As Xavier Becerra Stirs Crowds, Hispanic Democrats See a Running Mate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:57:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  As Xavier Becerra Stirs Crowds, Hispanic Democrats See a Running Mate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As Xavier Becerra Stirs Crowds, Hispanic Democrats See a Running Mate  (Read 932 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2016, 04:01:53 PM »
« edited: May 09, 2016, 04:03:57 PM by henster »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/us/politics/as-xavier-becerra-stirs-crowds-hispanic-democrats-see-a-running-mate.html?ref=politics&_r=0

24+ years in Congress, highest ranking Hispanic in Congress, solid progressive voting record I am wondering why he is such a long shot.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 04:04:48 PM »

Finally, people are talking about him! He would be a great choice IMO.
swf541

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »

Would be a great choice
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 04:08:39 PM »

He's a much better choice than Perez and especially Castro. But there's a decent chance he could be the House Minority Leader or Speaker at some point...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 04:09:10 PM »

He's a hell of a lot better looking than the Castro brothers' pinched little faces, that's for sure.  Which is all that matters, of course.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 04:17:57 PM »

He's a hell of a lot better looking than the Castro brothers' pinched little faces, that's for sure.  Which is all that matters, of course.

And Perez doesn't even look Hispanic and oddly Becerra looks younger than him even though he's 4 years older.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 04:21:24 PM »

He's a much better choice than Perez and especially Castro. But there's a decent chance he could be the House Minority Leader or Speaker at some point...

The only way that's happening prior to 2026 is if Trump wins and then there's a massive backlash in 2018 or 2022.  If Clinton wins in a blowout and flips the House, Pelosi will get the speakership back anyway.  So from his perspective, there is nothing to lose.  In the worst case scenario a loss to Trump anoints him as the young opposition leader going forward.

And if Pelosi retires then Hoyer is next in line, he's pretty old but he'd want the job for a few years since he's been waiting so long. After Hoyer  Becerra would likely be running against Joe Crowley for Minority/Speaker and that all could be 10 years down the road.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 04:28:43 PM »

Becerra would be a great pick. What would the Sanders fans think of him, though?
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 04:32:38 PM »

Becerra would be a great pick. What would the Sanders fans think of him, though?

Yes he did support Clinton in the primaries but he voted against TPP, the bailouts, Iraq, Glass-Steagall repeal etc. very solid progressive voting record.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »

Finally, people are talking about him! He would be a great choice IMO.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 04:39:13 PM »

It should be him or Kaine
JMT

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 04:45:58 PM »

Becerra would be a great choice!! I hadn't really thought of him as an option before, but I think he would be great. Progressive, experience in government, speaks fluent Spanish etc. I hope the Clinton campaign seriously considers him.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:31 PM »

Yes he did support Clinton in the primaries but he voted against TPP, the bailouts, Iraq, Glass-Steagall repeal etc. very solid progressive voting record.
I'm on board! Merkley or Warren would also be great, Kaine is decent.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 05:47:42 PM »

He's been my pick for a while. I met him last year in Iowa, and he was an excellent speaker that actually had something substantive to say.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 06:34:26 PM »

Yeah if there for some reason MUST be a Hispanic running mate he'd be a good pick. Way better than Castro.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 06:59:28 PM »

The only way that's happening prior to 2026 is if Trump wins and then there's a massive backlash in 2018 or 2022.  If Clinton wins in a blowout and flips the House, Pelosi will get the speakership back anyway.  So from his perspective, there is nothing to lose.  In the worst case scenario a loss to Trump anoints him as the young opposition leader going forward.

Or the Democrats could just make a concerted effort at winning state houses and/or increasing nonpartisan redistricting and then getting their base to turn out during midterms. It's only four years until 2020. Indeed, I'm inclined to believe that if they really tried, the Democrats would have a serious shot at taking back the House. Their poor performance downballot for the past six years cannot be explained by unpopularity alone...
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 09:15:12 PM »

The only way that's happening prior to 2026 is if Trump wins and then there's a massive backlash in 2018 or 2022.  If Clinton wins in a blowout and flips the House, Pelosi will get the speakership back anyway.  So from his perspective, there is nothing to lose.  In the worst case scenario a loss to Trump anoints him as the young opposition leader going forward.

Or the Democrats could just make a concerted effort at winning state houses and/or increasing nonpartisan redistricting and then getting their base to turn out during midterms. It's only four years until 2020. Indeed, I'm inclined to believe that if they really tried, the Democrats would have a serious shot at taking back the House. Their poor performance downballot for the past six years cannot be explained by unpopularity alone...

Being outspent is another issue.

Democrat spending (state seats):
https://www.opensecrets.org/527s/527cmtedetail.php?ein=521870839

GOP spending (state seats):
https://www.opensecrets.org/527s/527cmtedetail.php?ein=050532524

Not to include all the 3rd party spending. Democrats were getting outspent 2x, and at times, even 3x. They need to invest a lot more.

However, also at play here is the fact that the midterm electorate has shifted towards older, conservative Republican-leaning voters. Midterms were not always filled with older Republicans, but that is how it is now due to generational shifts. Democrats could mitigate damage but as it stands right now, they go into midterms at a pretty heavy disadvantage on multiple fronts. Even worse if they are the ones currently holding the White House.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 09:32:27 PM »

He's been my dark horse candidate for a while. I think that he'd be a superior pick compared to both Salazar and Perez, both politically and as a potential president. He's also superior to Castro, although Castro's youth could potentially increase Clinton's appeal among young voters.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 10:02:11 PM »

He's been my dark horse candidate for a while. I think that he'd be a superior pick compared to both Salazar and Perez, both politically and as a potential president. He's also superior to Castro, although Castro's youth could potentially increase Clinton's appeal among young voters.

The youth vote will not be swayed by a 41 year old candidate.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 11:36:21 PM »

The youth vote will not be swayed by a 41 year old candidate.

Yeah, they aren't looking for this sort of idiotic identity politics.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies