Conservatives against Trump launch formal effort for alternative candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:25:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Conservatives against Trump launch formal effort for alternative candidate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Conservatives against Trump launch formal effort for alternative candidate  (Read 891 times)
Fargobison

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2016, 05:15:54 PM »

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/729061896532336640
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »

Hehehe that spells Cat, and we all know how herding those turn out to be...
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »

Yeah, I figured they were serious.  I'm looking forward to see who they recruit, how much traction he or she will gain, and how Trump will react.
RR1997
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »

Lol.

Donald Trump shouldn't be scared. This third party candidate might get 1% of the votr at best.
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:33:22 PM »

Lol.

Donald Trump shouldn't be scared. This third party candidate might get 1% of the votr at best.

Not if they invest 200 million dollars into that candidate and he or she gets backing from state and local leaders.  I think 3-5% is totally realistic.
Fargobison

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 05:38:31 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2016, 05:58:50 PM by Fargobison »

Lol.

It all depends on who the candidate is. There is no shortage of people not happy with options on the right and there are people who have sizable followings that could take up the cause promoting the alternative candidate.

Looks like Donald has decided to help their effort....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/729073029611982848
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 06:07:10 PM »

This actually worries me.  Squished between boring establishment candidates on both sides is exactly where Trump wants to be.  If the 3rd party turns into a standard 2-5% of the PV affair, it will only help Clinton, but if it's a serious traditional R candidate like Romney who gets Perot 96 or even Perot 92 numbers, it frees Trump up to run as the champion of the neglected center.  Being free to enter into an open coalition with labor Dems and needing only low 40's nationally to win could be the best thing that ever happened to him. 

Maybe I'll end up eating these words, but I really don't believe that approach will work.

I think too many of the people he'd need from left of center have been irretrievably alienated by his primary campaign. There's just too much stuff he's already said and done for him to be able to walk it back credibly. What Trump needs is a credible challenge to Hillary from the left.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »

Great news! I'm hoping they don't turn out to be Americans Elect 2.0.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 06:50:51 PM »

I support anything that accelerates the demise of that horrible political party.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »

What Trump needs is a credible challenge to Hillary from the left.

And thank God that isn't happening.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »

This actually worries me.  Squished between boring establishment candidates on both sides is exactly where Trump wants to be.  If the 3rd party turns into a standard 2-5% of the PV affair, it will only help Clinton, but if it's a serious traditional R candidate like Romney who gets Perot 96 or even Perot 92 numbers, it frees Trump up to run as the champion of the neglected center.  Being free to enter into an open coalition with labor Dems and needing only low 40's nationally to win could be the best thing that ever happened to him. 

Maybe I'll end up eating these words, but I really don't believe that approach will work.

I think too many of the people he'd need from left of center have been irretrievably alienated by his primary campaign. There's just too much stuff he's already said and done for him to be able to walk it back credibly. What Trump needs is a credible challenge to Hillary from the left.

I agree with this. I don't see any way the guy who was the face of the birther movement is going to make inroads among Democrats that would be enough to offset a third-party conservative taking 10-15% of the vote, at least so long as President Obama remains as popular among Democrats as he currently is.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 01:27:52 AM »

"This is a high stakes game your playing, and you're all in, Walter"

If you take movement conservatism outside of the GOP, it will never again have any influence on selecting the nominees. The next nominee will be a nationalist, a less controversial nationalist, but still a nationalist. It may be hard for people raised into the historical narratives peddled by neoliberalism and movement conservativism to understand, but they do not have a monpoly on conservatism. They were originally guests brought in to fight a common enemy,  they are not the root form. Trump is right to say it is the Republican Party, but he is wrong not to fight for the term conservative. He did so rather well in one of the debates, where he basically redefined conservatives to something approximating its more traditional definition.

Even Peggy Noonan is saying the day of neoconservative, open-borders entitlement cutters is probably over as far as the GOP is concerned.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 01:32:30 AM »

Lol.

It all depends on who the candidate is. There is no shortage of people not happy with options on the right and there are people who have sizable followings that could take up the cause promoting the alternative candidate.

Correct answers.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies