In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:29:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?  (Read 1060 times)
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

Since Trump is arguably one of the most protectionist Republican candidates in recent memory, and Clinton has a sketchy record regarding free trade, will Hillary go back on her stance on the TPP?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 02:48:51 PM »

Probably
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 02:59:32 PM »

the polls seem to be tightening in a Trump v Clinton election and she will probably need all the progressives she can get, so it would be stupid to change back to a position only moderate Republicans and her husband hold.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 03:08:28 PM »

I don't think she can afford to be too free trade. I think it's the one policy position trump could possibly school her on.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 03:20:34 PM »

Let's say she does go back on her previous statements, and endorses free trade and general and the TPP in particular. How does this change the map?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:16:28 PM »

Nope.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 06:28:17 PM »

She won't be a DLC clone about it, but she's certainly not going to continue using the Sandernista talking points like she has been for the past 9 months.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 06:46:12 PM »

Not unless she wants to lose the election.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 07:23:43 PM »

She won't be a DLC clone about it, but she's certainly not going to continue using the Sandernista talking points like she has been for the past 9 months.

Wanna bet??  If she's running against Trump, she'll try to outprotectionist him, guarantee it.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 07:25:05 PM »

Wanna bet??  If she's running against Trump, she'll try to outprotectionist him, guarantee it.

Boy I hope so. Two protectionist candidates!? Gotta love it.
Fargobison

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »

I wish HRC luck in trying to do that....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/MajorCBS/status/727291460337410049
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2016, 07:42:22 PM »

Why would she differentiate herself from Trump on an issue most people agree with Trump on?

This is like asking, if Trump pets a puppy, will Hillary drop kick a puppy?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »

Hopefully, but she'll probably just be vague and neutral about it. No need to take big risks.
Fargobison

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2016, 05:39:16 PM »

Trump doubling down on his trade views....

John HarwoodVerified account
You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/728702269315796992
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 05:40:39 PM »

Why would she differentiate herself from Trump on an issue most people agree with Trump on?

Also this.  Democrats are at LEAST as receptive to anti-trade messages as are Republicans.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2016, 05:50:48 PM »

Republicans and Democrats can both arrive at anti-trade positions, but they tend to get there in different ways in my opinion.  Now, I am 100% pro-free trade, but that is unfortunately not a winning issue in 2016.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2016, 07:10:11 PM »

Also this.  Democrats are at LEAST as receptive to anti-trade messages as are Republicans.

Yeah the nation as a whole is pretty anti-free trade right now.
i4indyguy
Rookie
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2016, 09:09:05 PM »

I think her instincts and her knowledge lead her to pro-free trade.  But as a politician who has already run for highest office, and been seriously challenged from the economic left (one time so seriously that she ended up taking orders from a Jr Sn. from Ill.)   she cannot afford to move more centrist on trade (read: elitist establishment).   

Donald trump presents the challenge of being such a BANDWIDTH HOG, unscrupulous deceiver, and fact free branding vessel that he could likely win any messaging war on the merits of free trade agreements.

It matters not the least bit that %90 of economists share the same view. Donald trump more than anyone can drive the counter-narrative.

So Hillary cannot give ground in THIS area. But there are plenty of other ways for her to remind 'trade minded business interests' just how detestable they find him.  Going 'free-trade' in the general is one of the few things that could break the 'blue wall' in the industrial Midwest. Must be avoided if you are her.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 09:32:30 PM »

It would be a tremendously stupid thing to do, so probably.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 09:33:15 AM »

Depends. If she thinks she can win over establishment Republicans while not losing her own Democrats, very possibly. Could be part of her path to a landslide if there is no conservative candidate in the race.

Otherwise, probably not. But I have wondered recently what it would be like if Hillary tried to run to Trump's right fiscally if Trump were to go hard left/protectionist.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2016, 09:40:28 AM »

She can't. If she did, she would have to be incredibly stupid. There is no good way to spin "free trade" right now, if that's what you want to call some of these agreements.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2016, 10:03:40 AM »

I really hope she doesn't, because that is one of the few scenarios I can envision where she loses.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »

If Clinton flip flops on free trade, NAFTA, TPP, etc., the base of the party and the hard core progressives will stay home or vote for Jill Stein. She cannot afford to do so. She is seen as a flip flopper on free trade already, she would lose states like Ohio and Iowa to Trump and it would cause a lot of problems.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2016, 12:16:53 PM »

It's funny how some Atlas posters literally have no idea how elections work, even while analyzing them all day.

Why the hell would she do this? What benefit is there? Yes, we all know free trade is better. But how do you tell that to some guy who was laid off and now works at Walmart? How do you tell that to some college graduate who can't get a job in any relevant field?

People are angry. Clinton needs to bring up traditional Democratic themes such as worker's rights, minimum wage hikes, and opposing capitalists. I don't necessarily have to agree with those themes to know that they are the keys to victories in Ohio and Pennsylvania, at least one of which she will virtually have to win.

Don't mess around with this election.

I figured she'd stay the course she was going on trade. But I had heard from a handful of people that the best strategy would be to be as ideologically different from Trump as possible. I know that simply wouldn't work, so I was curious to know if there is any chance that she'd change her tune regarding trade.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2016, 12:30:44 PM »

When she is president I am sure she will pursue the sensible policy of advancing free trade agreements.

But during the election? She would be crazy to campaign on this. Especially with Trump apparently going after labor dems, and there being no room for nuance in presidential elections. I'd expect a lot of "I'm for fair trade" nonsense for the next 6 months.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies