Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:53:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is he a freedom fighter or a horrible person (read quote before answering)
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Opinion of Rfayette (read quote before answering)  (Read 4735 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: May 10, 2016, 04:08:41 PM »

Despite my furious posts towards him, I still like him as a person. However, this is also predicated on the idea that he will come to his senses on this. Supporting voter suppression is undemocratic, indecent and an abomination to any society that prides itself on the idea of freedom.

Not voting for now.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:32:32 PM »

His posts in the thread that quote is from never indicated that, and he never assured people he was trolling after the blowback began. At this point, if he said he was trolling, I personally would not believe it.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:03:56 PM »

I'd imagine you and I have different opinions about what constitutes "voter suppression" though.

Well, when it comes to voter suppression from the govt, I think this works: If they institute new regulations or purposefully sabotage/neglect the system with any belief that it will reduce voter participation from undesired voters. This can mean instituting photo id, or repealing same-day registration primarily for an advantage. Both actions have been seen quite a lot by Republicans in the past 4+ years.

There are legitimate reasons to believe in certain restrictions (felony disenfranchisement, for instance), but I would hope one has a good reason for it. If it is not necessary at all and makes voting more annoying or difficult, then it should be done better so it doesn't make things more difficult. Everyone should have a chance to participate as easily as reasonably possible.

I would certainly love it if America was run by a Democratic president and a liberal Democratic Congressional supermajority, but achieving that by using positions of power to manipulate elections / reduce voter participation is too corrupt and unfair Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »

Not, it clearly can't. The Democratic Party, as flawed as it is, is not the choice of Stormfronters who want to appear respectable.

To be fair, bigoted voters have to go somewhere. It wasn't that long ago that the Democratic party used to be chalk full of them. At some point in the future, a new generation of assholes could, and probably will, manifest within the Democratic party just the same.

However, I think it is undeniable that right now, Republicans have overwhelmingly taken over the #1 spot for 'party with most assholes / bigots', a spot previously occupied by Democrats only decade(s) ago.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 12:21:29 PM by Virginia »

Massive FF. I wish he still held fundamentalist views, but I still like him a lot.

There is nothing wrong with his desire to ban Muslim immigration. Muslim immigrants in Europe generally show nothing but contempt for their host countries (and their laws, for that matter). Also, it is completely hypocritical of Muslims to complain about the West supposedly being ''racist'' and ''Islamophobic'' towards them, given how poorly they treat non-Muslims in countries where they make up a majority. Generally speaking, non-Muslims in mostly Muslim countries face way more hostility than Muslims in the West do.

Muslims have a long history of trying to destroy Western civilization. They tried to take over Europe numerous times (and it can be argued that they're still trying to). Muslim invasions of Europe actually outnumber Crusader invasions of Muslim territory throughout history. There was even a time when North African Muslims took Europeans as slaves. When you look at these things combined with how a lot of them act when visiting Western countries today, it's not hard to understand why some people in the West might not want Muslim immigration.

Leave history out of this. Western civilizations have no high ground in that regard.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies