Drinking habits by party affiliation
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:10:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Drinking habits by party affiliation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Have you ever been drunk?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Drinking habits by party affiliation  (Read 1077 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:33 PM »

From the discussion in the other thread about politics and drinking. Personally, I doubt there will be much of a correlation.

No (D) for me.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »

No, for very obvious reasons.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 01:23:09 PM »

My name is Illiniwek, and I drink aaaaaaaa lot.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 01:31:23 PM »

Flawed methodology.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

The only reason this is even a question is because of posters in the other thread's absurd belief that the word 'conservative' always and only has a political meaning.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »

I think you put a higher value on cultural conservatism, whereas I (for example) think it's less relevant than one's political conservatism (i.e., a Bible readin' White Southern male who loves God and country and lives a traditional lifestyle but strongly supports unions, redistributing income and regulating the free market has no business calling someone like me a RINO or liberal of any kind).  Using your (presumed) framework, I think there'd be a correlation, I do admit.

EDIT: Heavy drinker (R)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 02:25:16 PM »

The only reason this is even a question is because of posters in the other thread's absurd belief that the word 'conservative' always and only has a political meaning.

That's seriously what you took away from that "argument"?  LOL.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »

I literally drank from 4:00 PM (an hour after I woke up) to about 11:30 PM last night (when I went to bed). (R).

Oddly enough, I didn't have a hangover today.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »

That's seriously what you took away from that "argument"?  LOL.

I couldn't figure out why the hell else anybody would deny that substance abstinence, sexual selectivity, et cetera are (relatively speaking) 'conservative' behaviors, so yes.

Here, take a look at this picture of Veronica Lake:

Miss Lake is dressed 'conservatively' here. Although, honestly, it's Veronica Lake, who in her heyday could make any outfit look indecent, so Audrey Hepburn might be a better example:

This is from Roman Holiday, certainly far from a politically conservative work of art.

Here's another Veronica Lake picture. In this one she is not dressed conservatively. How did all that cleavage get past the Hays Code?

In this one (sorry for the bad colorization) she looks almost like she's going for a proto-goth-lingerie look:

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 02:45:44 PM »

I drink wine mostly, though I do enjoy a good Rum and Coke every now and again. I usually don't get blitzed though.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:13 PM »

But what do you do on election night if you don't drink?
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 02:52:38 PM »

Does this mean the kinds of alcohol that various parties drink?  I suspect that Democrats would mostly drink wine and cocktails, while Republicans would drink beer and whisky.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 02:56:48 PM »

But what do you do on election night if you don't drink?
Trump, Haagen Dazs. Hillary, Ben and Jerry's. Bloomberg, Kale because Ice Cream is going to be taxed out of existence under him.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2016, 03:02:13 PM »

Does this mean the kinds of alcohol that various parties drink?  I suspect that Democrats would mostly drink wine and cocktails, while Republicans would drink beer and whisky.

I think that's more of a regional thing rather than a political one.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2016, 03:07:24 PM »

I couldn't figure out why the hell else anybody would deny that substance abstinence, sexual selectivity, et cetera are (relatively speaking) 'conservative' behaviors, so yes.

I'll admit that I shouldn't have said that thing about politics in that thread. However, I still don't think there's anything inherently "conservative" in a political or non-political sense about refraining from those behaviors. "Conservative" generally implies that there's some sort of return to the past or to the status quo, which I'm not really seeing here.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2016, 03:19:30 PM by Cathcon »

I think you put a higher value on cultural conservatism, whereas I (for example) think it's less relevant than one's political conservatism (i.e., a Bible readin' White Southern male who loves God and country and lives a traditional lifestyle but strongly supports unions, redistributing income and regulating the free market has no business calling someone like me a RINO or liberal of any kind).  Using your (presumed) framework, I think there'd be a correlation, I do admit.

Didn't bother to read your post. "Flawed methodology" in the sense that being drunk once shouldn't be that strong of an indicator. Even effing Antonio's been drunk once. If the survey responses were tailor to a range of drinking, more information could be gleaned from this. There are a total of only six options; secondly, if the respondent had been drunk once, it puts them in a camp with people who might be drunk three nights a week. How much information are you going to get from that? The options are zero and greater-than-or-equal-to one. Even though doing an actually methodologically rigorous poll might be impossible on this forum in this format, there was still at least a better way to do this.

EDIT: Read your post. You're correct in your assumption, I guess. The "Bible thumper" might not be part of any Heritage foundation "conservative movement", but they will certainly be an impediment to progress. The essence of liberalism, as I understand it, was the triumph of individualism over tradition and, to an extent, community. In modern times, you can see this as advocated through attempts at universal, global norms being institutionalized through the United Nations as well as forum leftists guffawing at "muh aribtrary lines on a map". But I digress. Of course you're a "liberal Republican" in the sense that you're probably tolerant and perceive society in a relatively atomized fashion--individual over community, etc. (Didn't mean that in a hostile way, for the record)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2016, 03:12:34 PM »

Didn't bother to read your post. "Flawed methodology" in the sense that being drunk once shouldn't be that strong of an indicator. Even effing Antonio's been drunk once. If the survey responses were tailor to a range of drinking, more information could be gleaned from this. There are a total of only six options; secondly, if the respondent had been drunk once, it puts them in a camp with people who might be drunk three nights a week. How much information are you going to get from that? The options are zero and greater-than-or-equal-to one. Even though doing an actually methodologically rigorous poll might be impossible on this forum in this format, there was still at least a better way to do this.

Yikes, guess I'll return the favor.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:42 PM »

The other reason it's flawed methodology is that "I/O" is a meaningless category, as are D and R to a lesser extent.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2016, 03:20:27 PM »

Jesus man, pay attention to the edit. Your post addressed my worldview and not my comment on "flawed methodology". As such, I responded in order. I wanted to be upfront, though, rather than underhanded. I type semi-stream of consciousness.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »

I'll admit that I shouldn't have said that thing about politics in that thread. However, I still don't think there's anything inherently "conservative" in a political or non-political sense about refraining from those behaviors. "Conservative" generally implies that there's some sort of return to the past or to the status quo, which I'm not really seeing here.

I think when it's used in contexts like this it's meant in the sense of 'risk-averse' or 'cautious' (the latter being the first definition Wiktionary gives for 'conservative' as an adjective).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2016, 03:52:17 PM »

Jesus man, pay attention to the edit. Your post addressed my worldview and not my comment on "flawed methodology". As such, I responded in order. I wanted to be upfront, though, rather than underhanded. I type semi-stream of consciousness.

Haha, you hadn't edited it when I read it!  Agreed on the methodology.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 03:54:34 PM »

I think when it's used in contexts like this it's meant in the sense of 'risk-averse' or 'cautious' (the latter being the first definition Wiktionary gives for 'conservative' as an adjective).

True  The vast majority of the time I (and others) use conservative in a conversation, it's using the cautious/risk-averse definition and wholly unrelated to politics. 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 04:02:38 PM »

Eh, I guess so, although for me it's more of a rebellion against the drinking culture than anything else.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 04:07:44 PM »

I do agree that finding a correlation would be hard in the context of this forum, as we're missing wide swaths of the population, and people have reasons beyond "traditionalism" and Christian morality to not drink. Like I said in the other thread, one could just as easily see drunks as reactionaries--imagine your college leftist bitching about drunk "fratboys" or athletes that, when drunk, objectivize women, act tribally ("far too primitive for this ultra-sophisticated male feminist!"), yaddah yaddah yaddah. I feel like one might want to point out that these characters, while left-wing, might be... "illiberal" to certain extents. Think about how Antonio is not only "conservative" about drinking, but also would be suspicious of both contemporary ("liberal") and traditional gender norms--opposed to prostitution for feminist, as opposed to, say, religious reasons, and so on. Which is why a simple conservative-liberal dichotomy has limited use.

Also, see the poster right above me.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »

No (Muslim, sane)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »