Dean & McGovern
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:12:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Dean & McGovern
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Dean & McGovern  (Read 8140 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003, 11:04:50 AM »

McGovern wasn't that crazy of a liberal. The man was a World War 2 fighter pilot, a decorated veteran and war hero. To make him out to be unpatriotic was just plain ridiculous. But yes, perception IS reality in politics, unfortuantely.
One BIG difference between Dean and McGovern, and also Dean and Dukakis, is that Dean is much more aggressive than either of them. Dean will not just stand back and get attacked and not respond like those 2 did. Dean will have an answer for all charges brought against him.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003, 12:32:13 PM »

He will have an answer, but will America buy it?  I don't think so.
DarthKosh

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2003, 02:26:38 PM »

McGovern wasn't that crazy of a liberal. The man was a World War 2 fighter pilot, a decorated veteran and war hero. To make him out to be unpatriotic was just plain ridiculous. But yes, perception IS reality in politics, unfortuantely.
One BIG difference between Dean and McGovern, and also Dean and Dukakis, is that Dean is much more aggressive than either of them. Dean will not just stand back and get attacked and not respond like those 2 did. Dean will have an answer for all charges brought against him.

Deans temper will be his downfall.  Plus Dean has the tendacy to speak before he thinks.  It may not hurt him in the primaries but in the general it will kill him.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2003, 10:09:22 PM »

Is Dean the next McGovern?  I don't think so...

If anything, I think he's the next Barry Goldwater.  He might lose by a landslide, but I think he'll galvanize a Democratic party looking for organization, a clear message and policy in the coming decades.

Ironically, this new message that Dean is proposing is essentially the same principals laid down by Truman and Humphrey in the 1948 convention.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2003, 11:17:39 PM »

You got the year, 1948 right - but unfortunately more like Henry Wallace on foreign policy
jravnsbo

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003, 12:30:56 AM »

Now that is more plausible.  Dean will get to name the head of the DNC by winning the nominationa nd if he leads the Dems to a loss the party will do some soul searching to the next extreme, but I don't seea  hard left liberal winning the presidency anytime soon.

If anything, I think he's the next Barry Goldwater.  He might lose by a landslide, but I think he'll galvanize a Democratic party looking for organization, a clear message and policy in the coming decades.

Ironically, this new message that Dean is proposing is essentially the same principals laid down by Truman and Humphrey in the 1948 convention.
DarthKosh

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003, 09:14:45 AM »

That's even better a hard left party that will be in the wilderness for more then a generation.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2003, 09:15:04 AM »

Do you know what the hard left(www.pcf.fr) actually is?
DarthKosh

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2003, 09:18:13 AM »

Do you know what the hard left(www.pcf.fr) actually is?

i see it on college campsus all the time.
jravnsbo

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2003, 10:56:55 AM »

yeah ask a professor.

This really happened to me!

I walked into a political science class and the teacher said there are 2 things that won't ever change about me and my class "1- I only give 1 A and a lot of B's and I'm a communist so live with it!"

WTF??!!  I was outraged but he is tenured and untouchable.
DarthKosh

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2003, 11:32:07 AM »

yeah ask a professor.

This really happened to me!

I walked into a political science class and the teacher said there are 2 things that won't ever change about me and my class "1- I only give 1 A and a lot of B's and I'm a communist so live with it!"

WTF??!!  I was outraged but he is tenured and untouchable.

Colleges are one of the last fortresses of the hard left.
jravnsbo

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2003, 11:40:01 AM »

Recently I was encouraged that a lot of the people cooming out of college are more conservative than they ever have been.  I think the more information out there the better.  That way they can see for themselves instead of just being spoonfeed and taking it in from professors.
DarthKosh

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2003, 11:42:43 AM »

Recently I was encouraged that a lot of the people cooming out of college are more conservative than they ever have been.  I think the more information out there the better.  That way they can see for themselves instead of just being spoonfeed and taking it in from professors.

Well atleast that is a ray of hope.
Cairo_East
Cairo_Eastq
Rookie

« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2003, 07:43:21 PM »
« Edited: December 30, 2003, 07:47:16 PM by Cairo_East »

Well atleast that is a ray of hope.

I hate to threadjack, but I had to respond to this.  As an 2002 graduate of a public university in Pennsylvania, I would say most students are apolitical.  I agree that the students who care about politics are much better informed and less prone to persuasion, so there is a greater balance of conservatives and liberals in universities.  I would consider the student government during my time in college to be more conservative than moderate or liberal.

My least favorite professor was a liberal wacko.  I hated being treated like I had no idea what was going on, and the professor seemed more like an ancient relic of the past than an inspiration.  Nothing irritates me more than liberals deevolving everything into buzzwords and tired old phrases about the right - and I think that professor did nothing but that.  Fortunately, that professor was fired the next year.

I think the bigger issue are the large mass of apolitical students who just don't care about politics.  I think if Britney Spears and U2 held a "Continue Imprisoning Tibet" concert, most students would support additional crackdowns in Lhasa.
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2004, 07:51:17 AM »

If the economy keeps improving Dean will be a cooked goose.  The first election I followed was '84 (was a Dem then) and Mondale kept saying that he was attracting new voters, women would secretly vote for the Democrat ticket, and that Democrat turnout would overwhelm  Reagan on election day.  I was naive enough to buy it all then was shocked when he was losing everything but home state (which he won by just 2/10 of 1%!)  When Mass. voters were asked why they voted for Reagan, one guy said "Even Liberal Democrats don't want their taxes raised".
jravnsbo

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

And just think Reagan didn't campaign in MN as it was home turf., might have been a sweep if he had.

If the economy keeps improving Dean will be a cooked goose.  The first election I followed was '84 (was a Dem then) and Mondale kept saying that he was attracting new voters, women would secretly vote for the Democrat ticket, and that Democrat turnout would overwhelm  Reagan on election day.  I was naive enough to buy it all then was shocked when he was losing everything but home state (which he won by just 2/10 of 1%!)  When Mass. voters were asked why they voted for Reagan, one guy said "Even Liberal Democrats don't want their taxes raised".
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies