In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:42:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: In a Trump v. Clinton election, will Clinton swing back to being free trade?  (Read 1022 times)
Fargobison

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2016, 06:31:46 PM »
« edited: May 19, 2016, 06:33:42 PM by Fargobison »

The GOP nominee for president....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/733437657469046784
You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/mattfleg/status/733439935928225792
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2016, 09:29:36 PM »

She is for nafta and tpp If trumps campaign is smart wrapped this around her neck.   It's the one issue that the demo are worried about.    Trump has to trick her into defending free trade... it's actually easier than you think.  You guys hate trump and what he stands for so anytime he takes a position you guys hammer him on it.   Free trade is hated by avg voters .
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2016, 09:38:44 PM »

Gallup has had a majority of Americans supporting free trade since 2013, and the policy slowly picking up support from a nadir reached in 2008. (58% supporting, 34% against in 2016). I doubt she'll do it, because it probably repels more pro-Clinton anti-trade voters than attracting pro-Trump pro-trade people, but it's clear, but it would be very nice to have a candidate that agrees with the majority of the American public on this issue.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »

Gallup has had a majority of Americans supporting free trade since 2013, and the policy slowly picking up support from a nadir reached in 2008. (58% supporting, 34% against in 2016). I doubt she'll do it, because it probably repels more pro-Clinton anti-trade voters than attracting pro-Trump pro-trade people, but it's clear, but it would be very nice to have a candidate that agrees with the majority of the American public on this issue.

Despite all the fuss, the reality is that Americans didn't really give a sh*t about trade one way or the other until Trump brought it up. I remember polls showing like 60% of Americans didn't even have an opinion on TPP, but if you read Atlas you'd think it was the most important issue in the world to most people.

By the way, I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar. Going incognito? Tongue
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2016, 09:52:39 PM »

Despite all the fuss, the reality is that Americans didn't really give a sh*t about trade one way or the other until Trump brought it up. I remember polls showing like 60% of Americans didn't even have an opinion on TPP, but if you read Atlas you'd think it was the most important issue in the world to most people.

This is also true, but Gallup somehow push >90% of their respondents to respond to issue polling. It'd be pretty useless if they didn't, and it's very useful in replying to trolls/newbies who inevitably believe most Americans agree with them on everything.

By the way, I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar. Going incognito? Tongue

Gotta avoid being deported to Russia when the Trumpists on this forum report me to our overlord Grin

In all seriousness, the Illinois part of my avatar has been an Artifact for a very long time (I haven't lived in Illinois since 2005), and I was always a Republican since I felt that party was the lesser of two evils, not out of any great attachment to the party. The nomination of Trump, and my subsequent decision that even Hillary f*king Clinton would be a superior President to him, felt like as good a time as any to make the switch to I-OH, which is much more truthful.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »

I'm the biggest free-trade guy there is, and I agree on two things,

1. The TPP is toxic and needs to die
2. Hillary can't go pro-trade or she'll lose.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies