Atlas Posters During the American Civil War
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:03:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Posters During the American Civil War
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Atlas Posters During the American Civil War  (Read 6176 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 19, 2016, 02:06:20 PM »

There aren't enough southerners in this thread to get many interesting opinions (alwaysbernie aside, whose opinions are very "interesting") since everyone from the North is obviously going to say they'd be a  Republican.

I'm pretty sure I would have been a supporter of popular sovereignty, making me a Douglas supporter. However, since he only ended up getting ~200 votes in Florida I might have gone for Bell as the moderate hero option. I'm not really sure what I would have done once the war got going. I'd probably get drafted and die of dysentery or something.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2016, 03:47:29 PM »

So what if Lincoln's primary goal was to preserve the Union? Secession is evil and the Confederates were all traitors who deserve nothing.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: May 21, 2016, 07:15:08 PM »

So what if Lincoln's primary goal was to preserve the Union? Secession is evil and the Confederates were all traitors who deserve nothing.

Why is secession, in principle (ignoring, for a moment, the greater political context of the secession I question), evil? More importantly, if your state and the vast majority of your family and friends seceded from the Union, surely, if you chose to fight for the Union, that would simply make you a traitor to your state and to those closest to you?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: May 21, 2016, 07:23:01 PM »

Why is secession, in principle (ignoring, for a moment, the greater political context of the secession I question), evil? More importantly, if your state and the vast majority of your family and friends seceded from the Union, surely, if you chose to fight for the Union, that would simply make you a traitor to your state and to those closest to you?

Loyalty to one's country outweights loyalty to one's subdivision.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2016, 07:25:10 PM »

Why is secession, in principle (ignoring, for a moment, the greater political context of the secession instead question), evil? More importantly, if your state and the vast majority of your family and friends seceded from the Union, surely, if you chose to fight for the Union, that would simply make you a traitor to your state and to those closest to you?

And to one's friends and family?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #130 on: May 21, 2016, 07:29:26 PM »

So I take it you would have opposed the American revolution?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »

I wouldn't make comparision between the American revolution and Southern states seceeding. America in 1776 was a colony. Southern states in 1860 were of diffrent category.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: May 21, 2016, 07:44:55 PM »

Why is secession, in principle (ignoring, for a moment, the greater political context of the secession instead question), evil? More importantly, if your state and the vast majority of your family and friends seceded from the Union, surely, if you chose to fight for the Union, that would simply make you a traitor to your state and to those closest to you?

And to one's friends and family?

Tough thing, I agree, but the history of American civil war (any civil war) is littered with splitted families.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2016, 09:13:22 PM »

There is no reason that secession it self is evil, the reason the confederates were seceding for however was evil. Scotland has the right to secede, so does Northen Ireland, as does Catalonia, and so do nation-states from imperialism, like India, Vietnam and the US. Secession though not a right, as that would have allowed the confederacy to secede, is not inherently evil, but should be allowed in most scenarios. Think of Hong Kong, Taiwan, Tibet, or Ukraine for Right-Wingers.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2016, 10:22:58 PM »

No because:
I wouldn't make comparision between the American revolution and Southern states seceeding. America in 1776 was a colony. Southern states in 1860 were of diffrent category.

I consider colonies/unincorporated territories and actual parts of countries different. For example, Puerto Rico should have the right to become an independent country. Texas should not.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #135 on: May 21, 2016, 10:25:36 PM »

No because:

I consider colonies/unincorporated territories and actual parts of countries different. For example, Puerto Rico should have the right to become an independent country. Texas should not.
What is the difference between a colony and a country? Should Poland not be forced to rejoin Germany because it was outright annexed? Secession, while not something to take lightly, is not inherently wrong.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2016, 03:53:50 AM »

I'll repeat what I said before: The goal of reincorporating the South into a country, any country, that wasn't explicitly and solely based on the principle of ownership of other human beings was itself a just reason to fight. There's no need to resort to morally ludicrous circumlocutions like 'secession is inherently evil' to explain why the war was justified even before the Union government became explicitly abolitionist.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2016, 05:24:31 PM »

That goal didn't exist.  The only thing keeping it together was mutual animosity toward the Republicans.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2016, 10:26:25 PM »

That goal didn't exist.  The only thing keeping it together was mutual animosity toward the Republicans.

By 'a country' I mean 'not the Confederacy'.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #139 on: May 22, 2016, 10:58:00 PM »

Given my partiality to northern liberal progressivism and general distaste for the southern United States, as well as ol' Abe hailing from my home state, it is fair to say I'd be a radical Lincoln Republican.

Not as inconsistent as RINO Tom likes to believe Wink
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #140 on: May 22, 2016, 11:06:36 PM »

Given my partiality to northern liberal progressivism and general distaste for the southern United States, as well as ol' Abe hailing from my home state, it is fair to say I'd be a radical Lincoln Republican.

Of course, being a radical Lincoln Republican is an oxymoron.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2016, 11:36:07 AM »

Take a guess...

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2016, 11:55:24 AM »

You know everyone can still see Ice Spear, right?
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2016, 01:33:32 PM »

You do know the reason why WV exists in the first place, right?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2016, 03:41:42 PM »

To provide your ungrateful Yankee ass with electricity, presumably. Show some respect.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2016, 07:25:14 PM »

Of course, being a radical Lincoln Republican is an oxymoron.

I would've favored reunification but would have supported Lincoln in 1860 and through the war
Mr. Jew
Roger Waters
Rookie

« Reply #146 on: June 26, 2016, 09:45:34 PM »

>thread about Altas Posters during the American Civil War
>90% of dudes posting in it claim they would totes be Union supporters
>extra round of self-congratulatory backpatting

LOL
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #147 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:09 PM »

>thread about Altas Posters during the American Civil War
>90% of dudes posting in it claim they would totes be Union supporters
>extra round of self-congratulatory backpatting

LOL

I kinda expected it when I started the thread. I think only four or five people, myself included admitted to being either Democrats or Confederates.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #148 on: June 26, 2016, 09:47:47 PM »

Yes. Sadly, this forum is a bit of an echo chamber at times.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #149 on: June 26, 2016, 09:50:54 PM »

I would have fought for Qing China against the Taiping rebellion.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies