Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:23:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Is he a freedom fighter or a horrible person (read quote before answering)
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering)  (Read 4691 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2016, 11:06:40 PM »

I've never gone on Free Republic just as I've never been on Stormfront. It would be nice if you would actually attempt to defend your repugnant statements instead of pleading that you have the right to make them, but I suppose that would require a level of concern for other people that you obviously lack.

I'll let this speak for itself and let you twist yourself into knots attempting to defend what it means:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's a fair statement - parts of Paris and Brussels are real trouble.  Islam has a lot of issues associated with it, and it's fair to limit the percent of people who are Muslim in the country, and it's the right of a nation to do so.  If my belief is so radical that it makes me "like an ISIS member" or "radically hateful," then why is it that at least 40% of Americans believe it?  It's not saying that Muslims currently in the country are deported, it just means that we as a nation shouldn't let more of them in.

So you support a religious test for immigration?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »

I'd imagine you and I have different opinions about what constitutes "voter suppression" though.

Well, when it comes to voter suppression from the govt, I think this works: If they institute new regulations or purposefully sabotage/neglect the system with any belief that it will reduce voter participation from undesired voters. This can mean instituting photo id, or repealing same-day registration primarily for an advantage. Both actions have been seen quite a lot by Republicans in the past 4+ years.

There are legitimate reasons to believe in certain restrictions (felony disenfranchisement, for instance), but I would hope one has a good reason for it. If it is not necessary at all and makes voting more annoying or difficult, then it should be done better so it doesn't make things more difficult. Everyone should have a chance to participate as easily as reasonably possible.

I would certainly love it if America was run by a Democratic president and a liberal Democratic Congressional supermajority, but achieving that by using positions of power to manipulate elections / reduce voter participation is too corrupt and unfair Tongue

Fair enough.  If I were advocating a $1,000 poll tax, I'd agree that would be absolutely ridiculous.  The connection of voter IDs to poll taxes is probably the disagreement in terms of ease of voting.  I'm opposed to states like Alabama making it too hard to get a driver's license or ID card.  I certainly don't want to make it artificially difficult; it's just my opinion the barrier isn't too high.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2016, 11:07:40 PM »

Yeah, see, you keep trying to speak in abstractions because otherwise you have to actually confront the bile that you're spewing. You'd rather that I not be in this country because of my religion. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for you to admit that. If you're going to be a hateful bigot, you need to own it.
Derpist
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -2.96

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2016, 11:12:04 PM »

If my belief is so radical that it makes me "like an ISIS member" or "radically hateful," then why is it that at least 40% of Americans believe it?  It's not saying that Muslims currently in the country are deported, it just means that we as a nation shouldn't let more of them in.

40%?

RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2016, 11:13:33 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 11:18:04 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Yeah, see, you keep trying to speak in abstractions because otherwise you have to actually confront the bile that you're spewing. You'd rather that I not be in this country because of my religion. I'm not sure why it's so difficult for you to admit that. If you're going to be a hateful bigot, you need to own it.

Islam is a religion - it's a religious system (radicalized by Wahabis, but with violent roots throughout history).  It's not a race, and opposing it does not make one a bigot, nor does it make one a bigot to support the prevention of the rise of that system. 

I don't want to live in a country where "Sharia Now" is a major political party, as it is in Brussels.  

Here's my question:  if you hate people who think like me so viscerally, why are you in the United States?  You do know that at least 1 in 3 people around you in your nation is a Trump supporter...it may be lower in your location, but if you spew so many nasty words toward me, then I don't know what to say.

As far as "you living in my country" goes, you're confusing support for more immigration of a group with believing that all members of a group should be kicked out.  Surely you have deires about what immigration levels should be in the United States, and you quite frequently speak negatively of "white America" and the like.  So my mere statement of a preference is now complete bigotry when posters like d12321 say they flat out "hate white people."  Double standards galore, as is typical with the left.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »

Why exactly are you in America? This is my country.

I hope that someday perhaps you can find Jesus, seeing as that everything you say is utterly devoid of love for your fellow man. I'll pray for you.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2016, 11:19:24 PM »

Why exactly are you in America? This is my country.

I hope that someday perhaps you can find Jesus, seeing as that everything you say is utterly devoid of love for your fellow man. I'll pray for you.

I'm not against you being in America,, for the last time.  Yes, this is our country, and we all have opinions about issues.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2016, 11:20:48 PM »

RFayette, would you ask a black person in the 1920s what they were doing in America?  Blacks probably did not appreciate that many Americans were racist against them.  Hating the bigotry that many Americans hold does not equate to hating America.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:01 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 11:26:44 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

RFayette, would you ask a black person in the 1920s what they were doing in America?  Blacks probably did not appreciate that many Americans were racist against them.  Hating the bigotry that many Americans hold does not equate to hating America.

Institutional racism based on an immutable characteristic is a whole lot different than simple opposition to a belief system and a certain immigration policy.  All I'm saying is that Xahar says lots of nasty things about "white America" and how racist a huge chunk of the country is.  There are no signs in restaurants that say "No Muslims Allowed," nor are there discrimination with respect to jobs, housing, etc. to those of a specific faith.  

Also, Muslims don't have to stay Muslim.  Blacks don't really have that option, unless they're err...Michael Jackson.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2016, 11:25:19 PM »

Here's my question:  if you hate people who think like me so viscerally, why are you in the United States?  You do know that at least 1 in 3 people around you in your nation is a Trump supporter...it may be lower in your location, but if you spew so many nasty words toward me, then I don't know what to say.

Generations of people before us worked to create a society that reached a high standard of living. Some people want in. What fascinates me is why the powers that be push the narrative that groups, such as foreign Muslims, are entitled to a place to this society, especially when so many time-after-time refuse to integrate into that society, dragging it down. When they don't do so, people are more welcoming. After all, few people in Germany complains about the Vietnamese immigrants. Few people in France complains about the Sicilian immigrants. Few people in America complains about the Christian Arab immigrants.

I think we have a fundamental ideological divide in what society and nation mean to people. To some of us, society is something passed down from us - and although adding outsiders can and has enriched that inheritance before, people are not inherently entitled to a place because of white guilt, especially when they do not enrich that society. Others have a very different conception.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:56 PM »

You know RFayette, just becasue something is a "right" for nations to do doesn't necessarily mean it's a good policy to pursue, and just talking about how many people agree with your view is not actually making an argument in favor of them.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2016, 11:32:28 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

You know RFayette, just becasue something is a "right" for nations to do doesn't necessarily mean it's a good policy to pursue, and just talking about how many people agree with your view is not actually making an argument in favor of them.

True, but being called a "hateful bigot" for holding those views isn't exactly going to improve my views of them.  Unless you believe that it's inherently immoral for a country to set its own immigration laws, there's no reason to call someone a "hateful bigot" for wanting a certain set of policy parameters with respect to who comes in the country.

As far as reasons for holding the opinion I do on the subject, look at Derpist's post. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyotLRHMOIk
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2016, 11:33:09 PM »

I don't want you or anyone like you to think positively of me, and in fact I would have to reevaluate myself if your ilk did, seeing as that you've already established that you think I'm a "primitive wacko". My posts are merely a public service announcement for other members of this community.
Derpist
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2016, 11:40:09 PM »

I don't want you or anyone like you to think positively of me, and in fact I would have to reevaluate myself if your ilk did, seeing as that you've already established that you think I'm a "primitive wacko". My posts are merely a public service announcement for other members of this community.

Oh yeah, screw those racist bigoted white Americans. More enlightened, liberal-minded people would be different!

No, the popularity of an opinion does not mean it is right. When a group however fails to integrate pretty much everywhere it goes, you start running out of different ways to explain how everyone is racist/bigoted/hateful.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2016, 11:43:55 PM »

Oh yeah, screw those racist bigoted white Americans. More enlightened, liberal-minded people would be different!

No, the popularity of an opinion does not mean it is right. When a group however fails to integrate pretty much everywhere it goes, you start running out of different ways to explain how everyone is racist/bigoted/hateful.

Not to mention the fact that someone who professes the faith of Islam is really throwing stones at glass houses if they are calling other views bigoted.  Considering the fact that more women than men are in hell and that the testimony of two women equals one man is hardly some paragon of tolerance.
Asian Nazi
d32123
China

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:35 PM »

There are ways to disapprove of Islam without being a racist ass and telling a Muslim that he should be banned from the country.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:19 PM »

rfayette, you know whites aren't human, right?
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2016, 11:47:06 PM »

There are ways to disapprove of Islam without being a racist ass and telling a Muslim that he should be banned from the country.

1. Islam is not a race.
2. Xahar lives in the USA already, so I'm not saying he should be banned from the country.
3.  Wanting to control immigration levels of those of a certain belief system isn't "racist."  It's just looking at what's happened to parts of Germany, Belgium, and France, and responding accordingly.  Sharia Now is a major political party in Brussels.  I don't want that to happen in America.  Nothing racist about that.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2016, 11:54:09 PM »

Also, here's a bit of food-for-thought from Google Dictionary, on the definition of a bigot:

Just leaving it out there.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:38 AM »

So you are saying that both you and Xahar are bigots? Wink
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 12:01:50 AM »
« Edited: May 11, 2016, 12:04:01 AM by Хahar »

Also, here's a bit of food-for-thought from Google Dictionary, on the definition of a bigot:

Oh, man, this is just like when Scott proved that I was the real racist. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2016, 12:11:31 AM »

Oh, man, this is just like when Scott proved that I was the real racist.
You're not a racist. Just an arrogant douche with a superiority complex who should go and fuck himself with a rusty spoon.

I think Xahar is a fine person though, just misguided and hostile toward who he perceives as enemies.  He is probably nice IRL.  There's a reason we don't talk politics IRL for the most part  - it makes us all angry and ginned up.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2016, 12:14:19 AM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2016, 12:38:32 AM »

First, the context of the quote is in that many folks here (who happen to be Democrats) have gotten extremely giddy over favorable demographic trends for Democrats, such as the re-enfranchisement of felons, post-1965 immigration laws, etc.    It was also in response to absolute fawning over President Obama, which gets under my skin.  When people start treating the man like he's some kind of demigod, it definitely provokes me into saying things I otherwise would not. Many even suggested ideas like bringing all the Syrian refugees to swing states, "maintaining population balance" by deporting white males for every immigrant let in, etc. I was going the other way with it and see what the reaction would be.  No one believes in a truly universal franchise (no one thinks death row inmates or 5-year-olds should vote), I was just floating the idea that maybe some more restrictions on voting isn't such a bad idea.

That being said, a poll tax is unconstitutional and would obviously never happen, and I know this. Tongue  Was it trolling?  Partially.  The goal was definitely to get a rise out of people, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to see a more R-friendly electorate.  That would be an, err, extreme way to do it.  I suppose if someone thinks a voter ID equals a poll tax, then I suppose it would be a $25 poll tax or something.  I would never back a $1000 poll tax or something that would be too large of an expense though....that would be insane.

Yeah, it's almost like you couldn't click on the link with the quote to actually find out your context.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2016, 12:50:42 AM »

1. Islam is not a race.
2. Xahar lives in the USA already, so I'm not saying he should be banned from the country.
3.  Wanting to control immigration levels of those of a certain belief system isn't "racist."  It's just looking at what's happened to parts of Germany, Belgium, and France, and responding accordingly.  Sharia Now is a major political party in Brussels.  I don't want that to happen in America.  Nothing racist about that.

"Major" = 2% of the vote in Brussels? (Assuming you're talking about the ISlam Party, not 'shariah now').

And yes, Islam is not a race. Neither are Catholics, but we recognise in retrospect that the panic about subversive papists was racist blather.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies