Could a Trump nomination cause an exodus of moderate Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:24:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Could a Trump nomination cause an exodus of moderate Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Could a Trump nomination cause an exodus of moderate Republicans?  (Read 3128 times)
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« on: May 02, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »

I could see someone like Susan Collins endorse Hillary Clinton and announce she's becoming a Democrat.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 10:34:22 PM »

I could see someone like Susan Collins endorse Hillary Clinton and announce she's becoming a Democrat.
Isn't it more likely she would become an Independent. She comes from a state with a strong history of electing independent candidates.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. Most senators don't have the luxury of going independent if it suits them.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »

True conservatives would leave before moderate Republicans. Trump is the most moderate the GOP has seen in a long time. And I don't know if true conservatives would really let Hillary win.

Agreed,

Why would moderate Republicans leave the party when Trump is essentially one of them.

Can we dispel with this fiction that Trump is a moderate already? Wanting to build a wall and ban all Muslim immigration cancels out whatever moderate views on other issues he may have.
youngohioan216
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:27:38 PM »

I'm a moderate, but not a republican. Using my parents, who I suspect are in the 'establishment republican' mold as an example though:

Both B.S. graduates from reputable public universities, stable jobs, no criminal background, white, mainline protestant, a few years from retirement, est. house income 125-175K.

Father has made no endorsing statements so far. Not a peep.
But my mother demonstrates visceral repulsion at the mention of Donald. She voted Bush 04, Obama 08, Romney 12. 

We all live in the FL I-4 Corridor. When senator Sherrod Brown talked about moderate suburban Ohio voters deciding election (sorry couldn't find link) he was speaking about people like my parents.

I'm certain Donald trumps presence on the ticket guarantees to flip my mothers vote. And a chance for my dad as well.  These are people who are %75 Rep normally.

Especially in a swing state, tough votes to be loosing.

Replace "mainline protestant" with Catholic and that almost perfectly describes my parents.  They are the moderate suburban Ohio voters Sherrod Brown was talking about.  They are not the type of people who normally talk a lot about politics but have been completely against Trump from day one. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies