Do you smoke cigarettes?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:46:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you smoke cigarettes?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Do you smoke cigarettes?
Yes

No

Only when I drink

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Do you smoke cigarettes?  (Read 3381 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2016, 02:06:30 AM »

Nope. I smoked one when I was like 13, it was disgusting so I never did again. To the smokers, what made you keep doing it even though it was initially gross? Or did you enjoy it immediately?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 04:18:51 AM »

If anything, smoking can make one's social life more difficult, when you have to constantly leave your company for a puff in places, where there are anti-smoking rules.

What the fyck does it have to do with this?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 06:46:40 AM »

Yes. I'm not sure why people are suggesting the regular five-minute breaks from doing anything as a negative. It's like briefly meditating, but richer and smoother.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2016, 08:00:07 AM »

If anything, smoking can make one's social life more difficult, when you have to constantly leave your company for a puff in places, where there are anti-smoking rules.

Liberals hate tobacco.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2016, 08:08:24 AM »

No.

A comment that has to be made nevertheless is that it strikes me that the negatives wrt smoking are the cancer, the emphysema and so on, rather than having to leave your office (not everyone even works in an office) ever so often, and that if you think of the latter as the main drawback then you really need to sort out your priorities...
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 08:14:20 AM »

I don't smoke cigarettes. But I do smoke cigars and a small corncob pipe I have.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 08:46:51 AM »

I've tried it but it was vile disgusting sh*t, have done a packet. I've drunken alcohol from time to time, same disgusting sh**t,champagne or wine is fine but beer yuck, don't have any alcohol anyways. Weed is alright, and got high then felt horrible, so not doing that sh*t again. All you people's hate for cigarets, is my same hate to drunkards and weed smokers, not them personally but what they smoke and a society that is accepting of that fact.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 08:49:29 AM »

No, I never smoked anything. Once a cigar, but just for fun (and not really smoking).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 08:55:11 AM »

I don't smoke cigarettes. But I do smoke cigars and a small corncob pipe I have.

Makes sense. That way you die of a classier form of lung cancer.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 10:04:47 AM »

Nope. Never will. Would vote to ban it.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:44 AM »

Nope. I smoked one when I was like 13, it was disgusting so I never did again. To the smokers, what made you keep doing it even though it was initially gross? Or did you enjoy it immediately?
Your first beer probably tasted bad too, if you had it at that age. The taste of cigarettes improves significantly if you try it as an adult vs as a child.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »

Makes sense. That way you die of a classier form of lung cancer.

I've been hearing a lot that smoking a pipe is likely to give you a lung cancer (but more likely to give you a tongua cancer). I'm not an expect, though.

I used to smoke a pipe for purely financial reasons: it was cheaper than buying cigarettes.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2016, 10:44:35 AM »

Liberals hate tobacco.

What is this I don't even...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2016, 11:09:15 AM »

Your first beer probably tasted bad too, if you had it at that age. The taste of cigarettes improves significantly if you try it as an adult vs as a child.

What is happening in this thread right now.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 11:11:25 AM »

I've been hearing a lot that smoking a pipe is likely to give you a lung cancer (but more likely to give you a tongua cancer). I'm not an expect, though.

I used to smoke a pipe for purely financial reasons: it was cheaper than buying cigarettes.

And also oesophageal cancer.

The 'safest' way to consume tobacco - in a trad. way at least - is snuff, incidentally.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 11:16:46 AM »

Christ, people, stop talking nonsense about "taste". It's not about "taste" (or, at the very best, taste is secondary), it's purely about getting nicotine into your system.

The 'safest' way to consume tobacco - in a trad. way at least - is snuff, incidentally.

I was considering this, but forgot until you've mentioned that.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »

Liberals hate tobacco.

It's funny though as I noted in the first post I've met more liberal and left-leaning smokers then conservative ones. I don't think that's really accurate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2016, 12:27:55 PM »

Here in the US, there are now web ads going around talking about how dipping tobacco can cause oral cancer.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2016, 12:28:16 PM »

No, I don't smoke in any form.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2016, 12:41:25 PM »

Liberals hate tobacco.

It's funny though as I noted in the first post I've met more liberal and left-leaning smokers then conservative ones. I don't think that's really accurate.

BRTD yet again fails to understand not everything is a political issue.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

Liberals hate tobacco.

BRTD yet again fails to understand not everything is a political issue.

ALL LIBERAL ALL THE TIME

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:11 PM »

I smoked through law school, but I don't intend to buy cigarettes anymore unless I'm going to the art museum to drink. I never actually enjoyed it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »

I give a bit of a pass to people who are older than 30 or 40. But anyone who is in their 20s or younger, I just want to punch the stupidity out of them for trying. There is absolutely zero none nada no reason to start smoking in the United States today. Everyone knows better now, and should realize that they look like idiots. When I see the 4-5 of my law school classmates come in late to class (because they were smoking) and then bolt outside right as class ends to light up, I just want to walk up and slap the damn thing out of their hands. You smell awful and if the world is a right place then it shouldn't look good in a professional environment anymore.

I also hate when people say they "only smoke when [they] drink." Guess what, if you do that regularly, its going to turn in to a regular addiction, and the tobacco industry made you their b****.

Now, I have smoke cigars a handful of times (not in a few years). I did notice that in the days after each one, I got a little twitchy for another one. So I know how easily addiction starts. I will probably smoke a couple cigars at some point in my life (children born; Cubs win the World Series), but its going to happen very rarely, and I will always vehemently oppose any cigarette smoking.
You know, instead of slapping them, you could mind your own business, you know Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2016, 05:52:36 PM »

No, and it will forever be a mystery to me why people even start.

Smoking is an incredibly useful social/political activity.

Explain.
At work, all the smokers usually get to know each other from huddling outside in the freezing cold to feed their addiction. 5 minutes to smoke a cigarette 2-3 times a day adds up over time, and it's a great time to socialize or play office politics. One time, I actually ended up doing a bit of consulting work for a guy I met in the smoking room of the ANA lounge at Narita airport.

One thing I really enjoyed about smoking was the "community" aspect, as sad as that is. At fraternity conferences, it was fun to step outside between seminars/workshops to burn one and talk to fifty other guys from different parts of the country. At parties, whilst a bit turnt, bumming or sharing smokes is a great opportunity to get to know people.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2016, 07:54:20 PM »

No.

A comment that has to be made nevertheless is that it strikes me that the negatives wrt smoking are the cancer, the emphysema and so on, rather than having to leave your office (not everyone even works in an office) ever so often, and that if you think of the latter as the main drawback then you really need to sort out your priorities...

This forum community skews heavily towards the much younger generation, as you know.  The possibility of developing a horrific illness is something only old people have to worry about, you see.  The opportunity to slack off work for a few minutes every hour or so has far more appeal to millennials.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies