Ted Cruz refuses to answer if he'll support Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Ted Cruz refuses to answer if he'll support Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Ted Cruz refuses to answer if he'll support Trump  (Read 1701 times)
dax00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2016, 07:26:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Would Trump back Cruz?
No, but Cruz isn't in a position to make demands.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2016, 07:28:36 PM »

So let me get this straight. You expect Trump to not support a sitting, Republican senator for the State of Texas, but you do expect Cruz to support Trump, 'for the unity of the party'.

At least you're honest that Trump demands respect he is unwilling to reciprocate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »

Would Trump back Cruz?

Of course not, because any scenario where Cruz beats Trump is on the second or third ballot at the convention where the winner of the popular vote (by a pretty substantial margin) is being robbed of the nomination. That's not the point. I'm not saying whether Cruz should or shouldn't. I'm saying Cruz is a spineless worm and will back Trump in the fall because that's just who he is.

He hitched his wagon to the Trump train when the campaign began and now he's flip flopped because he can't really do that when the field is narrowed.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 07:35:11 PM »

After Trump gets Hillaryslided in the general, Cruz will been seen quite differently.

Trump's sitting at 37 percent. There has never been a GOP nominee with fewer than 50 percent in the modern primary system.

The majority of the GOP has spoken and they have rejected Trump. The argument, "but he'd win a national primary" doesn't hold, because every state, and every republican had an opportunity to vote Trump, and the majority chose someone else.

If I'm looking at that total, I'd be saying that the will of the GOP was for a contested convention to hammer out a better nominee.

Trumpbots seem determined to destroy the party just to see their candidate through. Plenty of us are gonna stand by and watch the Trumptanic sink.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »

After Trump gets Hillaryslided in the general, Cruz will been seen quite differently.

Trump's sitting at 37 percent. There has never been a GOP nominee with fewer than 50 percent in the modern primary system.

The majority of the GOP has spoken and they have rejected Trump. The argument, "but he'd win a national primary" doesn't hold, because every state, and every republican had an opportunity to vote Trump, and the majority chose someone else.

If I'm looking at that total, I'd be saying that the will of the GOP was for a contested convention to hammer out a better nominee.

Trumpbots seem determined to destroy the party just to see their candidate through. Plenty of us are gonna stand by and watch the Trumptanic sink.

What party was John McCain the nominee of, then?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2016, 07:44:07 PM »

That's a good question. Dole, McCain and Romney were all weak candidates. Dole won 58 percent support from the primary in his year, McCain and Romney both drew 52 percent.

I was surprised when I ran the numbers, and realized that the key for Republicans seems to be around 60 percent in a nomination.

Trump has 37 percent.

The problem with both McCain and Romney is that they were historically weak GOP candidates. The party hasn't really had a strong nominee since Bush Jr, and even that was a narrow run thing.

Trump is a symptom of a much longstanding problem within the Republican party. There is a great divide between the NYC party - the so-called GOP elite. I was surprised that there's not been a single republican nominee that has lost New York. Not one.

So you have a great and widening gap between the core of the party and the NE.

The solution is going to blow wide open. Goldwater was a seminal GOP movement, where the party decided that it had to change in order to become competitive. The same is here. The GOP is going to lose it's democrat NE wing of the party, which is more at home voting Democrat than Republican.

Simply because the core of the party has always been its conservative base. If they go the other way, the Republican party will go the way of the Whigs and be relegated to a historical footnote, while the core shops around and finds something more to their liking.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2016, 07:46:24 PM »

McCain won about the same percentage of Republican primary voters, 52. Trump is historically the worst GOP nominee in the history of the party.

And it's less because of the Conservative/Liberal divide, but because, Trump is a historically weak GOP nominee.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2016, 08:00:39 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2016, 08:04:39 PM by Maxwell »

Actually Trump is currently at 40% and growing. And if that's the case, wow, then imagine how out there it would be if the Republican party nominated Ted Cruz, who only got 26% of the vote!

You seem to be behind a bunch of primaries in your numbers.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2016, 08:07:00 PM »

Trump will have the lowest percentage in the history of the GOP.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2016, 08:09:00 PM »

And? He'll still have the highest percentage of anyone running in the year 2016. By potentially 20 points if the latest batch of primaries go the way it seems like they'll go.
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2016, 08:12:25 PM »

Lyin' Ted would too if he stole the nomination
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2016, 08:16:06 PM »

This is what I don't get. Yes, you can make the argument that Trump will be a disastrous candidate and lose and take a bunch of downticket candidates down with him.

But why do you think Ted Cruz is a better alternative? Even more voters have rejected Cruz than have rejected Trump. His negatives are worse than every GOP candidate other than Trump and are worse than Hillary's.

Who is Ted Cruz going to bring into the Republican Party to allow it to do better than the 47% that it got last time? He's not going to bring minorities. He's not going to bring women. He's not going to bring the youth. At least Trump can claim to have brought a bunch of disaffected white people into the GOP column.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2016, 08:16:26 PM »

It means that history is predicting a Hillaryslide in November vs Trump. The numbers were real eyeopening to me.

Quite simply, yes some of the folks voting against Trump will come out to vote for him, but enough of them are soured off the nominee (and his supporters), that they will stay home in November.

Hillary's just going to turn 100 percent negative and run an LBJ vs Goldwater campaign. And.. she'll win rather easily.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2016, 08:20:25 PM »

We are deviating so far from the topic at hand its not even funny. This is about Ted Cruz wearing flip flops at the beach once again.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2016, 08:20:53 PM »

Very good question. One, his support is higher than Trump. That should be reason alone to support Cruz over Trump.

Two, I'm not a Cruz supporter. I came over to Cruz because I believed he was the best candidate standing. I was somewhat reluctant, but seeing the walking disaster that is Trump, I really had no choice. I looked at the data, and after South Carolina realized what was happening with Rubio and how Rubio couldn't win.

So.. Thus Cruz.

For me the convictions matter most. Is Cruz a conservative? Yes. I believe a conservative can win, and we've had two losing elections with folks who were 'winners', who, surprise, surprise, lost in November. It's time for a red-meat Conservative.

Trump is just more of the same with the additional disaster that he's a democrat.

At the cost of every prolifer out there. We're all sitting it out if Trump is the nominee. We have no reason to vote GOP if Trump changes the platform.  
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »

Very good question. One, his support is higher than Trump. That should be reason alone to support Cruz over Trump.

Two, I'm not a Cruz supporter. I came over to Cruz because I believed he was the best candidate standing. I was somewhat reluctant, but seeing the walking disaster that is Trump, I really had no choice. I looked at the data, and after South Carolina realized what was happening with Rubio and how Rubio couldn't win.

So.. Thus Cruz.

For me the convictions matter most. Is Cruz a conservative? Yes. I believe a conservative can win, and we've had two losing elections with folks who were 'winners', who, surprise, surprise, lost in November. It's time for a red-meat Conservative.

Trump is just more of the same with the additional disaster that he's a democrat.

At the cost of every prolifer out there. We're all sitting it out if Trump is the nominee. We have no reason to vote GOP if Trump changes the platform.  

If there are enough "red-meat conservatives" in America to get a majority of the vote in November, why weren't there enough "red-meat conservatives" in the GOP primary to stop Donald Trump?

You are really misreading the country if you think people voted against Mitt Romney because he wasn't conservative enough.

And why would pro-lifers be upset with a man who wants to punish women for having abortions?!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2016, 09:32:42 PM »

That's a good question - because they didn't get behind Cruz in Iowa. Had they done so, this would have been over a long time ago.

I knew Romney was in trouble when white middle class friends in Texas were remarking about how he was like a car salesman and they didn't trust him.

When he came out in favor of changing the platform the day after winning in New York. Why would we support Judas?
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2016, 11:49:27 PM »

Go vote for Hillary then.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2016, 12:09:06 AM »

That's a good question - because they didn't get behind Cruz in Iowa. [\b]Had they done so, this would have been over a long time ago.

I knew Romney was in trouble when white middle class friends in Texas were remarking about how he was like a car salesman and they didn't trust him.

When he came out in favor of changing the platform the day after winning in New York. Why would we support Judas?

You're right - a lot of them voted for Trump!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2016, 12:55:03 AM »

The only reason GOP nominees have been able to garner a majority of votes in the primaries is because all of the other candidates usually tend to drop out by mid-April.  If the opponents would have stayed until the bitter end, all of the past GOP nominees would be plurality candidates as well.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 02:32:53 AM »

McCain went the distance vs Bush. Ron Paul went the distance vs Romney. Usually a strong nominee will manage to clear the field by actually beating them.

Cruz has already won 12 states (including North Dakota), which is a record. Trump won't get a majority because he waited until April to rack up his first. Nothing more nor less.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 02:49:59 AM »

Nobody was going to deny him most of those states, except maybe Colorado and ND going for a Bush type based on the process.

His conservatism and organization meant he was going to win most all of those states except Wisconsin, which could have been won by someone else.

On the other hand, without Trump, the only way this ends without a Cruz win is someone using the immigration issue as a bridge to the right wing as Romney did. No one else took that route.
JRoby
Rookie

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2016, 05:55:42 AM »

^kasich, i think could have pulled it off. he had a decent record on immigration when he was in congress.

i have no idea why he's suddenly Mr. Cuddly when it comes to immigration (as well as EVERYTHING). I personally think that idiot John Weaver convinced him the only way he was going to win was to sound nice and moderate on everything and hope a contested convention gives it to him because of his electability.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »

Would Trump back Cruz?

Of course not, because any scenario where Cruz beats Trump is on the second or third ballot at the convention where the winner of the popular vote (by a pretty substantial margin) is being robbed of the nomination. That's not the point. I'm not saying whether Cruz should or shouldn't. I'm saying Cruz is a spineless worm and will back Trump in the fall because that's just who he is.

He hitched his wagon to the Trump train when the campaign began and now he's flip flopped because he can't really do that when the field is narrowed.

Cruz prob will back Trump.   Ive never felt it was all that personal between the two more of a competitive thing.   If Trump fails in Nov and Hillary has a awful 4 years Cruz would by default get all of the Trump voters in 2020.   If he doesn't and stays nevertrump then he will get a quick exit 2020 primaries.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2016, 06:44:22 AM »

Atlas "moderates" and Democrats preferring Cruz to Trump is one of the most hilarious things ever.

I've always preferred Trump to Cruz since I really do think Cruz actually believes all the crap he says, whereas Trump is just saying what the bigots in the party want to hear because, you know, "angry!" Trump really is taking the Republicans for suckers and they're too blind to see it.

By the way, who would have thought that that lightweight Chuck Todd actually had such big brass balls to go after Lyin' Ted Cruz like that? In Cruz's defense, though, he does have a point about how the media is biased towards Trump and all the free airtime he gets because of ratings. Then again, he goes and chooses empty dress Fiorina for his veep when he hasn't even won the nomination to c**kblock Trump for airtime, so I don't know what to think anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies