Do you think Dubya would be considered too liberal by today's GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:32:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think Dubya would be considered too liberal by today's GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: Do you think Dubya would be considered too liberal by today's GOP?  (Read 4190 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:54 PM »

Give reasons for why you think (or don't) think so.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 10:04:50 PM »

W. visited a mosque to reassure American Muslims.

W. refuses to criticize Obama, at least out in the open.

If you're not so far to the right that you're off a cliff, you're a RINO.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »

Not socially, but he's still a Rockefeller type in evangelical clothing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:45:37 AM »

In campaigning- No.

In Governance- Yes
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:31:53 AM »

By the craziest members of the Tea Party? Yes.
By most Republicans? No.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:48:58 AM »

You guys forget, Dubya was (and is for that matter) likable.  Like Obama and Reagan and to a slightly lesser extent Bill.  Polar opposites of Cruz, Hillary or Kerry.  GOP Presidents can convince GOP voters that a non-conservative thing is ok if they are likable.  If Dubya's daddy was likable he would have had a second term.  If Dubya wasn't likable, he would have lost to Kerry.  Hell, if Kerry didn't play the role of Douche so well (vs Dubya's Turd Sandwich) he would have won.  Bush in 04 was as beatable as Hillary will be this year, and just like the Dems in 04, the GOP in 16 is giving us a pile of garbage in a suit (and a fat wallet).
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:58:18 AM »

No, he's a neocon and TRUMP is much more moderate than this guy.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:29 AM »

You guys forget, Dubya was (and is for that matter) likable.  Like Obama and Reagan and to a slightly lesser extent Bill.  Polar opposites of Cruz, Hillary or Kerry.  GOP Presidents can convince GOP voters that a non-conservative thing is ok if they are likable.
W's been used as a punching bag by both parties for so long now that it's hard for people now to remember how likable he was.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »

Any person describing Dubya as "liberal", regardless of the context, is in dire need of lobotomy.
mencken
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 03:45:28 PM »

By most Republicans? No.

This cycle ought to have demonstrated that only about ~30% of the Party actually cares about ideology.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 05:15:14 PM »

Any person describing Dubya as "liberal", regardless of the context, is in dire need of lobotomy.
What's the point of lobotomizing people twice?
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »

He expanded Medicare to cover prescription drugs, created No Child Left Behind, fought for Immigration Reform, and insisted on Islam as a religion of peace.

One of those things would get him called a moderate. All of them make him a RINO. Even with his hawkishness, social conservatism, tax cuts, and SS privatization attempt.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:05 AM »

He expanded Medicare to cover prescription drugs, created No Child Left Behind, fought for Immigration Reform, and insisted on Islam as a religion of peace.

One of those things would get him called a moderate. All of them make him a RINO. Even with his hawkishness, social conservatism, tax cuts, and SS privatization attempt.

I'm not very qualified to say if someone is conservative or not, but I disagree with that analysis.  It's important not just what issues are being tackled but also how they are being tackled.  Most Republicans don't want to scrap medicare, so incremental reform isn't out of the realm of possibility - especially when the method of that reform is a mixed public-private solution.  NCLB was an unfunded mandate meant to enforce standards on schools that were deemed to be "failing," using punishment as a tool to incentivize improvement.  And as for Islam, just because Trump and Cruz are lunatics, doesn't mean the whole party agrees with that.  A lot of them don't.  Though I'll give you Immigration Reform.  He definitely took a lot of heat from all sides for that, but I think he just genuinely believed it was the right thing to do.

Anyway, have to remember that Bush also wanted a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.  He might be considered too liberal by tea party loons, but I think most conservatives would be fine with him.

He would do well with the establishment wing, the social conservative wing, and the neocon wing, even if he wouldn't appeal to some of the hardest Trumpists.
RightBehind
AlwaysBernie

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 01:02:28 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2016, 03:26:27 PM by RightBehind »

I would beg and crawl on my hands and knees for him to come back before I'd embrace Trump as my president.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 03:15:44 PM »

I would beg and crawl on my hands and knees for him to come bacl before I'd embrace Trump as my president.
Yeah, that can't be understated.  Dubya, no matter how much you may have hated him, was much better than Trump will be.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »

Judging from who they just nominated, the GOP's issues don't seem to really line up on the left-right spectrum.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:46 PM »

Today's GOP no longer cares about liberalism or conservatism, only whether you're winning or losing. And whether you're ugly of course. Stuff like that.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »

It's worth noting that the most conservative elements of the GOP circa 2000-2010 thought GWB was too liberal on a whole host of issues (immigration, health care, spending). It was nonsense then and it's nonsense now.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 05:57:38 PM »

By most Republicans? No.

This cycle ought to have demonstrated that only about ~30% of the Party actually cares about ideology.

In 2016, that is.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 04:04:57 PM »

By most Republicans? No.

This.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 01:51:36 AM »

George W. Bushism is still very much alive and thriving in the GOP. Maybe the man himself is toxic because we know how much of a failure he is today, but every modern GOPer follows his model, including Trump.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2016, 04:25:56 AM »

The GOP just nominated Donald Trump, a registered Democrat from the entire Bush years, a top donor to Hillary Clinton, a longtime backer of universal healthcare and expanded infrastructure spending, and a foreign policy isolationist.  You can argue Trump is to the right of W due to immigration, trade, etc., but one could just as easily make the opposite case.  But the short answer in my mind is no, he wouldn't be seen as too liberal by today's GOP.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2016, 04:28:20 AM »

As the comments have revealed, in some ways he's conservative enough or even too conservative (foreign policy, economics), on other dimensions he's not conservative enough (nativism)

I should clarify I'm talking about the voters, not the donor base/establishment, for whom he would be perfectly acceptable
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2016, 02:42:39 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 02:44:57 PM by Maxwell »

And Bush would be perfectly acceptable to voters. Ideology does not matter in today's GOP, it's all about perception.

Jeb and George W. had identical policy positions (in fact, it could be argued, Jeb was more conservative), but George W. won by being a kickass Texan, while Jeb got defined as a bumbling, wimpy idiot (I'm not sure he's an idiot, but boy was he bumbling and wimpy).
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »

Right before the Trump phenomenon, I would've said no on social issues, but yes on fiscal issues. The Tea Party was in large part a reaction to the reckless increases in domestic spending during the Dubya years. No Republican running in 2012 wanted to bring back "big government conservatism."

Now with Trump though, I don't know what to think because Trump is to the left of Bush on fiscal/economic issues.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies