Hillary Willing to Work with Sanders on Shaping Democratic Platform
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:57:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary Willing to Work with Sanders on Shaping Democratic Platform
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Hillary Willing to Work with Sanders on Shaping Democratic Platform  (Read 1528 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2016, 11:01:19 PM »

Clinton: I'm happy to work with Sanders on shaping the platform

By Daniel Strauss
05/01/16 09:40 AM EDT

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/clinton-sanders-democrats-platform-222679#ixzz47T3YllZE
SillyAmerican
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:06:49 PM »

What a surprise: Hillary Clinton is willing to work with the man that has energized the Democratic party. The woman should be taking notes on how to run a solid campaign, and how to attract young and disenfranchised voters.

She'll probably end up with the nomination, but it's clear Bernie has won the day.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 11:24:10 PM »

It's so annoying to see people move the goalposts to make their guy look better. Seriously, he lost. Nearly 3.2 million votes down, but he energized the party so he won? Apparently not enough for them to actually get out and vote. Unless they all did, and yet he still lost, which is even more sad. Get real.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »

She's clearly not, but since this is the tactically correct move...of course Mrs. Clinton is 'willing to work' with Bernie.
dax00

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2016, 11:28:38 PM »

She's clearly not, but since this is the tactically correct move...of course Mrs. Clinton is 'willing to work' with Bernie.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 11:29:31 PM »

It's so annoying to see people move the goalposts to make their guy look better. Seriously, he lost. Nearly 3.2 million votes down, but he energized the party so he won? Apparently not enough for them to actually get out and vote. Unless they all did, and yet he still lost, which is even more sad. Get real.

Agreed. Hillary trying to satisfy and understand the needs of all in the Democratic party is frankly disgusting. Those 9 Million and 2/3rd's of caucuses are all not needed in Hillary's great plan, actually anyone that likes Bernie should be banned from voting. Hillary only needs true Democrats like Mark Warner and Evan Bayh to win.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 11:32:45 PM »

Agreed. Hillary trying to satisfy and understand the needs of all in the Democratic party is frankly disgusting. Those 9 Million and 2/3rd's of caucuses are all not needed in Hillary's great plan, actually anyone that likes Bernie should be banned from voting. Hillary only needs true Democrats like Mark Warner and Evan Bayh to win.

Hillary Clinton has been moved to the left, placing her right where Bernie Sanders wants her. So yes, he has won.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 11:36:33 PM »

Hillary Clinton has been moved to the left, placing her right where Bernie Sanders wants her. So yes, he has won.

Has she?  She may have given in on international trade and on Wall Street regulations, but when it comes to single-payer and other issues, she has (more or less) held her ground.  
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 11:37:00 PM »

What a surprise: Hillary Clinton Barack Obama is willing to work with the man woman that has energized the Democratic party. The woman man should be taking notes on how to run a solid campaign, and how to attract young and disenfranchised women, Hispanic, and white voters.

She'll He'll probably end up with the nomination, but it's clear Bernie Hillary has won the day.

That's how silly you look. Actually even sillier, considering in 08 she only lost by 100 delegates and arguably won the popular vote. The stats this time? 16 point popular vote lead and a ~300 delegate lead. Despite this, I rarely heard anyone insisting that Obama needed to pander to Hillary and her supporters. They were usually just dismissed by the media as racist dead enders.

And I'm sure you'll reply with "No, Obama energized the party, not her!" So let me get this straight now...Hillary barely loses, so she is a loser, accomplished nothing, and deserves nothing. Hillary wins big, but it doesn't matter...because reasons, and she should function only as a figurehead and know her place. The double standards people and the media have for this woman are completely insane and repulsive.

Democrats made their voices heard, and they overwhelmingly chose Hillary. Obviously the people who chose Bernie matter as well, but to say he's the "real winner" is ludicrous.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 11:38:27 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 12:17:53 AM by Virginia »

Has she?  She may have given in on international trade and on Wall Street regulations, but when it comes to single-payer and other issues, she has (more or less) held her ground.  

I don't get why singlepayer is so necessary for a Democratic nominee, or even being used as a measuring stick for how left you are (I see it used in this fashion quite a bit). For the time being, it will not pass Congress, even if we had a supermajority in the Senate and control of the House. Democrats will not risk losing control over healthcare reform for the 3rd time. They will put their own interests ahead of that this time around, should it ever come to that.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 11:50:27 PM »

Were you as concerned with the nearly 18 million who voted for Hillary in 2008?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 12:00:12 AM »

Seeing Jfern react to this will be amusing.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 12:13:16 AM »

Come on, really, that's not right. She isn't ignoring them at all. Her plans on issues important to them are simply less generous and less gigantic versions of Bernie's. Just because she didn't promise free everything doesn't mean she didn't set out proposals to address the issues they care about. She did it in a way that she thought was more responsible and feasible (whether or not it is is debatable, but that is what her campaign thinks)

Personally, while I believe Sanders should get input in this primary because of how many people clearly want his vision, he lost, so Sanders and his supporters should not expect to get everything they want, or even things on the same level as his own proposals. That's not how it works and not how it ever has worked.

What I said (in a sarcastic tone) was in agreement with Hillary. I was stupified by Holmes' reaction by insinuating that because Hillary won, she should not consult with him on the issues for a united Democratic party. My point obviously did not come across, that Hillary is in the right here and I am glad to support her because of this. Anyone that thinks that because someone wins an election (especially a primary) they shouldn't factor in the usual half or so of people that were against them, is frankly ignorant. If anything, my post was a slam of Holmes, not of Hillary.

No, because I didn't support her...? Plus, in retrospect, her plans on health care, education, and other platforms were essentially adopted by Obama in the GE. They came together united on the front. So no, they got much of what Hillary was proposing at the time.
dax00

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 12:14:05 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 12:20:33 AM by đậξ ⁰₀ »

Hillary has not been running a progressive campaign. She has been running a campaign of emotions almost devoid of specific policy substance not similar to the status quo. Sure, she'll allow progressive planks, but she wouldn't actually try to work to get those progressive measures passed.

Liars' language: "I certainly look forward...", "I really welcome his ideas..."

...and she even admitted it's more important to her to beat Trump than to purvey progressive values. She said it twice.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 12:16:02 AM »

Hillary has not been running a progressive campaign. She has been running a campaign of emotions almost devoid of specific policy substance not similar to the status quo. Sure, she'll allow progressive planks, but she wouldn't actually try to work to get those progressive measures passed.

Liars' larguage: "I certainly look forward...", "I really welcome his ideas..."

...and she even admitted it's more important to her to beat Trump than to purvey progressive values. She said it twice.

So what would she do in office? Sit around for four years, just hangin'?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 12:17:07 AM »

What I said (in a sarcastic tone) was in agreement with Hillary. I was stupified by Holmes' reaction by insinuating that because Hillary won, she should not consult with him on the issues for a united Democratic party. My point obviously did not come across, that Hillary is in the right here and I am glad to support her because of this. Anyone that thinks that because someone wins an election (especially a primary) they shouldn't factor in the usual half or so of people that were against them, is frankly ignorant. If anything, my post was a slam of Holmes, not of Hillary.

Oh, lol. My apologies! I had obviously seen the sarcasm but I thought it was the other way around.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:17:28 AM »

Of course Sanders didn't actually win. But he put up an impressive effort, much more than anyone thought he would a year ago, and Clinton would certainly benefit from working with him.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »

Oh, lol. My apologies! I had obviously seen the sarcasm but I thought it was the other way around.

No problem!
dax00

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 12:18:30 AM »

Precisely that, and making sure her donors get what they want. And the occasional effort to pass an anti-discrimination bill.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 12:19:36 AM »

I wish we had the AAD system of username mentions, so that I could notify Jfern, ProgressiveCanadian, and Shadows to this topic.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 12:21:56 AM »

Precisely that, and making sure her donors get what they want. And the occasional effort to pass an anti-discrimination bill.

Ya see I just don't understand that. What has she done that would make you think that? Listen, I am not an avid Hillary fan, but I just don't see what in her history compels people to think this about her. I could understand the argument of "swaying" legislation towards big pharma and the healthcare industry (as was done with ACA), but I just don't see this. Would you mind enlightening me?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 12:26:50 AM »

I think Bernie does deserve a voice in the Democratic Platform, but his people have been making it sound like they deserve to craft it entirely and I don't think that's fair either.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 12:27:53 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 04:38:33 AM by Mr. Morden »

The platform is meaningless. What Hillary says her policies and what they actually are are two different things. Example, the Iraq surge, she was publicly opposed and privately in favor.

link

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 12:28:51 AM »

Anyone that thinks that because someone wins an election (especially a primary) they shouldn't factor in the usual half or so of people that were against them, is frankly ignorant.

No, because I didn't support her...?

Surely you recognize the cognitive dissonance here?

To the extent that the media cared about Hillary and her supporters in 08, it was usually phrased as "How can Obama get all those dumb racists to support him in the general?" But this time from their tone you'd think they want Bernie to handwrite the platform and make Hillary sign her name at the bottom in her own blood. I recall a lot of "Hillary Clinton is entitled to nothing" sentiment despite her having a much stronger showing than Bernie did, but now suddenly it matters?

Of course, I do agree with her decision and admire her for treating him with far more respect than she was treated with. That's just the kind of person she is. But the media and "Democratic establishment's" double standard needed to be called out.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:40 AM »

The platform is meaningless. What Hillary says her policies and what they actually are are two different things. Example, the Iraq surge, she was publicly opposed and privately in favor.

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/27/democrats_this_is_why_you_need_to_fear_hillary_clinton_the_ny_times_is_absolutely_right_shes_a_bigger_hawk_than_the_republicanse/

Jfern, I swear to god, you're like the human personification of r/sandersforpresident. You find a way to incorporate an attack on Clinton into every topic imaginable.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies