Is the Republican party a racist party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:25:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is the Republican party a racist party?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 128

Author Topic: Is the Republican party a racist party?  (Read 3404 times)
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2016, 04:55:55 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Plurality!= Majority.
~99%, however, is a majority.
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2016, 06:01:15 AM »

Interesting to see that many who have the biggest problem with Donald Trump saying something like "all Mexican's are criminals", these are the same people who have no problem saying "all Republicans are racist". News flash: both statements are indefensible, and downright dumb.

Who exactly has said that "all republicans are racist"? A majority are voting for a racist candidate though.

Well, you tell me: what does it mean for a party to be racist? Does it mean that anyone who registers as a Republican is a racist? Does it mean that anyone who votes for a Republican is a racist? Please clarify what is meant by the question...

Well political scientists have traditionally considered a "political party" to be composed of three components: (1) the party in the electorate (the voters), (2) the party in government (the party's elected officials), and (3) the party as an organization (the officials making up the national committee, the officials of the various state party organizations, your precinct chairs, etc.).  So "the Republican party" is definitely more than the collection of voters who identify as or vote Republican. 

With that understanding, I do not read this question as "Are a majority of Republicans racists?" and I don't think any reasonable person in this thread has read it that way either. I read the question as something to the effect of "Do the actions of the Republican party apparatus , taken as a whole, tend to constitute a driving force of racism in our country?" 

For what it's worth, I don't think a majority of people identifying as Republicans in the country are racists. That being said, it is clear that there are a troubling number of racists in the Republican party. What is even more alarming though is that none of the "leaders" of the Republican party seem at all interested in doing anything to rectify that situation. Republican party elites tend to at best tacitly condone the racist elements of their party and at worst push policies intentionally designed to stoke racial tensions in order to bolster electoral success. That's racist.

Well, you fail to offer any evidence to support the claim that "party elites" condone or push racist elements/policies. People today are quick to label things racist or sexist. But by your definition, the Democratic party is the much more racist party. How so? By their taking the position that there's something wrong with a black or hispanic person who happens to identify with the Republican party. Because clearly the acceptable black or hispanic person is a Democrat, anyone else is either not thinking straight or is somehow no longer black or hispanic. That's racist. That's the problematic view that's never discussed, because it's taken as a given, it's taken as fact. But here's a question: which party ran a black or hispanic candidate this time around? Are these people racists? Do they condone racist policies? Or has this simply become the party line of the opposition?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2016, 06:16:16 AM »

Again, the fact of the matter is that the majority of Republicans have rejected Trump outright. Why paint all of them with that brush?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2016, 06:19:54 AM »

Again, the fact of the matter is that the majority of Republicans have rejected Trump outright. Why paint all of them with that brush?
again, the fact of the matter is that cruz and kasich are barely, if at all, less racist than trump
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2016, 07:22:49 AM »

People today are quick to label things racist or sexist.

Very quick. Once you are on the internet, it is a series of self-centered monkey spheres battling for online supremacy.

So my opinion is better than yours. I am intellectually better than you. As of right now.

Calling you racist or sexist helps one realise this level of superiority.

Captain keyboard-o-correctness wins the day.

The only issue i have with the US primary season is that this  political charged dissonance and argument of disgust at opinions essentially removes others from the process of discussion.

But each persons view is equal from a voting point of view in a democracy.

Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2016, 07:33:15 AM »

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?

That is NOT what Trump said. 

Trump was referring to ILLEGAL immigrants.  And murder, rape, drug activity, and other violent criminal activity has come to America in the form of Transnational Gang members from Mexico and Central America. 

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34233.pdf

These folks "do their business" (often violent business for foreign drug cartels) in the streets of American cities.  They get to do so because of the porousness of our borders.  I believe, quite frankly, that our President, and our Presidential candidates, all of them, ought to be discussing this issue in its proper context.

Border Security is an element of Public Safety, which is a fundamental function of government and a right of every person living in America.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2016, 10:49:01 AM »

Sbane, congrats on making the dumbest thread in the history of the 2016 board.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2016, 10:55:41 AM »

Saying you want to follow the law and keep people from coming across the border unless they do it legally is not racist. Any single way you slice it.

What about saying the majority of immigrants are rapists? Is that racist enough for you?

That is NOT what Trump said. 

Trump was referring to ILLEGAL immigrants.  And murder, rape, drug activity, and other violent criminal activity has come to America in the form of Transnational Gang members from Mexico and Central America. 

http://fas.org/sgp/crs/row/RL34233.pdf

These folks "do their business" (often violent business for foreign drug cartels) in the streets of American cities.  They get to do so because of the porousness of our borders.  I believe, quite frankly, that our President, and our Presidential candidates, all of them, ought to be discussing this issue in its proper context.

Border Security is an element of Public Safety, which is a fundamental function of government and a right of every person living in America.

So you think most illegal immigrants are rapists? Is there data to back that up? is there even data to back up if illegal immigrants commit more crimes than the general population?

You know fuzzy this stuff is nasty. I suspect you will deny being a racist so then why do you support a candidate who is ripping this country apart to gain votes? As a non-white person in America I know who he is appealing to. People who just assume most immigrants and non-whites are criminals even though there is no data to back that up. People who assume all Muslims are terrorists and clutch their pearls when a person who is or "looks" Muslim steps on a plane. How can any decent person defend all this? Of course this primary season has made me realize the majority of Republicans are racist and reprehensible humans who operate on fear and don't care about facts.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2016, 11:40:00 AM »

In Bizarro land, Cruz is racist while Hillary is not.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2016, 11:40:19 AM »

Yes, and it has been since the Dixiecrats started dying off and the parties changed platforms.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2016, 11:47:10 AM »

Interesting to see that many who have the biggest problem with Donald Trump saying something like "all Mexican's are criminals", these are the same people who have no problem saying "all Republicans are racist". News flash: both statements are indefensible, and downright dumb.

Who exactly has said that "all republicans are racist"? A majority are voting for a racist candidate though.

Well, you tell me: what does it mean for a party to be racist? Does it mean that anyone who registers as a Republican is a racist? Does it mean that anyone who votes for a Republican is a racist? Please clarify what is meant by the question...

Well political scientists have traditionally considered a "political party" to be composed of three components: (1) the party in the electorate (the voters), (2) the party in government (the party's elected officials), and (3) the party as an organization (the officials making up the national committee, the officials of the various state party organizations, your precinct chairs, etc.).  So "the Republican party" is definitely more than the collection of voters who identify as or vote Republican. 

With that understanding, I do not read this question as "Are a majority of Republicans racists?" and I don't think any reasonable person in this thread has read it that way either. I read the question as something to the effect of "Do the actions of the Republican party apparatus , taken as a whole, tend to constitute a driving force of racism in our country?" 

For what it's worth, I don't think a majority of people identifying as Republicans in the country are racists. That being said, it is clear that there are a troubling number of racists in the Republican party. What is even more alarming though is that none of the "leaders" of the Republican party seem at all interested in doing anything to rectify that situation. Republican party elites tend to at best tacitly condone the racist elements of their party and at worst push policies intentionally designed to stoke racial tensions in order to bolster electoral success. That's racist.

To put it another way:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2016, 12:02:18 PM »

With Garland and bathroom law and TX vote law shows that GOP is intolerant towards minority rights. Govt has no business dictating privacy issues in bathroom. And Trump is the lightening rod when he said Clinton only is where she is because she's a female.

Glen Beck, Bill Kristol, Sununu and George Will say the GOP must defeat Trump
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »

To those blue avatars saying No:

Remind me again who your party's presidential frontrunner is?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2016, 06:42:52 PM »

#100thvote
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2016, 06:51:41 PM »

It's a rare day that the one born in Arkansas in the 40s is not the racist. Wink
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2016, 06:57:00 PM »

It's a rare day that the one born in Arkansas in the 40s is not the racist. Wink

Um, speaking as someone voting against her in November, how is Hillary racist? Seriously, a lot of things can be said against her, but you seem to be pulling that out of your ass.

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:02 PM »

Ted Cruz is the most racist candidate I have seen on my lifetime. Trump is saving this party from its racist past.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: May 01, 2016, 09:17:04 PM »

How is Cruz racist? FFS.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:52 AM »

In Bizarro land, Cruz is racist while Hillary is not.

never said that, bubs
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2016, 03:24:54 AM »

No

Donald Trump is not a racist and 80% of his supporters aren't either. Trump is still awful though.
No, otherwise I wouldn't be a Republican.

Guys, I understand why you feel like you are Republicans. I also hate paying so much in taxes when much of it is being wasted on public employee unions and endless wars. I want to be able to keep at least some of my FICA taxes to invest in a way of my choosing. I think premium support should be introduced in Medicare and there should be greater cost sharing, especially for those who can afford it. I would be quite content if the Ryan budget was adopted.

That being said I understand I am not a Republican and wouldn't be accepted into the Republican party. I knew this before, but the 2016 election has made it crystal clear. Both of you are not going to be accepted by the Republican rank and file either. That doesn't make you Democrats but you guys just are not Republicans.

Might god you have moved to the right. I seem to recall you being not quite so conservative economically. Wink

Right, because leaving the party is surely going to make it change its views. Indeed, the departure of people from the party has only moved the Trump demographic to being a larger proporation of the party.

Leaving has been the answer for 40 years by moderates and yet people are shocked, shocked I tell you find that the Party has become more conservative and more hostile on the issues. You don't win a war by running away, you win it by standing and fighting back. Tongue
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2016, 03:33:05 AM »

I'm not sure. I don't think most Republicans are racist, although most racists now do find a home in the Republican Party. It's not a coincidence that the Civil Rights Act was passed and Southern whites began switching en masse to the Republican Party, most notably Strom Thurmond in 1964. Although it has taken a few decades, the realignment of Southern whites to the Republican Party appears complete. With perhaps the exception of a favourite son in 1976, the party that has dominated the Deep South has been the home of racists.

The South was trending Republican from 1948 onwards. Obviously, the CRA of 1964 is reponsible for starting it. It augmented the trend, sure. But it was a combination of issues that flipped rural, white Southerners and race was one of many, and the CRA actually damaged the GOP in the southern states they had been previously gaining ground in VA, TN and FL. Of course you didn't distinguish, you just said Southern whites, which were trending GOP for over a decade before the CRA.

Now race did play a roll, along with generational change. With fewer Civil War generation members around, and the move towards Civil Rights by the Dems in 1948, there was little desire on the part of middle class professionals, small businessmen and white collar workers to continue voting differently than similar demographics elsewhere. So instead, they started voting for the Party of business and money. 

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2016, 10:26:26 AM »

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking that educated middle class suburban whites (in the South or elsewhere, for that matter) were less racist than poor, rural, undereducated, and working class (and I note that these terms are not interchangeable!) whites in any significant way. Anyone with even a cursory understanding of how the mass suburbs of the 20th century developed (and in many cases, why they developed) could tell you that racism was deeply embedded into the suburban environment  - particularly in regard to real estate and schools.

On an interpersonal level, there's a disturbing tendency to equate education and affluence with being less racist. Just because the racism of upscale suburban whites is more 'subtle' (and even that is not always the case) doesn't mean it's any less of a thing. If anything, the combination of less 'obvious' racism with middle class elitism and entitlement is more insidious (and therefore, more dangerous) than the more blatant forms of racism often associated with downscale whites.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2016, 01:43:05 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 06:09:41 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

No

Donald Trump is not a racist and 80% of his supporters aren't either. Trump is still awful though.
No, otherwise I wouldn't be a Republican.

Guys, I understand why you feel like you are Republicans. I also hate paying so much in taxes when much of it is being wasted on public employee unions and endless wars. I want to be able to keep at least some of my FICA taxes to invest in a way of my choosing. I think premium support should be introduced in Medicare and there should be greater cost sharing, especially for those who can afford it. I would be quite content if the Ryan budget was adopted.

That being said I understand I am not a Republican and wouldn't be accepted into the Republican party. I knew this before, but the 2016 election has made it crystal clear. Both of you are not going to be accepted by the Republican rank and file either. That doesn't make you Democrats but you guys just are not Republicans.

Might god you have moved to the right. I seem to recall you being not quite so conservative economically. Wink

Right, because leaving the party is surely going to make it change its views. Indeed, the departure of people from the party has only moved the Trump demographic to being a larger proporation of the party.

Leaving has been the answer for 40 years by moderates and yet people are shocked, shocked I tell you find that the Party has become more conservative and more hostile on the issues. You don't win a war by running away, you win it by standing and fighting back. Tongue

The thing is, some wars aren't worth fighting and some people aren't worth standing alongside.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »

I'm unwilling to say that it is, if only because there are some good-hearted Republicans (including on this forum) who I know are not racist, but at the same time many of the policies advocated have Lee Atwater's insidious imprint on them.   

Yes, of course there are good people in the Republican party. Though what this election has shown is that they are not the heart and soul of the party, the racists are. That is what I am pointing out.

If this campaign season has shown anything it is that neither major party has a single "heart and soul."  Both are fragile coalitions of diverse interests.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2016, 06:06:54 PM »

Not unless we define racism in a sense so broadly that it ceases to be a useful term. The problem is, and this is a much broader issue, that people are all too happy to redefine the terms of discussion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies