Bernie vows to take it to "Contested Contest" at Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:10:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie vows to take it to "Contested Contest" at Convention
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bernie vows to take it to "Contested Contest" at Convention  (Read 2501 times)
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2016, 09:37:32 AM »

Seems like the bubble remains intact in Bernieland...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/bernie-sanders-commits-controversial-convention-strategy?cid=sm_fb_maddow
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 09:50:29 AM »

Hahaha, this is the first news I've heard about Bernie himself this week.  The only other thing I've heard about the campaign was Jane hoping the FBI would hurry up with the e-mail investigation and moving the goalposts on the tax returns.  Oh and the campaign firing a ton of his staff, I guess that was this week.

Anyone think Tad Devine will walk out before it ends?

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:11:54 AM »

Uh, it's literally impossible for a convention with only two candidates to be contested. Is Cheatin' Bernie going senile??
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 10:16:35 AM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 10:47:43 AM by etr906 »

Uh, it's literally impossible for a convention with only two candidates to be contested. Is Cheatin' Bernie going senile??

Superdelegates are unpledged and can vote for anyone or anything, including "uncommitted". If enough of the superdelegates vote that way, it'll go to the second round.

That's highly unlikely, though.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 10:18:55 AM »

Ol' Bernie forgot to take his medicine. Again.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:19:54 AM »

This is ridiculous and it is amazing that Sanders can't see it himself.

One the one hand they want to persuade the superdelegates to turn.

On the other hand, they believe that the superdelegates should support the candidate that received the most votes in their state.

The double standard at work here. If the second principle holds then it really is all over for Bernie. Their ONLY hope is that the super delegates will magically flee to him. Dumbass move.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:44:31 AM »

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhluuuuuuuuuusional.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »

Incidents like this are why I won't be supporting Sanders.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 11:02:17 AM »

Uh, it's literally impossible for a convention with only two candidates to be contested.

The superdelegates can abstain on the first ballot, so no it's not impossible.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 11:05:01 AM »

So it looks like Weaver is winning the intra-campaign scuffle, I would feel bad for Devine if he weren't making serious money from this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 11:06:28 AM »

Jane his wife says that the FBI should get on with the investigation. That's why Sanders isn't gonna suspend but Dems and Superdelegates don't care a out Benghazi.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »

At some point this failure to accept reality is actually going to start hurting Bernie. Sure, he has Democrats who support him, but a lot of these people are Democrats first and will get pissed off if they start to see Bernie's presence hurt the obvious nominee. Especially in light of the general election match-up seeming to narrow with Trump in recent days. Trump is the scariest GOP nominee the party has almost ever put forward, and Democrats will want Hillary to be in a position of strength to deal with his misogyny and general BS.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 11:20:39 AM »

It's funny but the amount of dim witted folks in this thread is pretty astounding - If you want to see a place of un-intelligent people who can't understand basic stuff, come here.

Anyways it is pretty basic stuff -> Neither Hillary nor Bernie will get the magic number of pledged delegates to win without Supers - Sanders has clearly said he required 65% of the pledged delegates to beat her which is very very hard but will try otherwise he will make his case to the Supers & hope they switch, atleast the one where he had won landslides.

I dunno, if you don't get the drift for a candidate who has 1 month left & is contesting for 1300 delegates, you are DUMB. The comments in this thread are DUMB by DUMB people.

Anyways till the FBI clears her, there is no reason as there is a big chance she has to drop out with our without an indictment if she is guilty which is a solid chance & either Biden or someone fills in, so given the fact she is facing criminal prosecution, it makes no sense for him to take this to the convention!

What is he meant to say with 1300 delegates in play, "I have lost but support me?" - You have to be really dumb to expect that.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 11:24:46 AM »

It's funny but the amount of dim witted folks in this thread is pretty astounding - If you want to see a place of un-intelligent people who can't understand basic stuff, come here.

Anyways it is pretty basic stuff -> Neither Hillary nor Bernie will get the magic number of pledged delegates to win without Supers - Sanders has clearly said he required 65% of the pledged delegates to beat her which is very very hard but will try otherwise he will make his case to the Supers & hope they switch, atleast the one where he had won landslides.

I dunno, if you don't get the drift for a candidate who has 1 month left & is contesting for 1300 delegates, you are DUMB. The comments in this thread are DUMB by DUMB people.

Anyways till the FBI clears her, there is no reason as there is a big chance she has to drop out with our without an indictment if she is guilty which is a solid chance & either Biden or someone fills in, so given the fact she is facing criminal prosecution, it makes no sense for him to take this to the convention!

What is he meant to say with 1300 delegates in play, "I have lost but support me?" - You have to be really dumb to expect that.

This is a very GOOD response and I am now TOTALLY supporting Bernie because of how smart the smart person who made the argument is. I was convinced by all of the CAPS and the non-standard punctuation -> DUH you stupid Hillarybots are dumb dummies who are totally DUMB and un-intenilligent.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »

This is a very GOOD response and I am now TOTALLY supporting Bernie because of how smart the smart person who made the argument is. I was convinced by all of the CAPS and the non-standard punctuation -> DUH you stupid Hillarybots are dumb dummies who are totally DUMB and un-intenilligent.

What would you say if you were Bernie contesting hard with 1300 delegates where you can mathematically win & you need 65% of the delegates with many pro-Sanders states to come. Although 65% is ridiculous, but you will say "I will fold up, let's go!"

This is gonna be the closest Democratic race since 2008 in the last 20-30-40 years maybe. Ted Kennedy had 10 wins, Sanders will have atleast 20. Ted Kennedy had much fewer delegates, much less %, Sanders will run a very close campaign! He deserves to contest the convention & push the party on his agenda.

If you guys can't put yourself in his shoes & understand, you're just dumb!
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »

He can run for the pledged delegates. Implying that maybe most of the superdelegates should switch their support to him in the scenario where he decisively loses the pledged delegate count to a mainstream candidate is a bit outlandish.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 12:56:51 PM »

What would you say if you were Bernie contesting hard with 1300 delegates where you can mathematically win & you need 65% of the delegates with many pro-Sanders states to come. Although 65% is ridiculous, but you will say "I will fold up, let's go!"

This is gonna be the closest Democratic race since 2008 in the last 20-30-40 years maybe. Ted Kennedy had 10 wins, Sanders will have atleast 20. Ted Kennedy had much fewer delegates, much less %, Sanders will run a very close campaign! He deserves to contest the convention & push the party on his agenda.

This is a GOOD response as well because of all the smart thing it says with its words. Like, how it would be a GOOD idea for Sanders to be like Ted Kennedy because all us liberals all totally want RONALD REAGAN 2.0 to be the next president. That is a SMART thought from a SMART person. Also, we are dumb because we can't put ourselves in Bernie Sanders' shoes. Which makes us DUMB, because we should totally be okay with the idea that the champion of a DEMOCRATIC REVOLUTION would advocate UN-ELECTED ESTABLISHMENT GOLDMAN SACHS FED HILLARY HACKS would overturn the will of the voters -> Which would be good and smart because reasons. Also, we are all dumb.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »

Bernie I love you man but give it up and endorse Hil...
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 02:30:07 PM »

If you're in a situation where victory is ridiculous and impossible, you should get out.  In this sense Bernie is more delusional than O'Malley.  Martin got out when it was clear he had no chance of winning.  Bernie has been a dead man walking through seven weeks and $50 million dollars now.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »

No he's not, this is just to try to ramp up support for Indiana tomorrow. He know's that its over.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:20 PM »

Guys, lets not panic. There's going to be more than a full month between the DC primary and the convention, in which Bernie is going to have to deal with a brutal news cycle everyday when he insists that the campaign is still relevant after Hillary has clinched a majority of the delegates (both pledged and supers), a majority of contests won, and at least a 10 percent popular vote victory.

He's going to have to answer questions everyday why the superdelegates should go against the decisive will of the people and be asked whether he's breaking his pledge to help the eventual nominee win. Every day he'll simply look more and more like a hypocrite and Hillary will have every incentive to just ignore his entire platform.

Bernie needs a reason to keep his campaign relevant until California and everyone has voted. If for some reason he still goes on after that, he will essentially destroy the movement he's built and be blamed by the party for President Trump. I just don't believe for a second that he's stupid enough to try a contested convention. He has way more to lose for his movement than to gain.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 03:03:05 PM »

oy vey
dspNY
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »

There is no contested convention.

1. No other candidate has earned any pledged delegates so it is mathematically impossible to get a tie (not supers). Therefore it is a two person race. One candidate will end up with a majority of pledged delegates (almost surely Clinton).

2. Once Clinton gets the 2026 pledged delegates the supers will not subvert the will of the voters, who will most likely give Clinton a landslide/double digit national victory. Clinton will rightfully claim a mandate to lead the party with 55-57% support.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »

Your understanding of what a contested convention is is incorrect. So you shouldn't be accusing other people of mental illness for actually knowing what it means.

A contested convention just means Sanders won't drop out. He will not release his delegates. They will vote for him on the first ballot. The first ballot will be contested. Then of course Hillary will win but that doesn't change the fact that the first ballot was contested. The Republican convention in 2012 was contested too, because Ron Paul didn't drop out.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »

Your understanding of what a contested convention is is incorrect. So you shouldn't be accusing other people of mental illness for actually knowing what it means.

A contested convention just means Sanders won't drop out. He will not release his delegates. They will vote for him on the first ballot. The first ballot will be contested. Then of course Hillary will win but that doesn't change the fact that the first ballot was contested. The Republican convention in 2012 was contested too, because Ron Paul didn't drop out.

Even though it was staged, technically the Democratic convention in 2008 was contested too. I wouldn't be shocked if something like that happened again this year.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies