What party would this hypothetical person belong to?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:44:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What party would this hypothetical person belong to?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ?
Democratic

Republican

Other

Bonus Question: Opinion of this person's political views?

Freedom political views

Horrible political views

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What party would this hypothetical person belong to?  (Read 1453 times)
RR1997
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2016, 04:08:37 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2016, 09:41:58 PM by RR1997 »

This hypothetical person is me btw. I apologize for making a thread about myself, but I don't know what political party I belong to. My views are all over the place.

Social Policy:
Abortion: Pro-choice. I support the right to choose. Abortion should be safe, legal, and rare.

Gay Marriage: Strongly support.

Drugs: Legalize marijuana, but all other currently illegal drugs should be kept illegal.

Stem Cell Research: Strongly support.

Death Penalty: Support, but it should be used rarely.

Gun control: Support. I used to be against gun control, but I've moved to the left on this issue. There are no reasonable arguments against gun control. Social conservatives have this weird misconception that gun control=making guns illegal. That is obviously not true. I support background and mental health checks. I believe that you should have the right to purchase a gun as long as you aren't a criminal and/or mentally ill. I believe that you should have the right to purchase a gun to protect you and your family as long as you aren't a criminal and/or mentally ill. Further gun control measures will help keep guns away from criminals. Guns should be legal but heavily regulated (since they kill).

Affirmative Action: I strongly oppose race-based AA. Race-based AA is unfair to white-Americans and especially Asian-Americans like me. I support income-based AA though.

Immigration: I support immigration reform. I support Path to Citizenship. Immigrants help the economy. We shouldn't deport all illegals. We shouldn't build a wall. H1-B visas are a great thing.

Overall, I'm socially liberal. I'm not socially libertarian though (since I support further gun control measures).

Economic Issues:

Minimum Wage: Raise it to around $10 per hour.

Regulation: Deregulation helps businesses and the economy.

Welfare: I support welfare reform and welfare-to-work. I am pretty anti-welfare.

Right-to-Work: I support Right-to-Work.

Taxation: I'm pretty much a generic Republican on taxes. I believe that tax cuts help stimulate the economy. We should cut taxes for everyone in order to spur economic growth.  

Healthcare: I support Obamacare, but I strongly oppose single-payer universal health care.

Social Security: Don't touch Social Security. We shouldn't expand or cut SS. Although I wouldn't mind raising the retirement age.

Trade: Free trade is great. I strongly support NAFTA, TPP, etc. Globalization is a great thing. Tariffs are a terrible idea. Free trade helps more than it hurts. I believe in progress. Free trade has done so much to help shrink the wealth gap globally. Free trade lowers prices. Free trade creates more jobs than it kills.

Education: I strongly support school vouchers. We should also increase funding towards education.

Balanced Budget Amendment: I support a Balanced Budget Amendment

Tort reform: I support tort reform in order to stop frivolous lawsuits.

Overall, I consider myself to be center-right on economic issues.

Foreign Policy and National Security

I consider myself to be a center-right on foreign policy issues overall. I would consider myself to be a neoconservative.

Other
Climate Change: Climate change is real.
Evolution: Evolution is absolutely real. It should be taught in schools.
Green Energy: Invest in alternate energy. It's good for the environment and helps creates jobs.

What party do I belong to?

FPV
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 04:20:05 PM »

You sound like an average Pacific Northwest Democrat
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 04:25:38 PM »

a terrible one
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »

I consider myself to be a center-right on foreign policy issues overall. I would consider myself to be a neoconservative.

Serious question: would anybody outside of Atlas and Downtown DC ever actually say this, especially in 2016?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »

You should "belong" to whatever party you want to, and it shouldn't be decided by some lame list of your tallied up views.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 04:58:36 PM »

Serious question: would anybody outside of Atlas and Downtown DC ever actually say this, especially in 2016?

My father does.

I voted Republican, though you'd probably be a Liberal Democrat or pretty liberal-leaning Conservative if you lived in the U. K.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

Well, people are saying I should become a Democrat, and I'm to right of you on the death penalty, gun control, and the minimum wage. So, yeah. Tongue
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 05:12:38 PM »

You're basically a Democrat
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »

You're a suburbanite New Democrat who is in denial because you're young and being a Republican is cool. The sooner you admit it, the sooner you'll start coming around to basically moderate Democratic positions.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 05:15:44 PM »

You're a suburbanite New Democrat who is in denial because you're young and being a Republican is cool. The sooner you admit it, the sooner you'll start coming around to basically moderate Democratic positions.

It is? You must hang around different people from me. Tongue
RR1997
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2016, 05:16:26 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2016, 05:24:57 PM by RR1997 »

Well, people are saying I should become a Democrat, and I'm to right of you on the death penalty, gun control, and the minimum wage. So, yeah. Tongue

Maybe I should clarify my position on the death penalty. I used to be pro-death penalty. I just believe that life in prison is a much harsher sentence. Having a criminal spend the rest of his/her life in prison is much harsher than just quickly killing them. Spending life in prison is much more horrifying than the death penalty IMO.

Also on gun control, I strongly support the right to bear arms. I wouldn't necessarily consider myself to be a liberal on gun control. I just support background checks and mental health checks to make sure that guns stay away from criminals and the mentally-ill. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone should support basic background and mental health checks. That's just common sense. Law-abiding citizens who aren't mentally-ill should be allowed to purchase firearms. I would actually argue that being pro-gun control is a right-wing stance (since being pro-gun control is being tough on crime).

I don't know if I'm a Democrat. I feel like I'm a bit too right wing on economic issues to be a Democrat. Especially considering the fact that the Democratic Party has been moving to the far-left on economic issues for the past year.

Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »

FWIW, I also support background checks, but I still generally consider myself opposed to gun control becasue of my opposition to things like banning "assault weapons" and magazine size restrictions. I suppose our views on guns might actually be quite similar, just with a difference in emphasis.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2016, 05:52:02 PM »

I think you would find that Democrat voters are much more anti-tax than you think.  Out here especially working class Democrats tend to be very anti-tax, since the tax code is so regressive (most regressive in the nation, in fact) and they end up bearing the brunt of every tax hike. 
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »

You also support universal healthcare....
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2016, 06:19:55 PM »

... Is this a satire of attacks on you? They're pretty clearly the exact opposite of you. If not intentionally, you should consider taking the exact opposite of your own advice.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 06:22:53 PM »

You are truly delusional.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2016, 08:54:50 PM »

Pro-choice=terrible but most of it is.

I don't care about party anymore. Party membership needs to end.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2016, 09:07:22 PM »

Independent
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:19 PM »

Depends on what you care more about. I would describe you as a true Moderate.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 12:26:34 AM »

Independent at the federal level, Republican at the local level. Affirmative action as an organizing principle for pretty much all government (but especially local) is pretty much a litmus test for the left. But the bulk of positions about federal government/congress issues tilt Democrat.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 12:57:22 AM »

A fairly normal New England Republican.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 04:09:57 AM »

Probably the Democratic Party, you have a horrible ideology I detest, but since this is what the democratic party currently, you belong to the democrats, I'd rather you not be in the party though.
Classic Conservative
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 05:29:59 AM »

I'm the delusional one, at least I have the guts to leave my party after Trump the same party that my mothers side has been members of since the 1800's. And just don't say, that I identify as a Republican because so and so was in my family. And that isn't to insult your family but I am just sick of you every single day talk about how you are the true republicans and everyone else just came here and took over the party.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2016, 06:29:19 AM »

I'm the delusional one, at least I have the guts to leave my party after Trump the same party that my mothers side has been members of since the 1800's. And just don't say, that I identify as a Republican because so and so was in my family. And that isn't to insult your family but I am just sick of you every single day talk about how you are the true republicans and everyone else just came here and took over the party.

A republican in Massachusetts leaving after Cruz isn't nominated is pretty funny though. Concerning Cruz's vs Trump's vote in Mass.
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2016, 05:55:58 PM »

You sound like a normal Blue Dog Democrat to me.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies