Opinion of Reagan breaking up the Air Traffic Control Strike
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:38:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Reagan breaking up the Air Traffic Control Strike
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Vote
FF

Hp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Opinion of Reagan breaking up the Air Traffic Control Strike  (Read 2011 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2016, 05:32:18 PM »

Horrible decision. Knee-jerk reactionary move towards a very delicate situation.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2016, 06:49:22 PM »

Horrible decision. Knee-jerk reactionary move towards a very delicate situation.
He did set a terrible precedent for the 80s, yes.

US-Soviet relations, Iran-Contra, Grenada. Shucks, you're right.

Don't forget Beirut, a tripled national debt, lowering the top tax bracket at a rapid rate and his failed trickle down policies leading to the unfair economy we have today.

Oh yeah, he armed the Mujahideen and also Iraq.

Failed trickle down hahhaa , the state of the economy was so much better in 1988 then 1980 its not even a fair comparison

It did fail. Trickle down is a myth. The rich keep the money for themselves. Reagan was a corporate stooge.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2016, 07:23:45 PM »

There is no such thing as the "right to strike". There's the right to do the job you're getting paid to or quit. Reagan did the right thing, as he usually did.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 07:36:28 PM »

There is no such thing as the "right to strike". There's the right to do the job you're getting paid to or quit. Reagan did the right thing, as he usually did.

Conservatives usually treat employees as slaves. This is no surprise.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2016, 07:55:27 PM »

Totally a Left-Wing forum.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 08:16:50 PM »

May I ask the right-wingers here why they believe that bosses or "employers" have any right to what workers produce?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »

May I ask the right-wingers here why they believe that bosses or "employers" have any right to what workers produce?

Well, because they pay them for it. Pretty simple really. Unless you think 'teh werkers' would organise themselves and produce all the goods and services of 21st century life under their own steam?

I mean, let's be honest here, everybody has their part to play in working life. I myself work part time around my studies as a shop assistant, and play my own small role in making Tesco a going concern, but, you know, my job wouldn't even exist in its present form with employers managing the business. If it was left to myself and my co-workers to try and run the store it wild probably be out of business in a month, because running a business at the micro level of simply managing one store (not to mention the macro level of the business as a whole) simply isn't our forte. You need a class of people solely devoted to those particular tasks, and really and truly, a Chief Financial Officer, the Board of Directors and the like hardly have the time to be sweating away on the till and stacking selves in a regional 24 hour convenience store do they? A system of employers and employees is mutually beneficial to both. Without any employees, the employers would have no one to man their business with. Without employers, the employees would have no business to work at.

Sure, maybe co-operative type things without 'bosses' per se (although, inevitably, I'm sure they'll be someone calling the shots) may be workable at the micro level, but in the case of a business with hundreds of branches and many thousands of employees? Much less workable.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 08:52:30 PM »

Scab, Scum of the Earth decision.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »

FF. As FDR said, there is no right to strike against the public interest.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2016, 09:12:10 PM »

FF. As FDR said, there is no right to strike against the public interest.

You mean like when the Republicans shut down the government during the last two Democratic administrations?
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »

Slaves? They chose to work there. If they didn't like the pay, they could've quit.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2016, 09:34:14 PM »

Perhaps he could have handled it better and done more to avoid the resulting loss of jobs and experience.  At some point though a government agency providing a monopoly service has to be able to function.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2016, 11:24:37 PM »

Slaves? They chose to work there. If they didn't like the pay, they could've quit.

So you are against worker's rights, no matter what. Employees are employees. Not slaves.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2016, 11:32:57 PM »

Chose, as they needed a job, you know to look out for them and their family. Of course you wouldn't know that, as a rich person from Connecticut.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2016, 11:40:27 PM »

Chose, as they needed a job, you know to look out for them and their family. Of course you wouldn't know that, as a rich person from Connecticut.

Striking against the public safety should be illegal and should not be tolerated
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »

I genuinely don't see your point. If you do your job, you get paid, and if you refuse, you get fired.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2016, 05:33:55 AM »

Well, because they pay them for it. Pretty simple really. Unless you think 'teh werkers' would organise themselves and produce all the goods and services of 21st century life under their own steam?

I mean, let's be honest here, everybody has their part to play in working life. I myself work part time around my studies as a shop assistant, and play my own small role in making Tesco a going concern, but, you know, my job wouldn't even exist in its present form with employers managing the business. If it was left to myself and my co-workers to try and run the store it wild probably be out of business in a month, because running a business at the micro level of simply managing one store (not to mention the macro level of the business as a whole) simply isn't our forte. You need a class of people solely devoted to those particular tasks, and really and truly, a Chief Financial Officer, the Board of Directors and the like hardly have the time to be sweating away on the till and stacking selves in a regional 24 hour convenience store do they? A system of employers and employees is mutually beneficial to both. Without any employees, the employers would have no one to man their business with. Without employers, the employees would have no business to work at.

Sure, maybe co-operative type things without 'bosses' per se (although, inevitably, I'm sure they'll be someone calling the shots) may be workable at the micro level, but in the case of a business with hundreds of branches and many thousands of employees? Much less workable.

Worker cooperatives fail less often in the first five years then other small businesses. You also seem to think of the economy as something that the average person could never possibly understand and requires a class of managers and the professional OCD to manage everything. Cooperatives also work well at the international level "macro" level. For example, the Mondragon  Corporation "employs" 74,000 people and though it has its issues it has continued and prospered since 1956.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »

Striking against the public safety should be illegal and should not be tolerated

Striking should always be legal no matter what the case, even if it's golden parachute CEOs whining about taxes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2016, 08:15:29 AM »

Striking should always be legal, and so should firing people for not showing up to work.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:33 PM »

Striking should always be legal, and so should firing people for not showing up to work.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2016, 07:21:45 PM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2016, 07:30:52 PM »

Scabs!!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix