#NeverTrump will fall in line
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:50:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  #NeverTrump will fall in line
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: #NeverTrump will fall in line  (Read 2175 times)
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:53:18 AM »

The elected officials, think tankers and op-ed columnists leading the conservative movement have always been scam artists and conmen without principles. Does anyone seriously believe they'll hold out against Trump? 
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 05:56:22 AM »

A lot of the #NeverTrump crowd was purely trying to stop him from winning the nomination, because they think he's unelectable. For example, I would try hard to prevent Alan Grayson from winning the Democratic nomination (unless the alternative was somehow worse), but I'd still vote for him in the general.

However, it depends on the person. I look forward to reading Republicans' justifications for supporting Trump.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 06:00:33 AM »

Does anyone seriously believe they'll hold out against Trump? 

Most of them probably will, yes.  Why wouldn't they?  What do you mean by "hold out against Trump"?  What's Trump going to do to them?  For that matter, in most of these cases, does Trump even care if they support him or not?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, because it's impossible for people who disagree with you to have principles.   
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 06:37:40 AM »

I really think we should give these people a chance before criticizing them for something we think they'll do because we dislike them.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 10:33:48 AM »

I am tired of the narrative that reluctantly voting for Trump proves that you have no principles.  I get that Trump isn't a true conservative, but the Supreme Court is the reason these people will fall in line.  If Scalia were still alive, I would be much more willing to consider a third party.  But, if Clinton wins, Roe stands for at least 20 more years, and we can't afford that.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 10:36:27 AM »

I sure as hell won't
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:39:15 AM »

The #NeverTrumps who won't fall in line or vote for Hillary wouldn't have voted for Rubio, Cruz or Kasich either. Trump has 1000 reasons to worry about the general, #Republicans4Hillary is not one of them.

What matters is whether they voted for Romney.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 10:44:30 AM »

I am tired of the narrative that reluctantly voting for Trump proves that you have no principles.  I get that Trump isn't a true conservative, but the Supreme Court is the reason these people will fall in line.  If Scalia were still alive, I would be much more willing to consider a third party.  But, if Clinton wins, Roe stands for at least 20 more years, and we can't afford that.

Well in your case it's just that you have terrible principles.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 10:49:56 AM »

I am tired of the narrative that reluctantly voting for Trump proves that you have no principles.
indeed. the correct statement would in fact be, "voting for trump, whether reluctantly or not, proves that you have no principles."
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 11:01:22 AM »

The elected officials, think tankers and op-ed columnists leading the conservative movement have always been scam artists and conmen without principles. Does anyone seriously believe they'll hold out against Trump? 

I do think that people like Mitt Romney who have said that they will not support Trump will not vote for him or campaign for him or endorse him. 
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:20:09 PM »

We'll see in six months. Smiley
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »

I don't plan on voting for Trump in Nov., because I don't like him and will write in Mitt Romney. However, if Trump can get his act together and pick a respectable running mate, I'll vote for Trump. So I guess it all depends on the veep slot.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

Even if you assume NeverTrumpers will abandon their principles for self-interest, they would still need to believe that Trump is going to win to get on board. It seems to me that the NeverTrumpers believe he will lose badly and anyone associated with Trump will be tainted in the future. So from their perspective, it is in their best interest to be against him and be able to say 'I told you so' in the future. 

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 03:01:02 PM »

There are many Republicans now, and in November, who will not vote for trump.
That fact remains.
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 04:01:51 PM »

Yes, I'm pretty certain that #NeverTrump will morph into #NeverClinton...
SillyAmerican
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »

There are many Republicans now, and in November, who will not vote for trump.
That fact remains.

Yes. The only question, really, is whether more people will vote for Trump or Clinton. For the answer to that question, as Ljube says, we'll have to wait 'til November...
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 04:13:52 PM »

Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 04:16:29 PM »

Which is why I am urging Sanders supporters to vote Clinton in the general.  I will not rest until all human beings have full control over their own bodies, until our reproductive rights are completely safe, until gay, lesbian, bisexual, and trans people are free from bigotry and persecution, and until we can be assured that the wall separating church and state is absolute, impregnable, and eternal.  All of those things are tossed to the flames if we elect any Republican and he or she is allowed to make SCOTUS appointments.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »

I find it funny that Ljube thinks I'll EVER support Trump....yeah... the guy who trash talks Muslims and uses conspiracy theories to spread his filth is going to get my vote in November....that is so funny I forgot to laugh...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »

I'm sure there is actually a legitimate number of Republicans who may not vote for Trump for a variety of reasons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 04:23:25 PM »

At the very least they will just keep as silent as possible. No person that wants to have a future will openly oppose the nominee and, thus, effectively support a Democrat.

Come November #NeverTrump (as well as BernieOrBush) crowd will be very small.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »

I don't plan on voting for Trump in Nov., because I don't like him and will write in Mitt Romney. However, if Trump can get his act together and pick a respectable running mate, I'll vote for Trump. So I guess it all depends on the veep slot.
ah, you're planning on assassinating him? good man.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:58 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, because it's impossible for people who disagree with you to have principles.   
No, it's just most people think the people listed there, the insiders, have no principles in either party. It's just he is highlighting it for the Republicans.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2016, 09:52:08 PM »

The #NeverTrumps who won't fall in line or vote for Hillary wouldn't have voted for Rubio, Cruz or Kasich either. Trump has 1000 reasons to worry about the general, #Republicans4Hillary is not one of them.

I would.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies