"Our Senate" Senate Rankings (Arizona to Michigan)...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  "Our Senate" Senate Rankings (Arizona to Michigan)...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Our Senate" Senate Rankings (Arizona to Michigan)...  (Read 5140 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2005, 07:27:31 PM »

From Our Seante:

Senate 2006 ratings Part I - Arizona to Michigan

I will be assessing all of the Senate races of 2006, rated on a 7-point scale: Solid Democratic, Likely Democratic, Lean Democratic, Toss-Up, Lean Republican, Likely Republican, or Solid Republican. One race, Vermont, is a special case, as it is Solid Independent. This entry includes the first 11 races - Arizona to Michigan.

Arizona - Likely Republican
Incumbent: Jon Kyl (R) - elected in 1994

The last poll had Kyl only polling at 46%, but he was hugely ahead of his fairly unknown likely Democratic challenger, Arizona Democratic Party Chairman Jim Pederson. This may become a race to watch, depending on how Pederson runs his campaign and how Americans feel about the GOP leadership in autumn 2006. For now, Kyl seems heavily favored.

California - Solid Democratic
Incumbent: Dianne Feinstein (D) - elected in 1992 special election

Feinstein is safe and is now more popular than the only Republican who was thought to be able to beat her, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Connecticut - Solid Democratic
Incumbent: Joe Lieberman (D) - elected in 1988

Lieberman may face a liberal primary challenge, but he'll survive and go on to win in a landslide.

Delaware - Solid Democratic
Incumbent: Tom Carper (D) - elected in 2000

Carper is safe.

Florida - Lean Democratic
Incumbent: Bill Nelson (D) - elected in 2000

Nelson got a huge boost this week when Rep. Katherine Harris (R), the divisive architect of Bush's 2000 Florida victory, announced her intentions to challenge him. She will likely bring angry Democrats to the polls in droves. Republican polls already show her losing 41-48 to Nelson, and given that those are partisan polls, Nelson is likely over the magic 50% line. Once considered the most vulnerable Democrat in 2006, Nelson is now the clear favorite by virtue of his opponent's weakness.

Hawaii - Solid Democratic
Incumbent: Daniel Akaka (D) - appointed in 1990

Akaka is running, despite his age, and is very safe.

Indiana - Solid Republican
Incumbent: Richard Lugar (R) - elected in 1976

If former Rep. Tim Roemer (D) decides to run, which he is considering, this will go to Likely Republican or even Lean Republican. But until Roemer decides, Lugar is safe.

Maine - Solid Republican
Incumbent: Olympia Snowe (R) - elected in 1994

Snowe is very popular in Maine for her moderation and willingness to cross party lines.

Maryland - Likely Democratic
Incumbent: Paul Sarbanes (D) - elected in 1976

Sarbanes is retiring, and Rep. Ben Cardin (D), the favorite of Maryland's Democratic establishment, is slightly favored to hold the seat. The last poll showed Cardin beating Lt. Gov. Michael Steele (R), a possible candidate, in a theoretical matchup, 41-37. Given that Steele's name recognition is significantly higher than Cardin's, those are good numbers. Cardin must first beat former NAACP President Kweisi Mfume in the primary, though.

Massachusetts - Solid Democratic
Incumbent: Ted Kennedy (D) - elected in 1962 special election

Kennedy is running for his 8th full term, and will own this seat until he dies.

Michigan - Likely Democratic
Incumbent: Debbie Stabenow (D) - elected in 2000

Stabenow was supposed to be vulnerable, but the weakness of the Republican field leaves her with two major challengers - extremist reverend Keith Butler and Jane Abraham, wife of the Senator Stabenow ousted in 2000. Stabenow leads Butler 57-30 and Abraham 59-30. For Stabenow, it is not the gap, but the actual number she is at, that is reason to cheer. For her to be nearing 60% is excellent given Michigan's swing-state reputation and her expected vulnerability. So, at this point she is a favorite for reelection.

Coming soon: Minnesota to Ohio.

(Our Senate is a site ran by Democrats, but they tend to be non-partisan in their reviews.  If you disagree with any of these just point them out.)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 07:32:56 PM »

Indiana - Solid Republican
Incumbent: Richard Lugar (R) - elected in 1976

If former Rep. Tim Roemer (D) decides to run, which he is considering, this will go to Likely Republican or even Lean Republican. But until Roemer decides, Lugar is safe.
As you noted in a separate thread, Roemer has supposedly decided to "seriously consider" a run. But even if he is running, I think that Lugar would be very difficult to beat - a Likely Republican rating would be appropriate.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:36:13 PM »

As you noted in a separate thread, Roemer has supposedly decided to "seriously consider" a run. But even if he is running, I think that Lugar would be very difficult to beat - a Likely Republican rating would be appropriate.

Yeah, Roemer may be the strongest Democratic candidate, but I still cannot see him breaking 45%.  Lugar is just too strong and too popular.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 09:15:45 PM »

Just what "poll" are you citing re Kyl?

Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 09:19:14 PM »

Just what "poll" are you citing re Kyl?

From the Business Journal (Phoenix):

A Kyl-Pederson match-up would likely be an expensive affair and garner national attention and funding, though the Republican is favored. A recent poll by Wright Consulting Services gives Kyl a 46 percent to 17 percent lead over Pederson.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2005, 09:37:54 PM »

Never heard of them.

I did get a call last night from Janet Napolitano's campaign inviting me to participate in her campaign.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2005, 09:42:17 PM »

Never heard of them.

I did get a call last night from Janet Napolitano's campaign inviting me to participate in her campaign.

What did you say?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 09:48:17 PM »

Never heard of "Wright Consulting Services."
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 09:50:51 PM »

When she first ran for election as Govenor, I advised senior lieutenants of Napolitano that her opponents work representing Quest was an achilles heel for him.

Remember, Napolitano won by a very narrow margin in a state where the Republicans won just about every other major statewide office.
Rococo4

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 09:59:37 PM »

I wouldnt say Nelson is "clear favorite."  Maybe a slight favorite - it is a Republican trending state that is already slightly Republican.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 10:17:28 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2005, 11:24:16 PM by nickshepDEM »

I wouldnt say Nelson is "clear favorite."  Maybe a slight favorite - it is a Republican trending state that is already slightly Republican.

He's polling at 49% vs Harris in partisan Republican poll.  Sounds pretty good to me. By fall of '06 things may be different, but right now, Nelson is the clear favorite.  The numbers don't lie.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 11:08:41 PM »

He's polling at 49% vs Harris in partisan Republican poll.  Sounds pretty good to me. By fall of 06 things may be different, but right now, Nelson is the clear favorite.  The numbers don't lie.

Who says Harris will be the candidate?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2005, 11:23:03 PM »

She's the heavy favorite, and the only declared candidate.

38% - Harris
19% - Crist
13% - Gallagher
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2005, 11:34:32 PM »

She's the heavy favorite, and the only declared candidate.

38% - Harris
19% - Crist
13% - Gallagher

Crist and Gallagher are running for Governor.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 11:50:03 PM »

Early polls had Bowles winning too, among others.

Thank goodness for them, too. Lot of controlled substances have been bought with that money.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 01:08:46 AM »

Never heard of them.

You think Queen Janet will ask me to participate in her campgaign?

Oh yeah, Kyl is safe Smiley
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2005, 08:11:44 AM »

Florida - Lean Democratic
Incumbent: Bill Nelson (D) - elected in 2000

Nelson got a huge boost this week when Rep. Katherine Harris (R), the divisive architect of Bush's 2000 Florida victory, announced her intentions to challenge him. She will likely bring angry Democrats to the polls in droves. Republican polls already show her losing 41-48 to Nelson, and given that those are partisan polls, Nelson is likely over the magic 50% line. Once considered the most vulnerable Democrat in 2006, Nelson is now the clear favorite by virtue of his opponent's weakness.

Few things would delight me more than to see Harris run against Bill Nelson and lose!

Dave
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2005, 08:28:01 AM »

Never heard of them.

You think Queen Janet will ask me to participate in her campgaign?

Oh yeah, Kyl is safe Smiley

Somehow I doubt it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies