic department carefully observing the working environment? Have you ever marked any papers yourself? Do you have any idea what an absolute fycking nightmare of a hassle it is?

Most aren't lazy, but some are. We actually had to petition our college department direction due to issues with an exceptionally lazy teacher. She was too lazy to read emails and was only at our small campus one day a week (she was at the other ones the other days), so we had to talk to her through other teachers (which annoyed them a lot, she was especially umpopular with other teachers) and decided to move back the final paper submittal date with one week of notice because she wanted to go on vacation earlier (as she refused to change it back even with pressure from department, they just asked her to be more lenient for correction and tampered the marks upwards afterwards, because she wasn't).

Obviously, her contract wasn't renewed.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »

If you get a liberal arts degree in America, you really should be BSing all your papers. If you have to put in effort, college isn't for you. Go be a welder or something. You'll make more money anyway.

Have you taken a liberal arts class? Beyond, say, the 100 level or whatever it is called in the United States?
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 03:12:01 PM »

I would love grading papers! I don't think I've ever heard a professor complain about that. Why do it if you don't love it?

Have you yourself ever done it? And what kind-hearted teachers have you met?

I had TA experience back in High School, and I gotta tell ya' grading those quizzes and tests was the absolute worst part. Trying to make out the handwriting, the questionable dirt on some papers, the bizarre number of scoring systems to keep track of, the disorganized kid who turns in things really late,....yuck.

This TA time was also for just my final semester, I can imagine dealing with all this crap for years would really dampen an opinion.

And this is coming from someone who literally is going to Grad School to teach.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2016, 09:24:51 AM »

If you get a liberal arts degree in America, you really should be BSing all your papers. If you have to put in effort, college isn't for you. Go be a welder or something. You'll make more money anyway.

Have you taken a liberal arts class? Beyond, say, the 100 level or whatever it is called in the United States?

I have a BA in political science which I never put any effort into getting. Towards the end, I took some graduate level classes in politics and history just to try to challenge myself. They were not noticeably harder, except that you would have to BS 10 page papers rather than BS 5 page papers. I am not bragging, this is the experience of every semi-smart person I've ever talked to who got a degree in politics/English/philosophy/anthropology in the United States. Maybe it's harder in Europe.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »

Yes, I actually taught high school for a while

High school =/= college.
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

i have such a low gpa that i could get 100s on everything and yet i would be a C+ student
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2016, 04:52:47 PM »

i have such a low gpa that i could get 100s on everything and yet i would be a C+ student

I do hope this is some ill-fated attempt at appearing funny. Jesus Christ.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »

Yes, I actually taught high school for a while

High school =/= college.
Way to cut off the rest of my post.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies