Is the Republican party a racist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:01:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the Republican party a racist party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is the Republican party a racist party?  (Read 3406 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 30, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »

Trump is the presumptive nominee and the runner up is an extremist who tries to act like Trump/espouse similar beliefs whenever he can. I don't think the nation has become more racist but it has exposed the seething underbelly of this country and the Republican party. These are people who think all immigrants are criminals and all Muslims are terrorists. And I think the worst part about all this is that these people will deny being racists when you call them out on it! This whole election is just incredibly sad. There are just so many trashy, useless people in this world.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:07 PM »

That depends on what you mean by 'a racist party'. Does the Republican party have a lot of racists? Sure. Do they have racist politicians? Some. Does the party as a whole deserve to be painted as the racist party? Nope.

It's my view that the party elites used the racism of their constituents to further their own goals. They played to those attributes for electoral success.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 02:03:13 PM »

Nope. Nothing racist about the Southern Strategy. Lmao
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »

It's my view that the party elites used the racism of their constituents to further their own goals. They played to those attributes for electoral success.

Then doesn't that mean they are a racist party if they used the racism of their supporters for electoral gain? I will grant the elites that they did it in a respectable, dog whistle sort of way, as opposed to openly fanning racial tensions. And neither were their policies inherently racist, but rather anti-poor (which ends up hitting more minorities). Now it seems like the Republican party will entertain what it's base really wants, which is Medicare, Social Security and other goodies for whites, while non-whites get nothing and are called criminals, terrorists, thugs etc.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 02:11:03 PM »

Then doesn't that mean they are a racist party if they used the racism of their supporters for electoral gain? I will grant the elites that they did it in a respectable, dog whistle sort of way, as opposed to openly fanning racial tensions. And neither were their policies inherently racist, but rather anti-poor (which ends up hitting more minorities). Now it seems like the Republican party will entertain what it's base really wants, which is Medicare, Social Security and other goodies for whites, while non-whites get nothing and are called criminals, terrorists, thugs etc.

I think it is debatable, but I would say a lot of Republicans are not truly racist to the core, either. After all, Democrats have racists of their own (not nearly as many, though, imo).

For them to be officially considered a racist party, I think their platform has to include blatantly racist goals. Either that or the vast, vast majority of the party (like 75%+) has to be racist, with a large contingent of vocal, seething racists.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »

I think it is debatable, but I would say a lot of Republicans are not truly racist to the core, either. After all, Democrats have racists of their own (not nearly as many, though, imo).

For them to be officially considered a racist party, I think their platform has to include blatantly racist goals. Either that or the vast, vast majority of the party (like 75%+) has to be racist, with a large contingent of vocal, seething racists.

It depends on how you define "racist", sure. Are the majority of Republicans KKK supporters? No, of course not. But they are Trump supporters. These people are bigots who think all Muslims are terrorists and that most immigrants are criminals who only come here for the "benefits" as opposed to working hard and providing more opportunities for their families. Opposing immigration is not at all inherently racist. Calling immigrants rapists and criminals is though.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2016, 02:14:50 PM »

No. Racism has become something other than what it used to be. In other words, 40 years ago, I'd be considered pro-feminism. But the definitions keep getting so radical, at this point I'm considered anti-feminism.

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

Also, these protesters are more bark than bite. A few hundred at a rally in California. But the pro-Trump crowd was about 32,000 people. Who is the real crowd here?

"We don't believe Trump should speak because we feel he is offensive!" Good lord. I feel Bernie Sanders shouldn't speak because he offends me. What would make their being offended overrule my being offended?

FYI, in our country of laws, being offended is NOT AGAINST THE LAW!! It's not a crime to hurt feelings. But jumping on cars and blocking traffic is.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2016, 02:20:07 PM »

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

Sure, but wanting to deport 11 million people and revoke birthright citizenship smells an awful lot like ethnic cleansing.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »

Sure, but wanting to deport 11 million people and revoke birthright citizenship smells an awful lot like ethnic cleansing.

That's your opinion. You have yours I have mine Trump has his. That's America. You cannot say, "Well...I FEEL that I'm right..therefore you can't speak." That's not America.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 02:28:20 PM »

That's your opinion. You have yours I have mine Trump has his. That's America. You cannot say, "Well...I FEEL that I'm right..therefore you can't speak." That's not America.

And I don't see anyone saying that, except extremists on both sides that are in no way representative of the vast majority.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 02:29:36 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 02:35:54 PM by RR1997 »

No

Donald Trump is not a racist and at least 60% of his supporters aren't either. Trump is still awful though.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 02:32:34 PM »

No, otherwise I wouldn't be a Republican.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 02:33:05 PM »

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?
RR1997
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2016, 02:33:56 PM »

Saying that all Republicans are racist is equivalent to saying that all Democrats are communists. Grow up.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 02:34:56 PM »

It's not inherently racist, but many Republican voters and politicians happen to be racist.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2016, 02:37:01 PM by RR1997 »

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?

Statistics have shown that immigrants are much less likely to commit crimes than native-born citizens.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2016, 02:36:19 PM »

I think there are alot of stupid people in America who do not understand our laws.

Being a racist - Not illegal
Being offensive - Not illegal
Controversial statements - Not illegal
Emotional assault - Not illegal
Jumping on police cars - Illegal
Blocking traffic - Illegal
Physical assault - Illegal

Catch my drift? They are morons.

Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2016, 02:44:28 PM »

Democrats come off as elitist when they keep saying this. Instead of ridiculing 'rednecks', actually try to talk to them because a lot of them are poor and should be voting Democratic.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 02:46:26 PM »

Democrats come off as elitist when they keep saying this. Instead of ridiculing 'rednecks', actually try to talk to them because a lot of them are poor and should be voting Democratic.

Here's an article that I think you might really like.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2016, 02:47:55 PM »

Anyone remember when Gov. Deal refuses to support ending segregated prom?
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2016, 02:50:53 PM »

Statistics have shown that immigrants are much less likely to commit crimes than native-born citizens.

Reaganfan keeps avoiding this fact.
He doesn't want to touch it, because the truth hurts. The issue is beyond just "following the law and keeping people from coming across the border." trump said more than that !
It's easier for people who support trump, to just put on their blinders and cover their ears to some of what Little-Hands-Drumpf-Fuhrer said, and just accept and intake what they like most.
Pure mental denial.
Fargobison

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2016, 02:56:56 PM »

GOP primary exit poll after exit poll say a majority supports a path to citizenship.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2016, 02:57:46 PM »

No

Donald Trump is not a racist and 80% of his supporters aren't either. Trump is still awful though.
No, otherwise I wouldn't be a Republican.

Guys, I understand why you feel like you are Republicans. I also hate paying so much in taxes when much of it is being wasted on public employee unions and endless wars. I want to be able to keep at least some of my FICA taxes to invest in a way of my choosing. I think premium support should be introduced in Medicare and there should be greater cost sharing, especially for those who can afford it. I would be quite content if the Ryan budget was adopted.

That being said I understand I am not a Republican and wouldn't be accepted into the Republican party. I knew this before, but the 2016 election has made it crystal clear. Both of you are not going to be accepted by the Republican rank and file either. That doesn't make you Democrats but you guys just are not Republicans.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2016, 03:01:20 PM »

Reaganfan keeps avoiding this fact.
He doesn't want to touch it, because the truth hurts. The issue is beyond just "following the law and keeping people from coming across the border." trump said more than that !
It's easier for people who support trump, to just put on their blinders and cover their ears to some of what Little-Hands-Drumpf-Fuhrer said, and just accept and intake what they like most.
Pure mental denial.

I'm not avoiding the fact. First of all, most Republicans support some path to citizenship. So your argument that all Republicans wanna keep Mexicans out is ridiculously flawed.

The fact is you liberals believe in freedom of Speech, unless you disagree with it. That doesn't make it illegal. You can't outlaw vague opinions. Racism, offensiveness, they're all opinions. I find things offensive you might not. We can't outlaw them.

I think the sad truth for me is...I don't really care. Do I care of my President is pro-gay marriage or against it? Not really. Do I care if my President wants to build a wall or create a pathway to citizenship? Not really. (After all, I'd vote for Jeb as fast as I'd vote for Trump) Do I care about the color of my Presidents skin? No, I really could care less. I'd vote for Condi Rice should she be the GOP nominee.

It's sad when in 2016 America, REAGANFAN is the open-minded one.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2016, 03:01:50 PM »

Saying that all Republicans are racist is equivalent to saying that all Democrats are communists. Grow up.

I actually didn't say that all Republicans are racist but that a majority are. Refusing to see what your party is composed of is pretty silly. Why don't you grow up and accept reality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies