Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:14:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: are we born inherently knowing a gender identity or is it taught by society.
nature

nurture

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: gender  (Read 4168 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2005, 03:34:08 PM »

Indeed, although I believe that "sex" is preferable in a scientific context.

If people misuse a word enough, the definition gets put in the dictionary. Doesn't mean much.
The "correctness" of language is to a large extent (but not completely) determined by popular usage.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2005, 03:36:01 PM »

it's a nature thing mainly.  Yeah, there's some influence from society, but we act how we do because we're born that way.  Going back to the original topic, men naturally don't find "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" interesting, now the societal part may come from us being so grossed out by that movie we would rather sevre our balls than watch it, but no male would ever naturally find that movie interesting.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »

it's a nature thing mainly.  Yeah, there's some influence from society, but we act how we do because we're born that way.  Going back to the original topic, men naturally don't find "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" interesting, now the societal part may come from us being so grossed out by that movie we would rather sevre our balls than watch it, but no male would ever naturally find that movie interesting.

I disagree. If you were to raise a boy similar to the way you raise a girl, I think he would find the move interesting. Especially if he was gay. But perhaps you are right, due to the movie being geared towards an audience, not of women but for people who are sexually attracted to men. I'm sure if you were to raise your son the way you would raise a daughter, he may enjoy this movie if the roles in it were reversed, providing he were straight.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 02:59:35 PM »

Nature. Here's a serious question. If you put two male babies and two female babies on an island ( they don't die), do you think that in 5 years they will be acting differently according to sex and by ten they will find some sort of attraction to the opposite sex. I would think so. It's inherent. A male has XY and a female has XX. They produce different levels of different hormones and 96% of the time, they are attracted to the opposite sex, and I'm sure that in many African tribal societies with no contact with the radical libertarianism and social permissiveness of he West, the number is 100%.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 03:04:51 PM »

Nature. Here's a serious question. If you put two male babies and two female babies on an island ( they don't die), do you think that in 5 years they will be acting differently according to sex and by ten they will find some sort of attraction to the opposite sex. I would think so. It's inherent. A male has XY and a female has XX. They produce different levels of different hormones and 96% of the time, they are attracted to the opposite sex, and I'm sure that in many African tribal societies with no contact with the radical libertarianism and social permissiveness of he West, the number is 100%.

One day, perhaps we too, can achieve the glory of the African tribes.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2005, 10:17:45 PM »

A combination of both - but I'd say more nurture than nature.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2005, 11:01:06 PM »

African tribes work to nurture their children too. That's why different societies have different gender roles. If you put 4 people on an island they will still be effected by society- their own society. The only way you can do this experiment is by putting someone in a vaccuum.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 05:21:38 AM »

African tribes work to nurture their children too. That's why different societies have different gender roles. If you put 4 people on an island they will still be effected by society- their own society. The only way you can do this experiment is by putting someone in a vaccuum.

So you think if four people, two men, two women were put on four different planets, each their own, each supplied with their own necessities, that it would necessarily be all that different?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2005, 05:23:08 PM »

So you think if four people, two men, two women were put on four different planets, each their own, each supplied with their own necessities, that it would necessarily be all that different?

What I am saying is, we wouldnt know what would occur. It is also not the best way to test whether it is nature or nurture (or a combination) that is true.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies