Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:24:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Hillary's trip to west virginia didn't go too well  (Read 4133 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2016, 11:39:17 PM »
« edited: May 02, 2016, 11:41:41 PM by marty »

West virginia is basically a microcosm of the pretty surreal collapse of the democratic party among the white working class. This was a state that bill clinton won twice in giant landslides.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/clinton-faces-tough-crowd-west-virginia-coal-country-000639200--election.html

1992: bill wins state by huge margin, wins every county but a few.

2016: logan, WV bans hillary clinton
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 11:46:28 PM »

I don't know why she's there to begin with. West Virginia is thankfully irrelevant. And we all know the only reason she won in a landslide in 2008 was because her opponent was a black guy. If Edwards was still in the race then he would've beaten them both in a landslide. Hell, he got 7% even after he was out of the race for like 3 months. Then of course, they nearly vote for a convicted felon/prison inmate over the incumbent black president. le edgy racist west virginians xDxD

West Virginia and Oklahoma were the only states I actually WANTED Hillary to lose, so I'm happy with this news! That said, this article is quite terrible. It basically writes about a single encounter she had with a Republican, then about Trump protesters.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 11:50:29 PM »

I don't want Sanders to win WV, mainly because of what people will make of that, but also because WV has never backed my preferred candidate as long as I've been able to vote (in a primary or GE.) I'd like it to stay that way.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 11:52:20 PM »

Filing this under "Things I could have predicted years ago"

Between the racism and the unwillingness to accept that the coal industry is incompatible with the future (I'm not going to speculate on the relative magnitude of those problems), our party isn't going to recover there, not for a generation at least.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 11:53:15 PM »

I don't want Sanders to win WV, mainly because of what people will make of that, but also because WV has never backed my preferred candidate as long as I've been able to vote (in a primary or GE.) I'd like it to stay that way.

At least one person on this forum has used Sanders winning Oklahoma as evidence of the Sanders campaign being racist.
dax00

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 11:55:17 PM »

People, we've got to be considerate of all states, even the awful ones.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 11:58:34 PM »

People, we've got to be considerate of all states, even the awful ones.

I want to help West Virginia. I want them to have a 21st century economy, rather than a 19th century one. But as long as they continue to reject that, the Democratic party is going to lose there. We can outvote the racists, as we do in other parts of the country, but outvoting both the racists and the Luddites is a bit too heavy a lift.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 12:00:49 AM »

If the choice is between a bunch of retraining money or a clown bleeting  he's gonna make coal great again, the wise choice would be to take the money and run.  Of course, we all know the choice they'll make.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:01:03 AM »

I wouldn't say West Virginia is a "microcosm" of the Democratic Party's relationship with the white working class at all. More like West Virginia is a macrocosm of their issues with the coal industry and those that depend on it, along with Kentucky, SW Pennsylvania, SE Ohio, some areas of Virginia, etc. Anyway, kudos to her for visiting I guess, but the state is and will remain hostile territory to Democrats for a long time. Just like Vermont was a reliable Republican state that went hard towards the Democratic party in a short amount of time, West Virginia was a reliable Democratic state that is (has) going hard towards the Republican party in a short amount of time. I can see Trump getting 65-70% in the state even if Hillary wins nationwide by double digits.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:07:03 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2016, 12:10:29 AM by libertpaulian »

I wouldn't say West Virginia is a "microcosm" of the Democratic Party's relationship with the white working class at all. More like West Virginia is a macrocosm of their issues with the coal industry and those that depend on it, along with Kentucky, SW Pennsylvania, SE Ohio, some areas of Virginia, etc. Anyway, kudos to her for visiting I guess, but the state is and will remain hostile territory to Democrats for a long time. Just like Vermont was a reliable Republican state that went hard towards the Democratic party in a short amount of time, West Virginia was a reliable Democratic state that is (has) going hard towards the Republican party in a short amount of time. I can see Trump getting 65-70% in the state even if Hillary wins nationwide by double digits.
The problem is that the Democrats have gone hard left on the issues that matter to them most.  The Dems went from being moderate environmentalists (I'm pretty sure most people would support the Clean Water Act, for example) to hardcore hippie Sierra Club activists about it.  Considering WV is a coal state, that doesn't play too well there.  If the Democrats could shift a bit more to the middle on environmental issues, while still supporting labor rights and the basics of the New Deal, WV could shift back to the blue column.

I could see a moderate like Evan Bayh, Jim Webb, John Bel Edwards, etc. putting it into play in a future election.
Panda Express

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:20:23 AM »

Clinton is in the midst of a two-day campaign swing through Appalachia ahead of voting in that region later this month. She was met in West Virginia by hundreds of protesters, who waved Donald Trump signs and chanted "Kill-ary."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 12:21:28 AM »

The problem is that the Democrats have gone hard left on the issues that matter to them most.  The Dems went from being moderate environmentalists (I'm pretty sure most people would support the Clean Water Act, for example) to hardcore hippie Sierra Club activists about it.  Considering WV is a coal state, that doesn't play too well there.  If the Democrats could shift a bit more to the middle on environmental issues, while still supporting labor rights and the basics of the New Deal, WV could shift back to the blue column.

I could see a moderate like Evan Bayh, Jim Webb, John Bel Edwards, etc. putting it into play in a future election.

Not trying to pick on you personally, but there's good reason the Democrats have gone "hard left" on coal. It's a major contributor towards climate change, which the Department of Defense considers a significant threat to national security.

"Shifting a bit more to the middle" on the environment at this point is like shifting a little towards the middle on allowing poison in baby food. It doesn't frelling matter how much of WV's economy depends on poisonous baby food, it's still a bad idea.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:52 AM »

Some people on this forum might not realize that most people from West Virginia are literate. And I don't think this type of talk makes them want to vote Democrat.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2016, 12:33:07 AM »

Not trying to pick on you personally, but there's good reason the Democrats have gone "hard left" on coal. It's a major contributor towards climate change, which the Department of Defense considers a significant threat to national security.

"Shifting a bit more to the middle" on the environment at this point is like shifting a little towards the middle on allowing poison in baby food. It doesn't frelling matter how much of WV's economy depends on poisonous baby food, it's still a bad idea.
Your radical environmental positions are stealing baby food from babies and starving the people Appalachia by crushing their income so think about that before you pretend to hold the righteous ground.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2016, 12:35:17 AM »

Okay, that's fine, but don't whine when Republicans continue to make gains and inroads into West Virginia.  Just like how the GOP shouldn't whine that they lost California because they decided to be Bible thumpers on gay rights and nativist on immigration.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2016, 12:42:23 AM »

In 1950 Logan County had 77,000 people
In 2010 Logan County had 37,000 people

It's been going on for awhile.  They lose to modernization.  They lose to cheaper coal.  They lose to natural gas and combined cycle technology.  They'll keep losing and losing and losing.
rob in cal
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2016, 12:43:08 AM »

Ironic that WV is perceived to have left the Dems over race issues when one remembers the very reason why it became a state to begin with.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2016, 12:48:23 AM »

Crap like this makes me thankful that West Virginia is now a Republican state. You guys can have them. Thank God the coal industry is dying.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2016, 12:53:29 AM »

Ironic that WV is perceived to have left the Dems over race issues when one remembers the very reason why it became a state to begin with.

While WV isn't enlightened  on race by any measure, it's all about coal.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2016, 01:01:18 AM »

Atlas' strange fixation on working class Appalachian former coal miners never ceases to amaze.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2016, 01:03:51 AM »

Atlas' strange fixation on working class Appalachian former coal miners never ceases to amaze.

Probably just want the map to look better.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2016, 01:04:18 AM »

Crap like this makes me thankful that West Virginia is now a Republican state. You guys can have them. Thank God the coal industry is dying.

Joe Manchin won't be very happy to hear that.

Manchin is a relic. Hopefully he's able to win the next time is up for reelection. If not, it was bound to happen and we'll have to come up with a replacement from another state like Maine (whenever Collins retires).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2016, 01:07:04 AM »

Your radical environmental positions are stealing baby food from babies and starving the people Appalachia by crushing their income so think about that before you pretend to hold the righteous ground.
Yeah, but if they were at all willing to try and embrace a new kind of baby food, things could begin to turn around and recover. Problem is, these babies insist on eating poison.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:53 AM »

I wouldn't call realizing that fossil fuels are harmful a 'radical' position.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2016, 01:47:25 AM »

The problem is that the Democrats have gone hard left on the issues that matter to them most.  The Dems went from being moderate environmentalists (I'm pretty sure most people would support the Clean Water Act, for example) to hardcore hippie Sierra Club activists about it.  Considering WV is a coal state, that doesn't play too well there.  If the Democrats could shift a bit more to the middle on environmental issues, while still supporting labor rights and the basics of the New Deal, WV could shift back to the blue column.

Oh,so saying that coal is the worst energy source in a world suffering from climate change is a "radical environmental position"? Really?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies