Drinking habits by party affiliation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:55:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Drinking habits by party affiliation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Have you ever been drunk?
Yes (D)

No (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Drinking habits by party affiliation  (Read 1104 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 02, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

The only reason this is even a question is because of posters in the other thread's absurd belief that the word 'conservative' always and only has a political meaning.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:43:49 PM »

The only reason this is even a question is because of posters in the other thread's absurd belief that the word 'conservative' always and only has a political meaning.

That's seriously what you took away from that "argument"?  LOL.

I couldn't figure out why the hell else anybody would deny that substance abstinence, sexual selectivity, et cetera are (relatively speaking) 'conservative' behaviors, so yes.

Here, take a look at this picture of Veronica Lake:

Miss Lake is dressed 'conservatively' here. Although, honestly, it's Veronica Lake, who in her heyday could make any outfit look indecent, so Audrey Hepburn might be a better example:

This is from Roman Holiday, certainly far from a politically conservative work of art.

Here's another Veronica Lake picture. In this one she is not dressed conservatively. How did all that cleavage get past the Hays Code?

In this one (sorry for the bad colorization) she looks almost like she's going for a proto-goth-lingerie look:

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »

I couldn't figure out why the hell else anybody would deny that substance abstinence, sexual selectivity, et cetera are (relatively speaking) 'conservative' behaviors, so yes.

I'll admit that I shouldn't have said that thing about politics in that thread. However, I still don't think there's anything inherently "conservative" in a political or non-political sense about refraining from those behaviors. "Conservative" generally implies that there's some sort of return to the past or to the status quo, which I'm not really seeing here.

I think when it's used in contexts like this it's meant in the sense of 'risk-averse' or 'cautious' (the latter being the first definition Wiktionary gives for 'conservative' as an adjective).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies