The Purple Haired Witch has died.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:51:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Purple Haired Witch has died.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Purple Haired Witch has died.  (Read 1331 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2016, 08:59:44 PM »

RIP, HP.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »

I just looked her up.  Strange how such a sweet looking Grandma could do what she did. 
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 09:17:35 PM »

I just looked her up.  Strange how such a sweet looking Grandma could do what she did. 
She was actually one my favorite characters from the Eastern Bloc.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:31:19 PM »

I like her husband better, anyways RIP.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:29:20 AM »

How anyone in their right mind could like Erich Honecker of all people is far beyond me - even if one supposedly were a fan of the DDR and its business, why exactly Honecker, who is simply the most typically German, spießbürgerliche, boring, bland figure of power in most of history. That guy just has nothing - no charisma, not one bit of interesting-ness or likeability, not one trait of character that makes him remotely anything.

Anyway, it wasn't to early for ol' Margot either.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:21:47 AM »

Frankly, I'm shocked there's people in Chile defending Margot Honecker and her legacy...
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »

I always thought it was amusing/odd that they went to Chile. I'm fully aware this was after Pinochet but it wasn't like the immediate post-Pinochet government was especially left-wing. I'm surprised they were tolerated there. It also seems like it would harm the Communist Party electorally. Does anyone know how this played out on the domestic level in Chile?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 02:44:14 PM »

I always thought it was amusing/odd that they went to Chile. I'm fully aware this was after Pinochet but it wasn't like the immediate post-Pinochet government was especially left-wing. I'm surprised they were tolerated there. It also seems like it would harm the Communist Party electorally. Does anyone know how this played out on the domestic level in Chile?

The Honeckers' daughter, Sonja, married a Chilenean dissident having fled to the DDR in the 70ies, and she went back to Chile with him after the wall came down / Pinochet's dictatorship ended. Margot and Erich followed her sometime in the 90ies, but iirc he died pretty early on.
seb_pard
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 03:37:56 PM »

A significant number of chilean (including Bachelet) fled to East Germany after the coup and there they received a lot of support there, so you can imagine that many of them have a personal gratitude to the Honeckers. Personally I don't think anyone cares right here. Me and my family talk a lot about politics but no one bothered to talk about this.

This is the typical issue in Chile that the Communist party make a stupid statement honoring her and her husband but even them don't believe that crap and then El Mercurio (main chilean newspaper, very right wing) said "Look at the communists glorifying them", but actually, no one cares.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »

I thought Margaret Thatcher died 5 years ago

Never heard of this lady.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 11:46:09 AM »

How anyone in their right mind could like Erich Honecker of all people is far beyond me - even if one supposedly were a fan of the DDR and its business, why exactly Honecker, who is simply the most typically German, spießbürgerliche, boring, bland figure of power in most of history. That guy just has nothing - no charisma, not one bit of interesting-ness or likeability, not one trait of character that makes him remotely anything.

Which is why Atlas posters would like him.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 12:02:51 PM »

Which is why Atlas posters would like him.

Clinton-Honecker2016
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies