It's not a complete sentence, is it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:05:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  It's not a complete sentence, is it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: It's not a complete sentence, is it?  (Read 151 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:20:45 AM »

Washington (AFP) - US President Barack Obama has nominated a woman to become the United States Military Academy's first female dean in its 216-year history.
He named Cindy Jebb, a graduate of the prestigious institution -- also known as West Point -- who currently heads its Social Sciences department, the school said in a statement Friday.
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 07:27:31 AM »

"This is a historic time for our military and I'm excited for West Point to have its first woman has to hold this position," said Acting Secretary of the Army Patrick Murphy.

This is incomplete, too.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:56 AM »

Washington (AFP) - US President Barack Obama has nominated a woman to become the United States Military Academy's first female dean in its 216-year history.
He named Cindy Jebb, a graduate of the prestigious institution -- also known as West Point -- who currently heads its Social Sciences department, the school said in a statement Friday.

I think this is ok, though it isn't the way I'd write it. It's a style not uncommon in stories taken from press releases. The underlying sentence is what results from using a sentence structure designed for real quotes. But in this case there is no real quote, just an attribution to the school making the press release.

He named Cindy Jebb, the school said in a statement Friday.

Then there is the clause to describe Cindy Jebb,

He named Cindy Jebb, a graduate of the prestigious institution who currently heads its Social Sciences department, the school said in a statement Friday.

Then there is another clause to name the institution,

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 08:04:06 AM »

"This is a historic time for our military and I'm excited for West Point to have its first woman has to hold this position," said Acting Secretary of the Army Patrick Murphy.

This is incomplete, too.

I think there's a typo in the quote which I corrected above. This is what I found online. It looks it was based on the same press release that was used for your quote.

“This is a historic time for our military and I’m excited for West Point to have its first woman to hold this position.”

The quote itself isn't the best grammar and the underlined word shouldn't be there. Often when a person is speaking a complex sentence, the phrases strung together so that the phrases don't match properly. That may be the case here. The speaker may be thinking of three separate phrases: "This is a historic time for our military,"  "I'm excited for West Point," and "She is the first woman to hold this position." Each is fine alone, but when combined the last one doesn't fit. If the full quote was spoken, a native listener would hear the phrases separately and understand what is meant.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies