Relative size of Pub anti Trump cohorts - which will be larger?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:30:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Relative size of Pub anti Trump cohorts - which will be larger?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In numbers, will more of the Pubs who won't vote for Trump be moderate of conservative?
Moderate

Conservative

Close to equal in numbers

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Relative size of Pub anti Trump cohorts - which will be larger?  (Read 686 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2016, 12:43:33 PM »
« edited: May 07, 2016, 12:46:21 PM by Torie »

Presumably a greater percentage of moderate Pubs will vote for Hlllary rather than third party as compared to conservative Pubs, but that is not the question. Nor does the question involve the numbers of Pubs who usually vote who will not vote at all this time. The question is of those who vote, where will the greatest number of defections lie ideologically?

It is interesting that the anti Trumps are made up of two very distinct cohort of voters. I mean, what do I have in common with Randy Erickson (the rapid conservative Red State guy)? Not much. But neither of us is voting for Trump.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 12:45:30 PM »

Close to equal, more conservative if I had to guess, as Trump is a moderate (just not in the way we usually think of).
yankeesfan
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 12:46:54 PM »

Just as Trump's appeal in the GOP primary cut across the spectrum of moderate to very conservative, so too will the opposition to Trump.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:13:11 PM »

By far, the conservatives as they actually have legitimate gripes with him not destroying the safety net.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 04:31:52 PM »

Moderates already support Trump in huge numbers. Only some conservatives might defect.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 04:33:40 PM »

Moderates.

I think that most "true conservatives" who hate Donald Trump will eventually end up voting for him because of the Supreme Court and to stop Hillary Clinton.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 07:35:07 PM »

Moderates.

I think that most "true conservatives" who hate Donald Trump will eventually end up voting for him because of the Supreme Court and to stop Hillary Clinton.
Ok, so we know the damage Trumpcan do to the conservative movement by losing. A Supreme Court justice or two, maybe he drags enough Senators down to give Dems a majority, worst case scenario (which would really be bad) is Dems get a narrow House majority as well. Both majorities would be short-lived, but that's not the point. Obviously, in that scenario, conservatives lose a considerable amount of influence in the years to come. The Supreme Court majority is likely gone, and repealing Obamacare will be a pipe dream for quite some time.

That damage is significant, but nobody is talking about his much damage Trump would do to the conservative movement by winning the election. He would remake the Republican Party into his party, the same way Ronald Reagan did when he won and made the Republicans the conservative party they are today. Trump would remake the party from the conservative/classical liberal/constitutionalist party it is today (at least if you go by its platform) into one based on his priorities: an identity politics party with fascist tendencies driven by populism. How much influence will conservatives have then? Do you think that will result in a conservative majority on the Court, or in the Senate?

Conservatives can "play the long game" by voting Trump and hoping he will pick good Supreme Court justices (I'm not convinced), or we can play the really long game and realize that if a Republican who blatantly rejects nearly all of the conservative principles that make up our party platform, conservatives' voices in government will be reduced far more than they ever could have been reduced by Hillary Clinton.

I think someone on the conservative side with power and relatively little to lose (maybe Ben Sasse or Mike Lee) will eventually make this case, and if they do, conservatives and establishmentarians will go for a third-party alternative. I'm still not sure which will be bigger, but the assumption that conservatives will just fall in line behind a non-conservative nominee is premature at best.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 08:21:57 PM »

Which category are those who don't like Trump's stance against immigrants and also distrust that he cares about being pro-life and/or for small government?  Because that will describe a lot of these voters.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 01:13:03 AM »

I just hope an anti-Trump independent doesn't keep the Libertarian Party from getting to 5%. I mean, no one other than the Democrats or Republicans can win it in 2016, so why would you waste time, money, airtime, and, most importantly, votes on a temper-tantrum that you could instead put towards growing a real ideological movement.

Which category are those who don't like Trump's stance against immigrants and also distrust that he cares about being pro-life and/or for small government?  Because that will describe a lot of these voters.

Pro-life pseudo-libertarians and pro-immigrant conservatives/conservatarians. I guess I'd sort of be in this group, except not in the poll as I am not a Republican.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 01:38:42 AM »

Socially conservative Hispanics and Asians?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies