WV party registration for primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:00:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  WV party registration for primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV party registration for primaries  (Read 637 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2016, 10:49:55 PM »

In WV, many counties that voted strongly for Romney are majority Democrat in voter registration, esp in the Southwest.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 11:20:25 PM »

oklahoma 2.0
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 11:40:51 PM »

What's with the (relatively) huge 'Other' share in Webster county?  Mountain Party?  (It was one of the seven counties Obama won in 2008, incidentally.)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 11:48:25 PM »

What's with the (relatively) huge 'Other' share in Webster county?  Mountain Party?  (It was one of the seven counties Obama won in 2008, incidentally.)

the WV SoS website only shows 6 people as Mountain Party, so I really don't know.  Maybe a quirk in the way the county does things that has some independents counted as "other"?
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 12:03:06 AM »

Remaining a registered Democrat in West Virginia is probably just for nostalgic, ancestral reasons (my daddy and granddaddy were Democrats and would kick me in my behind if I didn't vote Democrat). I think it's just symbolic: West Virginia Democrats are trying to send a message to the party that "we didn't leave you, you left us." I'd imagine the same can be said for Oklahoma.   
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:06:36 AM »

Dots are gradient shifts; the larger mark is a county flip (Hampshire).

Two-way model:

Somewhere (maybe Potus still has it in his inbox), I made a GIF of WV partisan registration by county going back to 2006 or so. Very little movement in terms of flips over that time - I think 3 or 4 counties, tops.

In the last 18 months, WV has lost 30,000 Democrats and added 21,000 Republicans.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:09:50 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2016, 12:17:12 AM by President Griffin »

Remaining a registered Democrat in West Virginia is probably just for nostalgic, ancestral reasons (my daddy and granddaddy were Democrats and would kick me in my behind if I didn't vote Democrat). I think it's just symbolic: West Virginia Democrats are trying to send a message to the party that "we didn't leave you, you left us." I'd imagine the same can be said for Oklahoma.  

It's because they have closed primaries* and this is who still controls local contests. As you can see by comparing this to the registration figures in the GIF I posted above, there are only two counties (Wirt and Roane) where the majority party by registration wasn't also the majority winner of county contests (and those are two of the closest counties in terms of D/R registration).

*I guess you can call it "mixed", but the point is that you can't register as a Republican and decide whether Bubba Johnson (D) or Bobby McGee (D) wins dog-catcher in the de-facto general election that is the Democratic primary

catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 01:43:26 AM »

That's gonna be weird, more Democrats voting in the WV primary than the Republican one. WV is becoming a relic of the 1990's in state and local elections.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies