It's over.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:15:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  It's over.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: It's over.  (Read 3088 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 06:19:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Given that the only 2 West Virginians that I know are vastly in the tank for Cruz? I don't see it.

I can't believe I spent so much time arguing with you in detail in that delegate allocation thread.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 06:24:47 PM »

RIP America : (

1776 - TRUMP
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 06:45:40 PM »

I hadn't seen a West Virginia poll. Is it really so unbelievable that WV which is pretty conservative would go Cruz?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 07:09:30 PM »

I hadn't seen a West Virginia poll. Is it really so unbelievable that WV which is pretty conservative would go Cruz?

Check the primary maps for Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky, and Tennessee.  Also, considering you have a non-random sample of n=2, and the margin of error on a sample size of n=2 would be massive either way, the fact that you even invoked two people you know in WV as a rebuttal...pretty ridiculous.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:34 PM »

Given that the only 2 West Virginians that I know are vastly in the tank for Cruz? I don't see it.

I can't believe I spent so much time arguing with you in detail in that delegate allocation thread.

after rhode island he was arguing that trump had not taken enough delegates from last weeks primaries because he didn't manage a sweep of rhode island, which he'd have needed near 90% statewide to manage.  I think that helps to show that he's not exactly looking at this impartially
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 07:26:14 PM »

The one Minnesota voter I know is a solid Trump supporter.

Minnesota:

Likely D  ----> Safe R in the general.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »

And yet, my delegate totals were correct. Wink

I suggest you answer my question. Oh, and Trump won KY, and TN because of the vote split between Cruz/Rubio.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 07:38:13 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2016, 07:43:34 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Your Rhode Island defense made no sense and I believe you stopped replying.  I'm glad you have been correct about other things in your life, but that's immaterial to how much the Rhode Island portion (and the rationale, which apparently reflects on your overall methodology) was flaming nonsense.

I suggest you answer my question. Oh, and Trump won KY, and TN because of the vote split between Cruz/Rubio.

Uh, I was answering your question.  What other topic do you think I was addressing when I told you to check out Trump's previous showings in the region?

I don't think it's unreasonable to think it's possible that West Virginia would vote Cruz; I think it's unreasonable to assume it's likely.  You seem to have been asserting that you thought it was likely Cruz would win West Virginia (I don't know what else "I can't see that" would mean, in response to a post about West Virginia being compositionally strong for Trump).

Look at the county maps in Virginia, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Tennessee.  Trump did not win the Appalachian portions of those states because of vote-splitting; he just won them.  Is that evidence perfect?  No -- it requires making some inferences that may be inaccurate.  The point is that it's  strong evidence.  It's sure a heck of a lot stronger than "I know two people in West Virginia and they really like Ted Cruz."

You seem to chronically misunderstand how probability (and specifically language around probability) works.  No amount of faux-cocky winky emoticon use is going to compensate for that.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:34 PM »

Why does everyone assume Trump is going to dominate WV and CA?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 07:42:01 PM »

You didn't read this thread at all, did you? Tongue
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:26 PM »

Polls, common sense, etc
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »

States similar to both California and West Virginia have gone heavily Trump.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 07:51:12 PM »

I made my predictions back in February and said Trump would be around 1k in the delegates, I was closer than 538, and made correct calls in WI. Wink

So again, you're harping on a state that I awarded to Trump, said would be solid Trump and it went that way.

Thank you.

*sigh*. He won VA, KY and lost in Ohio. He's not a strong nominee by any stretch of the name. A weak nominee like Romney would have wrapped it up with OH and FL. He did not. A weak nominee like Romney would have finished him off in WI, and not need it to go to NY, Trump needed that.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't see the core faith in WV must go Trump other than that he needs it for his delegates. Wink

Show me data. I'm not sure I buy the consensus here, and I am keeping it a Cruz call.
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 07:58:40 PM »

look at where in Ohio he did well, smart guy.

now, who is going to win West Virginia?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2016, 08:05:30 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

I made my predictions back in February and said Trump would be around 1k in the delegates, I was closer than 538, and made correct calls in WI. Wink

So again, you're harping on a state that I awarded to Trump, said would be solid Trump and it went that way.

Struck the parts that aren't relevant replies to my criticisms of your methodological explanation of your Rhode Island allocation.  Try again.  I will repost the criticism verbatim if you've lost it.

*sigh*. He won VA, KY and lost in Ohio. He's not a strong nominee by any stretch of the name. A weak nominee like Romney would have wrapped it up with OH and FL. He did not. A weak nominee like Romney would have finished him off in WI, and not need it to go to NY, Trump needed that.

Again, struck the parts that aren't relevant to my criticism.  I agree he's a relatively weak nominee.  My criticism of your methodology is not "Trump is a strong nominee."  You're babbling.  Again, I will repost the criticism verbatim if you've lost it.

I get what you're saying, but I just don't see the core faith in WV must go Trump other than that he needs it for his delegates. Wink

I don't have "core faith" that West Virginia will go Trump.  I think you're trying to imply that I only think Trump will win West Virginia because I want him to, which is totally ridiculous because: 1) I don't like Trump at all; and, 2) if you check my post history, you'll find very little connection between things I want to happen and things I predict will happen, because I'm aware that my preferences don't have any more influence on reality than anyone else's.

Show me data. I'm not sure I buy the consensus here, and I am keeping it a Cruz call.

I just did...the county thing, which you seem to have ignored, and which you could have checked, even if you hadn't been aware that we have a poll (which has also been pointed out to you).  That's obviously a much better approach than extrapolating from a non-random sample of n=2.

I wish I had a national county map handy so I could show you how West Virginia forms a giant hole surrounded by strong Trump areas in every adjacent county with similar socioeconomic features.  Would you accept that that's much stronger evidence than "I know two Cruz voters there"?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2016, 08:12:00 PM »

He still lost to Kasich. That doesn't give me tremendous faith in his ability to deliver voters.

Most consider the actual results to be relevant.

Given that he's a relatively weak nominee, that Cruz is more conservative and WV is generally a conservative state, these are all solid arguments for Cruz in WV.

The irony is that you're harping on me for a successful call of RI for Trump. Wink I predicted the sweep because I know the NE.

I was being facetious in order to force out the actual sources behind all the WV calls. I've seen the evidence, I don't find his weak pluralities in TN or KY, and his outright loss in OH particularly compelling.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2016, 08:13:57 PM »

Alcon, don't keep taking the bait.  It's getting kind of silly. Tongue
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2016, 08:14:14 PM »

West Virginia strikes me as an anti-Conservative state...
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2016, 08:15:37 PM »

A: Trump lost OH to Kasich, I think Cruz will win in WV

B: Actually he did really well in the Appalachian areas surrounding West Virginia in Ohio, and he did the same in KY, PA, and VA. Trump is objectively heavily favored to win there.

A: Nope, he lost OH to Kasich, he cannot deliver voters. WV is safe Cruz. The priesthood is rising.

B: ...
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »

West Virginia strikes me as an anti-Conservative state...

Tell that to the two friends of Ben Kenobi who are voting for Ted Cruz!!!
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »

There's something oddly Trumpian in Kenobi's willingness to double down in the face of contradictory reality.
dax00

« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2016, 08:20:07 PM »

The irony is that you're harping on me for a successful call of RI for Trump. Wink I predicted the sweep because I know the NE.
You CANNOT predict a sweep of Rhode Island that requires a minimum of 80.1% of the votes *facepalm*

Ohio is Kasich's ****ing homestate and nearly irrelevant to West Virginia save the southern border, which clearly favors Trump.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2016, 08:20:56 PM »

WOW MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:18 PM »

And yet, he still lost to Kasich in a two-man race. That is the point I'm trying to drive home here. Crubio topped him in WV and KY and TN, he lost to Kasich heads up in OH.

I wouldn't be nearly so confident in his ability to win in WV. I'm also amused in the utter devotion of Trumpbots to "Trump will sweep WV" because he obviously needs the delegates. Smiley
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2016, 08:29:52 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2016, 08:42:46 PM by Grad Students are the Worst »

Right, Ben Kenobi, my criticism is that you called Rhode Island for Trump (unlike all those people who didn't!).  That's it.  I am envious of your grasp of Northeastern politics -- almost as envious as your totally reasonable call that Trump would somehow deny Cruz and Kasich the delegate threshold there, which would have required keeping them under 10%.  All of my criticisms of you are because I want Trump to win, because I like him so much, and because I have such an extensive record of making probabilistic evaluations based on my personal desires.  You got me.

I'm glad you find the two guys you know from West Virginia more indicative of that state's results than previous results in socioeconomically and culturally comparable areas.

HOW ARE YOU A REAL PERSON
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies