The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:47:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39228 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 20, 2016, 12:01:11 PM »

UK Part I now up! I'm trying to get Part II finished in a few minutes, hopefully.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #176 on: May 20, 2016, 12:47:20 PM »

Dammit, the UK went on longer than I expected. It's really fun to write about British governments. Sorry if it's too bloated!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #177 on: May 20, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »

Oh Lumine, you magnificent bastard. I cannot tell you how much I love you right now.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #178 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:39 PM »

Dammit, the UK went on longer than I expected. It's really fun to write about British governments. Sorry if it's too bloated!

I enjoyed that as hell! XD
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #179 on: May 20, 2016, 01:23:39 PM »

I got shivers reading the British description.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2016, 01:27:20 PM »

Eh, you weren't around for attack on Mecca.

Now, that was shivering.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2016, 01:39:53 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2016, 01:41:36 PM by Lumine »

Now, that was shivering.

Yeah, that was something else. I believe all players had a collective "holy ____!" (and I had one writing it myself). And spoiler alert, the Middle East Remembers.

PS: Apologies for killing Prince Albert (George VI) so randomly, but I couldn't stop myself.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #182 on: May 20, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »

Now, that was shivering.

Yeah, that was something else. I believe all players had a collective "holy ____!" (and I had one writing it myself). And spoiler alert, the Middle East Remembers.

It was a huge deal after all. I mean, it pretty much was a pretext for world war.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I forgot he was named Albert, lol.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #183 on: May 20, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »

Link to the attack on Mecca?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #184 on: May 20, 2016, 02:00:22 PM »

Crisis – Disaster in Mecca!

TO: All players.

The tension continues to rise among the world powers, with many of the leading newspapers of the World declaring that war is about to come again, justified by many crises. Now they have an even bigger justification, the sack of Mecca. British troops were stationed in the area after the war against the Ottoman Empire, but the garrison was light and it always tried its best not to inflame tensions or cause any kind of conflict within the sacred city of Islam. Thus, Mecca enjoyed almost three years of peace even as the Rashids and the Saudis fought for Arabia, at least until there were mysterious and unexpected disturbances in a British company. The soldiers appeared to have gotten drunk after getting a hold of enormous quantities of alcohol, and when the officers tried to install discipline they were shot and killed by some of the soldiers, who staged a mutiny. Despite the best attempts of the British commander to keep them contained, some of the soldiers manage to enter Mecca, where they started to sack some of the key places while causing chaos all over the city. The Sharif of Mecca and his men reacted immediately, killing most of the mutineers and chasing them through the streets. The few who escaped took their guns and staged a small assault to the Kaaba with a few basic grenades, that were enough to set the place in fire. When it was over and the Sharif managed to eliminate the fire, the Kaaba was heavily damaged and the citizens of Mecca were engaging in open warfare with the British troops, that were forced to withdraw. With a single incident, the occupied Middle East rose in anger, with the Palestinians resuming their revolt and lynching Jewish settlers while attacking isolated British soldiers. The Rashids and the Saudis managed to get a small unofficial truce while making consultations with other Arabian princes, and it seems the Middle East is about to explode as the news keep expanding further and further.

Good old times.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #185 on: May 20, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »

Jesus Christ. I can just imagine the build up to that moment.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #186 on: May 20, 2016, 02:12:35 PM »

Now, that was shivering.

PS: Apologies for killing Prince Albert (George VI) so randomly, but I couldn't stop myself.

I've been putting it off but if there's stuff like this in there which radically changed the world from OTL that'll be reappearing here I guess it's finally time to go through the old game threads.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #187 on: May 20, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »

Now, that was shivering.

It was a huge deal after all. I mean, it pretty much was a pretext for world war.

It really shocked me at the time, as I had taken extra efforts to keep the British out of the city itself. I guess it shows the danger of occupying soldiers + alcohol Smiley , though I suspect we were all fairly close to a world war by that point anyways Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #188 on: May 20, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »

Romania now up, giving you some minor insight on the collapse of Austria-Hungary.
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #189 on: May 20, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »

Great reads. Loved the British one - thanks for incorporating my little Irish idea.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 20, 2016, 04:35:41 PM »

Romania now up, giving you some minor insight on the collapse of Austria-Hungary.
Thanks! Sorry for making you research such an obscure country, but I wanted a country with good potential not bordered by a great power.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #191 on: May 20, 2016, 04:57:45 PM »

Thanks! Sorry for making you research such an obscure country, but I wanted a country with good potential not bordered by a great power.

What do you mean not bordered by a great power?

Bulgaria is Ottoman, just temporarily out of our control...

Ooops, I gave away too much.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #192 on: May 20, 2016, 09:42:41 PM »

We have the China details! So all that's left for me is write like a maniac and see if I can magically craft the next seven backstories.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #193 on: May 21, 2016, 03:31:19 AM »

Did I miss the cutoff for signups?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2016, 02:29:07 PM »

For the time being, I'm afraid so, Smith. I'm having a hard time as it is to write for twelve different countries, so at most you could join as one of the Russian successor states since that's the last backstory I'll write.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #195 on: May 21, 2016, 03:27:19 PM »

You can be the Sultan. All you'd have to do would be waving, smilling and saying whatever your minister tells you.

But seriously, there's probably going to be opening, unless you want to be like Ernest last time around. Man, that was hillarious.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #196 on: May 21, 2016, 04:07:04 PM »

Japan is up.

Most of the backstory was written by Dereich, but I made a few changes and added a few parts. France is next!
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2016, 05:44:53 PM »

You can be the Sultan. All you'd have to do would be waving, smilling and saying whatever your minister tells you.

But seriously, there's probably going to be opening, unless you want to be like Ernest last time around. Man, that was hillarious.

Do tell us about the hilarity.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2016, 05:50:19 PM »

Do tell us about the hilarity.

He basically came in and started playing William Jennings Bryan with great rants.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #199 on: May 21, 2016, 11:48:49 PM »

As you can tell, gentlemen, I was unable to start on Saturday. Several other matters required my attention, making extensive writing a bit too hard to achieve...

On the bright side, France is now up! All we have left is China, Italy, Germany, Ottomans and Russia, which I am writing right now (I would expect to have one or two more before going to bed). That means I can work tomorrow on the remainder and the war system, and see the possibility of starting the game tomorrow night.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies