The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:22:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39275 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 10:59:32 AM »

Polarisation between right and left is signficantly lower than in OTL Weimar Republic, as all parties but the KPD and some minor right-wing lunatics are in favour of the status quo, as is 90% of the public and the imperial family. Militarisation is lower than Kaiserreich / Prussian-levels, but still quite high for a democratic country. There is a sort of "Germany is a great power" feeling, seeing as Germany is a centre of democracy and economic development.

Not at all, that is precisely what I was aiming for!

Chances are I'll make some adjustments to political parties and Reichstag numbers, but most of the scenario is gladly approved.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »

OK. OK. This is definitely madness but how bad can it be? If it turns out I've over-committed I hope I can recede from this plan without undue chaos.

Well, if you think time may be an issue, then I'd say a smaller country would be a good idea in your case. And I'm not going to lie, I am growing fond of the madness you have suggested, xD

That said, Crimea is now an Ottoman Protectorate under Tatar control, so I'm not sure it's the best place for Yusupov. I could recommend some place in the Caucasus, Siberia, or Vladivostok, or if you really want Crimea either arrange it with Kalwejt or take Sebastopol, the single city of the area under Russian administration.

Oh, ok, I was just looking up where Yusupov had hung out and had estates. The main thing is I'd like a cool dodgy decadent domain, possibly with some Czech Legionnaires hanging about. Possibly the Caspian coast? Yusupov was big in Petersburg and Moscow (which I think are a bit ambitious for me!), Kursk, Poltava, and Voronezh, if any of that helps. I just want to dig down in somewhere nice and watch Mother Russia burn while I fiddle...
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:17 AM »

Honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it well because I don't know enough about the major players and possibilities of the era, but I'd like to give Japan a try. I'll start research for possibilities soon.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 12:06:25 PM »

Alright, great. As I said, go on and change whatever you want to change, Lumine.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »

This looks really interesting but I'm a bit apprehensive as i know little of Europe's history aside from major events... Also I don't have a good grasp on politics so that makes it worse lol
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »

Hmm... A great power. I'm willing to play the Ottomans if Kalwejt won't, but otherwise I guess I'll take Japan or China, whichever you prefer me to play.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2016, 05:44:59 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 05:52:45 PM by Justice windjammer »

Could I play France please?

EDIT: damnit, I didnt notice Spamage's post, although he hasnt explicitly sait he was going to take France  he was just hypothetical.
Well, just to say I have studied a lot about this era in France and I would have many ideas but this is your call Lumine, and Spamage.

Mauldania
Rookie
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »

Looks like all the major players have been picked. Let's play!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 09:02:05 PM »

Oh, ok, I was just looking up where Yusupov had hung out and had estates. The main thing is I'd like a cool dodgy decadent domain, possibly with some Czech Legionnaires hanging about. Possibly the Caspian coast? Yusupov was big in Petersburg and Moscow (which I think are a bit ambitious for me!), Kursk, Poltava, and Voronezh, if any of that helps. I just want to dig down in somewhere nice and watch Mother Russia burn while I fiddle...

All good options, really. As soon as Blair settles on the nature of his Russian Provisional Government, I'll give you a clear option for Yusupov to reign (with a Czech legion, of course).

Honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it well because I don't know enough about the major players and possibilities of the era, but I'd like to give Japan a try. I'll start research for possibilities soon.

Good to hear, welcome aboard!

This looks really interesting but I'm a bit apprehensive as i know little of Europe's history aside from major events... Also I don't have a good grasp on politics so that makes it worse lol

Well, remember that this is an alternate world, our history went by the window in the larger aspects (a good part of the game is seeing prominent people on different roles, or people that didn't get far in our world rise to power). I hope you'll decide to join at some point!

Hmm... A great power. I'm willing to play the Ottomans if Kalwejt won't, but otherwise I guess I'll take Japan or China, whichever you prefer me to play.

As the Ottomans is still reserved (I'll message Kalwejt), I would indeed recommend another one. China sounds great to me, really! You just need to settle on what type of government you'd like for China.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 09:05:19 PM »

EDIT: damnit, I didnt notice Spamage's post, although he hasnt explicitly sait he was going to take France  he was just hypothetical.
Well, just to say I have studied a lot about this era in France and I would have many ideas but this is your call Lumine, and Spamage.

Sorry, Windjammer, but I would indeed consider it as a claim (unless Spamage retracts, I take is having chosen France). You're welcome to choose a different country that you'd like, of course!

Looks like all the major players have been picked. Let's play!

Indeed, but we need to settle on the leaders and the ideologies for the countries first. I know this takes time, but I'm putting a provisional date of Sunday 15th for people to either sign up and or choose the details I left open to the player (alternatively you can have me choose those details, but I thought the players would prefer choosing).

From there on, I make the backstory (simple, so we don't go overboard with detail), and the game can start next week (the earlier people send me the details I left open to choose from, the earlier we can play).
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2016, 10:26:55 PM »

Sorry, Windjammer, but I would indeed consider it as a claim (unless Spamage retracts, I take is having chosen France). You're welcome to choose a different country that you'd like, of course!

If have no problem with Windjammer taking France, seeing as he's interested in the period. In that case would it be possible for me to play as China? If so what information would I have to submit?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2016, 10:34:11 PM »

If have no problem with Windjammer taking France, seeing as he's interested in the period. In that case would it be possible for me to play as China? If so what information would I have to submit?

Yes, it's still not formally claimed (although Kingpoleon suggested China first, he has first rights over that one). China could potentially be broken into two states if both players want it. You would have to choose a government system, ideology and leader (monarchist China, Republican China in different flavors, dictatorship, warlord, a revolutionary state, etc).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2016, 10:38:55 PM »

Update: I have what I need for the USA and for Germany. Will need the input on Russia, Italy, UK, France, Japan (so I can settle on the context for the Yusupov state). I sent a message to Kalwejt to claim the Ottomans if he wants as well. China remains a possible contention point between Spamage and Kingpoleon, but it can be split in two Chinas or more a player to another country.

We have enough players to go on, so the Sunday deadline stands.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2016, 12:42:47 AM »

I will move to Japan.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2016, 04:41:36 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 04:50:20 AM by Alan Beresford B'stard, MP »

Signing in for the Ottoman Empire! XD

I'd go as Enver Pasha.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:09 AM »

Thinking about post-Austria-Hungary, I think one thing would be interesting: either two loosely federal states or two camps fighting for leading position in the region.

Also, I think Galicia would probably join the Kingdom of Poland with Austria collapsing. Germans would probably allow this, so Poles wouldn't be bothering them about their part, lol.

As of Crimea, I'm obviously reluctant to surrender this, but I'm open for challenges.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »

And, after doing recently some reading on the Romanovs and Rasputin, I love the idea of "Yusupov state" XD
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2016, 07:32:34 AM »

The Yusopov I envisage would DEFINITELY be up for playing all sides and being some kind of loose Turkish vassal in the Crimea, if that appeals...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 08:06:03 AM by Alan Beresford B'stard, MP »

The Yusopov I envisage would DEFINITELY be up for playing all sides and being some kind of loose Turkish vassal in the Crimea, if that appeals...

I was sceptical because of Tarats, BUT he was of a very prominent Tatar origin after all. We may assume there's no more viable heir to the Khanate.

If you have any details, please PM me.

EDIT: Garlan can go ahead with his plan.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2016, 08:06:51 AM »

Thank you benevolent Sultan / Pasha xxx
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2016, 09:35:22 AM »

I already claimed Japan.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2016, 10:39:24 AM »

Another possibility is limiting a number of such states. Like Austria being annexed by Germany, Tyrol by Italy and formation of Yugoslavia. But that's all up to Lumine.

Maybe German-speaking Austria (so OTL Austria minus the Burgenland but plus South Tyrol & Sudetenland) could really have joined Germany, if there was a A-H breakup? Since there was no Treaty of Versailles, no one could have prohibited it, and the Austrian populace would have been 90% in favour of that...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »

Another possibility is limiting a number of such states. Like Austria being annexed by Germany, Tyrol by Italy and formation of Yugoslavia. But that's all up to Lumine.

Maybe German-speaking Austria (so OTL Austria minus the Burgenland but plus South Tyrol & Sudetenland) could really have joined Germany, if there was a A-H breakup? Since there was no Treaty of Versailles, no one could have prohibited it, and the Austrian populace would have been 90% in favour of that...
Wouldn't it empower Germany too much though?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2016, 12:00:12 PM »

Wouldn't it empower Germany too much though?

That's eight million people, mostly farmers, no real stragetic importance. I wouldn't think so?

Also, Lumine, Galicia to the German puppet state friend and ally Poland is okay?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »

Man, post-AH and the Balkans are going to be interesting.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies