Captain America: Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:05:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Captain America: Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Whose side you on?
Team Iron Man

Team Captain America

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Captain America: Civil War  (Read 1338 times)
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2016, 07:41:01 PM »

Anyone else looking forward to this?
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 09:05:13 PM »

I don't think I've looked forward to a movie more than this one.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:09:18 PM »

Seeing it Friday night with some Ingress teammates.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 10:14:14 PM »

Don't have any idea what their beef is, but the first Captain America movie is my favorite Marvel film, so I'll go with him.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »

Definitely Team Iron Man. Captain is so whiny sometimes.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

Don't have any idea what their beef is, but the first Captain America movie is my favorite Marvel film, so I'll go with him.

TL;DR, government wants to make Avengers glorified cops. Register, only go when we call you, etc. Stark, still feeling guilt from Iron Man 1, goes along with it and also wants to arrest Bucky. Cap is all HELL NO to both and goes rogue.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 05:06:26 PM »

In the comics, definitely Iron Man. I didn't mind the Patriot Act and I support gun control. Those are the two issues most commonly interpreted as being represented by the Superhero Registration Act.

In the movie, I don't know yet. It's supposedly all about bringing in Bucky. Bucky was brainwashed by HYDRA, that seems like a pretty good alibi.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:04:22 PM »

In the comics, definitely Iron Man. I didn't mind the Patriot Act and I support gun control. Those are the two issues most commonly interpreted as being represented by the Superhero Registration Act.

In the movie, I don't know yet. It's supposedly all about bringing in Bucky. Bucky was brainwashed by HYDRA, that seems like a pretty good alibi.

You just made Ben Franklin cry lol
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 03:44:18 AM »

Yes, the reviews are great.

Go Team Cap!
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 06:25:08 AM »

In the comics, Team Cpt. America was pretty much standard libertarian spiel while Team Iron Man was reasoned.

Iron Man 1 was also one of the last movies in the MCU that stood on its own without being forced to set things up and had interesting visuals.

So, I guess T.I.M. for what's asked here.

But I'm burned out on superhero movies at this point and the days of the MCU being the top of the line are long over. I don't trust this one to not be another run-of-the-mill, ironically not marvelous Marvel film.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »

Politically I agree with Cap on the issue at hand, but Stark is so much more fun and so damn charming. I wanna have a beer with him. He gets my vote.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 03:06:51 PM »

Iron Man in the comics rounded up people who disagreed with his position and threw them into an extradimensional prison. Team Cap, even if I didn't already love Steve and hate Tony.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 03:54:44 PM »

I saw it last thursday, and I will not give spoilers away, but it was good very very good. In fact they had one of the best villains I have seen in the Marvel universe, who is quite different from the other Marvel villains.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 02:50:56 AM »

I saw it last thursday, and I will not give spoilers away, but it was good very very good. In fact they had one of the best villains I have seen in the Marvel universe, who is quite different from the other Marvel villains.

They seriously have to be one of the best superhero movie villains I've ever seen specifically because they weren't really villainous. He was normal, sympathetic, tragic, and completely, utterly human -- which is exactly what makes him so great.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 01:02:33 PM »

They seriously have to be one of the best superhero movie villains I've ever seen specifically because they weren't really villainous. He was normal, sympathetic, tragic, and completely, utterly human -- which is exactly what makes him so great.[/color]

You shouldn't make him better than he was, the point about him was that he was pretty horrible human being (officer in Sokovia's version of Stasi), but he had a very legitimate and sympathic reason for wanting revenge on the Avengers. And I thought that point worked, because a sympathic human being wouldn't do the thing Zemo was willing to do to get revenge
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 02:48:44 PM »

Saw the movie Friday night and absolutely loved it, Robert Downey Jr. did another good job portraying Tony Stark
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 07:40:27 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 07:42:55 PM by Citizen (The) Doctor »

They seriously have to be one of the best superhero movie villains I've ever seen specifically because they weren't really villainous. He was normal, sympathetic, tragic, and completely, utterly human -- which is exactly what makes him so great.[/color]

You shouldn't make him better than he was, the point about him was that he was pretty horrible human being (officer in Sokovia's version of Stasi), but he had a very legitimate and sympathic reason for wanting revenge on the Avengers. And I thought that point worked, because a sympathic human being wouldn't do the thing Zemo was willing to do to get revenge

I think it's not that far of a stretch for a sympathetic character to do what he did (although perhaps that's influenced by me watching films like Snow Cake who have similar leads that aren't absolutely horrible human beings). We don't really know what we would do in that sort of situation -- compared to us the Avengers are basically deities on Earth. To what lengths would you go to make gods pay for their crimes when it looks like no one is capable of doing it, and clearly, some of them aren't willing to turn themselves in for it? To claim for example that Cap is without culpability for the damage and deaths of innocent bystanders during the fall of SHIELD is a bit of a stretch, and clearly he wasn't going to be held accountable for his actions.

Zemo probably wasn't absolutely great (though I don't think we're given much information on Sokovian intelligence so I'm not sure where the Stasi comparison comes from), but what makes him interesting is also what makes Natasha interesting, horrible actions nonwithstanding.
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:27:51 PM »

Politically I agree with Cap on the issue at hand, but Stark is so much more fun and so damn charming. I wanna have a beer with him. He gets my vote.
This falls very near to feelings.. maybe get the beer with Tony, hang out with some exotic women for an evening or two then defect to Captain America. Smiley
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 09:30:16 PM »

Saw it last night with my friends. It was pretty good, but suffered from a lot of the same problems as Batman v Superman (which I thought was better and actually a great movie).
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »

I think it's not that far of a stretch for a sympathetic character to do what he did (although perhaps that's influenced by me watching films like Snow Cake who have similar leads that aren't absolutely horrible human beings). We don't really know what we would do in that sort of situation -- compared to us the Avengers are basically deities on Earth. To what lengths would you go to make gods pay for their crimes when it looks like no one is capable of doing it, and clearly, some of them aren't willing to turn themselves in for it? To claim for example that Cap is without culpability for the damage and deaths of innocent bystanders during the fall of SHIELD is a bit of a stretch, and clearly he wasn't going to be held accountable for his actions.

Zemo probably wasn't absolutely great (though I don't think we're given much information on Sokovian intelligence so I'm not sure where the Stasi comparison comes from), but what makes him interesting is also what makes Natasha interesting, horrible actions nonwithstanding.

The description of his unit function was "death squad", so I think if we used rpg aligment scala his would fall under "evil". Of course that doesn't mean that his motivation wasn't sympathic, it just means that this was not a nice guy doing horrible thing for revenge (as the thing he did to get his revenge wasn't justice (murdering a bunch of innocent)). It means that he was a horrible person doing horrible things for pretty good and understandable reasons. Of course he seem to have been more of a punch clock villain before, while after the Avengers came to Sokovia his villainous acts became personal.

I in fact liked that about him, he was just a "banality of evil" kind of guy before someone wronged him, and when he changed into something else, a villain without superpowers, but still the only one able to make and carry out a plan which could bring the Avengers, a plan which depended on the individual Avengers following their nature, and the best part was that several times the plan was close to failing, like when BP came into the picture (if he had killed the Winter Soldier, the plan would have failed). 
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 10:24:48 AM »

Saw it last night with my friends. It was pretty good, but suffered from a lot of the same problems as Batman v Superman (which I thought was better and actually a great movie).

I disagree. I didn't hate BvS, but it wasn't a good movie, it was a mess of great scenes which didn't fit with each others. Some of the characters was good (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman), but Lex Luthor was a disaster which almost destroyed the movie on his own. Also Snyder failed to get some fundamental element in the character. Yes the death of the Waynes was a great scene, but it was miserable failure, because the point of their death original, is that they don't defend themselves and are gunned down, teaching Bruce the lesson that you need to fight, while Snyders lesson ironic is that if papa Wayne hadn't fought the thief, he and his wife wouldn't have been gunned down, so it teach and entiely different lesson.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2016, 05:51:00 AM »

Partner Dan euchred me into seeing this movie, and I hated near every moment of it. The acting sucked, the story line was non existent, and the special effects scenes of destruction repetitive. I didn't give a damn who was doing what to whom. I just wanted the damn grossly overly long movie to end, so I could get the hell out.
msnmllr
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -6.09

« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 08:59:51 AM »

I saw the movie this past weekend, and I can comfortably say that it is in my top 5 favorite MCU movies. Spiderman and Black Panther were amazing and the fight scenes were perfectly choreographed. Additionally, it was ten times better that the train wreck that was Batman v. Superman (and I'm a DC fan).

Can I say how excited I am for Doctor Strange, too?
Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »

This is one of the best or best MCU/superhero movies ever. Some people see this movie without having seen the other MCU movies and get confused or overwhelmed. I had to explain to a guy at my work about Antman and why he's relevant/where he came from. I basically had to explain to him how the entire MCU works.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 09:50:27 PM »

So it appears that most of the people are Team Cap, mainly due to the fact of "government registration" when the entire movie and all the crap was directly caused by Cap being arrogant and thinking he's above the law. If he just went along and they brought Bucky in it all would have been solved rather easily without wonton destruction.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies