Is the Republican party a racist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:45:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the Republican party a racist party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is the Republican party a racist party?  (Read 3428 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2016, 06:16:51 PM »

The USA is overly sympathetic on crime and illegal immigration.

Example
: The US Supreme Court said that an illegal immigrant cannot be detained indefintely if their country of origin refuses to take them back.

The following countries will not cooperate with US deportation laws for citizen's found guilty of committing a serious crime.

Afghanistan, Algeria, Burundi, Cape Verde, China, Cuba, Eritrea, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, India, Iran, Iraq, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, and Zimbabwe.

Result: The murder of Connecticut resident Casey Chadwick.

The illegal immigrant who was convicted in the June 2015 killing of Chadwick was a Haitian national named Jean Jacques. Jacques, 41, had a previous attempted murder conviction and should have been deported, but Haiti would not take him back.

Source: http://dailysignal.com/2016/04/28/in-2015-19000-criminal-illegal-immigrants-were-released-from-custody/

19,000 criminals who are illegal immigrants are released from prison back into US society every year to commit further crimes.

That is the most disgraceful result directly attributable to  government policy imaginable.

Why don't you back up your previous assertion instead of trying to skirt the issue with more nonsense?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2016, 06:23:43 PM »

No, like the BJP (a very similar party in some respects) it contains multitudes. Whether non racist factions share responsibility for their brethren is another matter.

However:

There is racism embedded in more fundamentalist strict far-right sects of the party, that's easy to agree on. I believe it is still transitioning away from many southern-style Republicans and the recent generation putting the final shovels of dirt on the segregationist roots.

But absolutely no, it as a party is not racist: it's more realistic and less afraid of the hard-racial truths the country faces, while meanwhile it's opponents, Democrats, act as if they do not exist or live in a fairytail world. Sometimes it's not easy to ask the hard questions that may raise eyebrows or upset feelings. Simple as that.

> 'moderate' Republican who looks down on extreme base
> starts rambling about "racial truths"
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2016, 06:31:50 PM »

No, like the BJP (a very similar party in some respects) it contains multitudes. Whether non racist factions share responsibility for their brethren is another matter.

However:

There is racism embedded in more fundamentalist strict far-right sects of the party, that's easy to agree on. I believe it is still transitioning away from many southern-style Republicans and the recent generation putting the final shovels of dirt on the segregationist roots.

But absolutely no, it as a party is not racist: it's more realistic and less afraid of the hard-racial truths the country faces, while meanwhile it's opponents, Democrats, act as if they do not exist or live in a fairytail world. Sometimes it's not easy to ask the hard questions that may raise eyebrows or upset feelings. Simple as that.

Yes, I also agree that the Republican party and the BJP have a lot of similarities. The difference this year has been how open the bigotry has been with the Trump candidacy. You did not see that with Modi's campaign, where every effort was made to portray him as a moderate who will respect all religions. It does remain to be seen what Trump will do in the general of course.....
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2016, 06:36:09 PM »

hard "racial truths" seem like something Republicans are direly trying not to talk about - I mean they're getting upset about putting Harriet Tubman on a $20 Bill for god sakes!
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:31 PM »

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

Sure, but wanting to deport 11 million people and revoke birthright citizenship smells an awful lot like ethnic cleansing.

You know, most countries on earth do not have birthright citizenship.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2016, 06:50:33 PM »

Not unless the Democrats are intentionally anti-white. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 07:04:32 PM »

However:

Glad I'm not the only guy who noticed that. Tongue
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »

Not everyone who votes Republican is racist, but the party establishment is, for the most part.
Proof?

The whole DC thing.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 07:11:42 PM »

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

Sure, but wanting to deport 11 million people and revoke birthright citizenship smells an awful lot like ethnic cleansing.

You know, most countries on earth do not have birthright citizenship.

So? The U.S. has had it for around 150 years (at least). So to suddenly want jettison it because it currently happens to largely benefit people of a certain ancestry should raise some red flags.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 07:30:04 PM »

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?

Statistics have shown that immigrants are much less likely to commit crimes than native-born citizens.

Reaganfan keeps avoiding this fact.
He doesn't want to touch it, because the truth hurts. The issue is beyond just "following the law and keeping people from coming across the border." trump said more than that !
It's easier for people who support trump, to just put on their blinders and cover their ears to some of what Little-Hands-Drumpf-Fuhrer said, and just accept and intake what they like most.
Pure mental denial.

I'm not avoiding the fact. First of all, most Republicans support some path to citizenship. So your argument that all Republicans wanna keep Mexicans out is ridiculously flawed.

The fact is you liberals believe in freedom of Speech, unless you disagree with it. That doesn't make it illegal. You can't outlaw vague opinions. Racism, offensiveness, they're all opinions. I find things offensive you might not. We can't outlaw them.

I think the sad truth for me is...I don't really care. Do I care of my President is pro-gay marriage or against it? Not really. Do I care if my President wants to build a wall or create a pathway to citizenship? Not really. (After all, I'd vote for Jeb as fast as I'd vote for Trump) Do I care about the color of my Presidents skin? No, I really could care less. I'd vote for Condi Rice should she be the GOP nominee.

It's sad when in 2016 America, REAGANFAN is the open-minded one.

Oh for crissakes, Reaganfan. NO ONE HERE SPOKE ABOUT "OUTLAWING" OPPOSING POINTS OF VIEWS!! No one here, that is, except YOU.

What's happening here is some posters are suggesting that the GOP is racist based in part on campaign rhetoric from likely nominee Trump. That DOES NOT mean they are forbidding such comments or limiting free speech by Trump or supporters, but rather THEY are expressing THEIR right to free speech.

Really man, many of your posts....fail to catch the point to put it nicely, but you shouldn't need something this basic explained to you.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2016, 07:34:09 PM »

I'm unwilling to say that it is, if only because there are some good-hearted Republicans (including on this forum) who I know are not racist, but at the same time many of the policies advocated have Lee Atwater's insidious imprint on them.   
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2016, 07:36:25 PM »

this is the kind of result that could only happen on a 99%white forum
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2016, 07:37:27 PM »

I'm not sure. I don't think most Republicans are racist, although most racists now do find a home in the Republican Party. It's not a coincidence that the Civil Rights Act was passed and Southern whites began switching en masse to the Republican Party, most notably Strom Thurmond in 1964. Although it has taken a few decades, the realignment of Southern whites to the Republican Party appears complete. With perhaps the exception of a favourite son in 1976, the party that has dominated the Deep South has been the home of racists.

I haven't seen a linear regression of it (and maybe I might make one), but I would note the strong correlation between a state's black population and the share of whites that vote Republican (two of the most black states, MS and AL, have whites voting 85-90% Republican).

Over time though, racism had become less overt and more subtle in terms of messaging. A large part of it now expresses itself in a xenophobic anti-immigrant voice. However, there are more traditional racist elements that express  themselves in the more traditional way of attempting to deny minority voting rights. Voter ID, racial gerrymandering, and felony disenfranchisement are just a few of the major ways it's accomplished. And of course, there's also the refusal to accept the legitimacy of President Obama or even the fact that he's an American citizen.

As far as the Republican Establishment goes, I don't think it is overtly racist, but I do think they condone it and accept it within their party (short of Donald Trump, of course). They condone it so long as it is politically expedient (i.e. more subtle and low-key). Whereas the Establishment may condone or even accept policies that are racist in application, they generally fear the overt xenophobic, racist, anti-immigrant, birtherist, nationalistic voices within their party that has taken form as the Trump candidacy.

I'm just elaborating on my thoughts and not making any conclusions right now, but I'm becoming more inclined to answer in the affirmative. If the Republican Party becomes what Donald Trump is espousing, I think my inclinations would be confirmed.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »

I'm unwilling to say that it is, if only because there are some good-hearted Republicans (including on this forum) who I know are not racist, but at the same time many of the policies advocated have Lee Atwater's insidious imprint on them.   

Yes, of course there are good people in the Republican party. Though what this election has shown is that they are not the heart and soul of the party, the racists are. That is what I am pointing out.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2016, 07:41:15 PM »

No.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »

Yes, of course there are good people in the Republican party. Though what this election has shown is that they are not the heart and soul of the party, the racists are. That is what I am pointing out.

I get that, but if I start saying the Republican Party as a whole is racist, then I am in effect calling them racist as well. 
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2016, 07:46:41 PM »

Over time though, racism had become less overt and more subtle in terms of messaging. A large part of it now expresses itself in a xenophobic anti-immigrant voice. However, there are more traditional racist elements that express  themselves in the more traditional way of attempting to deny minority voting rights. Voter ID, racial gerrymandering, and felony disenfranchisement are just a few of the major ways it's accomplished. And of course, there's also the refusal to accept the legitimacy of President Obama or even the fact that he's an American citizen.
There is a name for that: Dog-whistle politics
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »

Interesting to see that many who have the biggest problem with Donald Trump saying something like "all Mexican's are criminals", these are the same people who have no problem saying "all Republicans are racist". News flash: both statements are indefensible, and downright dumb.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2016, 08:05:49 PM »

Interesting to see that many who have the biggest problem with Donald Trump saying something like "all Mexican's are criminals", these are the same people who have no problem saying "all Republicans are racist". News flash: both statements are indefensible, and downright dumb.

Who exactly has said that "all republicans are racist"? A majority are voting for a racist candidate though.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »

Who exactly has said that "all republicans are racist"? A majority are voting for a racist candidate though.

Well, you tell me: what does it mean for a party to be racist? Does it mean that anyone who registers as a Republican is a racist? Does it mean that anyone who votes for a Republican is a racist? Please clarify what is meant by the question...
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2016, 08:40:21 PM »

Well, you tell me: what does it mean for a party to be racist? Does it mean that anyone who registers as a Republican is a racist? Does it mean that anyone who votes for a Republican is a racist? Please clarify what is meant by the question...

Well, I am registered Republican so......No, not everyone who registers Republican is racist. The majority is racist though, and they are supporting a candidate who openly fans racial tensions and divides the nation. It is just very sad to witness.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2016, 09:06:27 PM »

Well political scientists have traditionally considered a "political party" to be composed of three components: (1) the party in the electorate (the voters), (2) the party in government (the party's elected officials), and (3) the party as an organization (the officials making up the national committee, the officials of the various state party organizations, your precinct chairs, etc.).  So "the Republican party" is definitely more than the collection of voters who identify as or vote Republican. 

With that understanding, I do not read this question as "Are a majority of Republicans racists?" and I don't think any reasonable person in this thread has read it that way either. I read the question as something to the effect of "Do the actions of the Republican party apparatus , taken as a whole, tend to constitute a driving force of racism in our country?" 

For what it's worth, I don't think a majority of people identifying as Republicans in the country are racists. That being said, it is clear that there are a troubling number of racists in the Republican party. What is even more alarming though is that none of the "leaders" of the Republican party seem at all interested in doing anything to rectify that situation. Republican party elites tend to at best tacitly condone the racist elements of their party and at worst push policies intentionally designed to stoke racial tensions in order to bolster electoral success. That's racist.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?

Statistics have shown that immigrants are much less likely to commit crimes than native-born citizens.

Reaganfan keeps avoiding this fact.
He doesn't want to touch it, because the truth hurts. The issue is beyond just "following the law and keeping people from coming across the border." trump said more than that !
It's easier for people who support trump, to just put on their blinders and cover their ears to some of what Little-Hands-Drumpf-Fuhrer said, and just accept and intake what they like most.
Pure mental denial.

I'm not avoiding the fact. First of all, most Republicans support some path to citizenship. So your argument that all Republicans wanna keep Mexicans out is ridiculously flawed.

The fact is you liberals believe in freedom of Speech, unless you disagree with it. That doesn't make it illegal. You can't outlaw vague opinions. Racism, offensiveness, they're all opinions. I find things offensive you might not. We can't outlaw them.

I think the sad truth for me is...I don't really care. Do I care of my President is pro-gay marriage or against it? Not really. Do I care if my President wants to build a wall or create a pathway to citizenship? Not really. (After all, I'd vote for Jeb as fast as I'd vote for Trump) Do I care about the color of my Presidents skin? No, I really could care less. I'd vote for Condi Rice should she be the GOP nominee.

It's sad when in 2016 America, REAGANFAN is the open-minded one.

Oh for crissakes, Reaganfan. NO ONE HERE SPOKE ABOUT "OUTLAWING" OPPOSING POINTS OF VIEWS!! No one here, that is, except YOU.

What's happening here is some posters are suggesting that the GOP is racist based in part on campaign rhetoric from likely nominee Trump. That DOES NOT mean they are forbidding such comments or limiting free speech by Trump or supporters, but rather THEY are expressing THEIR right to free speech.

Really man, many of your posts....fail to catch the point to put it nicely, but you shouldn't need something this basic explained to you.

Just returned to this website, and read Reaganfan's post.
And I am thinking the same as what Badger just wrote.

Reaganfan,
You wrote: "your argument that all Republicans wanna keep Mexicans out is ridiculously flawed."
Where did I write that ? I have never held that position before.

You wrote: "The fact is you liberals believe in freedom of Speech, unless you disagree with it.. That doesn't make it illegal. You can't outlaw vague opinions. Racism, offensiveness, they're all opinions. I find things offensive you might not. We can't outlaw them."
Again, I never said anything remotely close to this. Nor have I seen anyone else say that opinions are "illegal" and should be "outlawed." That is ridiculous ! Of course everyone has a right to "speech" and "opinions."

In conclusion: You are delusional !! It seems that you create these weird and strange ideas in your head, so that you feel better about your own positions. NO ONE is trying to control your freedom of speech. Feel free to express your opinions. And don't worry .... there are no monsters under your bed or in your closet. Geeeeshhh.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2016, 10:54:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Plurality!= Majority.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2016, 11:43:28 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Plurality!= Majority.

A majority probably would if there was a national primary today. He will likely get a majority in California and close to it in Indiana. I hope I'm wrong but I'm probably not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies