The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39243 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 23, 2016, 10:12:35 AM »

Must I always begin with low popularity Sad
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #226 on: May 23, 2016, 10:17:12 AM »

Yeah, well, being a shadow government guilty of genocide has its costs, xD
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #227 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:19 AM »

Oh, a final thing! I very much encourage roleplay and getting into character, but the time area is still a sensitive one as there may be cases of genocide and potentially discriminatory policies, so don't go overboard with that or into too much detail.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2016, 10:19:20 AM »

Oh, a final thing! I very much encourage roleplay and getting into character, but the time area is still a sensitive one as there may be cases of genocide and potentially discriminatory policies, so don't go overboard with that or into too much detail.

I was very restrained as Abdul Hamid, even though you continued to tempt me with genocidal scenarios Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #229 on: May 23, 2016, 11:41:33 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 11:43:23 AM by Cranberry »

One quick nitpick - I'm not really convinced that Germany, arguably the one having the best position into the future after the first game, would have the same economic rating as provisional government Russia, or also Italy and Spain for that matter, who have all witnessed extreme turmoil within the last ten years, while Germany was left unscathed.

But I'm sure you will have your reasons for that - I just am interested in hearing them, as I personally can't see it with our current knowledge.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I also don't really find it plausible for the United Kingdom.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #230 on: May 23, 2016, 11:54:22 AM »

One quick nitpick - I'm not really convinced that Germany, arguably the one having the best position into the future after the first game, would have the same economic rating as provisional government Russia, or also Italy and Spain for that matter, who have all witnessed extreme turmoil within the last ten years, while Germany was left unscathed.

But I'm sure you will have your reasons for that - I just am interested in hearing them, as I personally can't see it with our current knowledge.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I also don't really find it plausible for the United Kingdom.

Numbers indicate the performance of each country considering its own potential, not a standarization. The German and the British economy would still be obviously stronger that the others mentioned, but they have moderate economies because they're still recovering from the crisis have a large task ahead of themselves.

But yeah, some ratings are off, I'll make a few adjustments.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #231 on: May 23, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

Alright, so your ratings are more to be seen as relative accessors of a nation's economic potential than as absolute numbers, am I getting this right?
If so, could you maybe also include some absolute numbers, so to ease comparability? A way to do this is take, idk, the UK for example as n=100 and give the others ratings relative to this number, assessing a rough number of GDP so to say. I'd fully understand though if you'd say that that was too much work for you, you've already got so much on your plate.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #232 on: May 23, 2016, 12:11:42 PM »

Alright, so your ratings are more to be seen as relative accessors of a nation's economic potential than as absolute numbers, am I getting this right?
If so, could you maybe also include some absolute numbers, so to ease comparability? A way to do this is take, idk, the UK for example as n=100 and give the others ratings relative to this number, assessing a rough number of GDP so to say. I'd fully understand though if you'd say that that was too much work for you, you've already got so much on your plate.

Not a bad idea, Cranberry, I just can't implement it. It's already a pain to do all the research I've undergone so far, and making an economic system that is too complex will assuredly kill my remaining sanity (the ratings give indications of what's going on, nothing more).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #233 on: May 23, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »

Army sizes updated. I didn't had a lot of info to go on on the first place and this is an alternate world, so I toyed with the numbers for balance.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2016, 12:47:40 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 12:54:49 PM by Enver Pasha of Enverland »

Damn, why is my air force so relatively small? I remember putting a strong emphazis on it's development in previous game.

EDIT: OK, maybe not "small" per se, but seems weird in comparision with other countries, especially struggling and destabilized Russia. Also, I remember setting up marine division last time.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2016, 12:58:01 PM by Dereich »

I was hoping the Japanese navy would be a bit larger as well due to all the money it gets and without the limits set by the Washington Naval Treaty...I suppose I can correct it through the game as long as I stay patient.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2016, 01:14:38 PM »

I was hoping the Japanese navy would be a bit larger as well due to all the money it gets and without the limits set by the Washington Naval Treaty...I suppose I can correct it through the game as long as I stay patient.

Combination of 1914 Naval numbers + Japan being factored in as third largest naval power (always behind Germany and UK). An economic crisis also makes it hard to keep a large navy when most immediate naval threats seem neutralized to the Genro.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2016, 01:16:11 PM »

Damn, why is my air force so relatively small? I remember putting a strong emphazis on it's development in previous game.

EDIT: OK, maybe not "small" per se, but seems weird in comparision with other countries, especially struggling and destabilized Russia. Also, I remember setting up marine division last time.

The Ottoman Empire has solved many issues with its army and outdated technology, but it can't handle all of them, not to mention aircraft has to be bought, the Empire doesn't not produce them as of now. The marine division I'll correct.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2016, 01:17:36 PM »

The Ottoman Empire has solved many issues with its army and outdated technology, but it can't handle all of them, not to mention aircraft has to be bought, the Empire doesn't not produce them as of now. The marine division I'll correct.

OK.

Well, I'll have things to work on.
Garlan Gunter
United Kingdom

« Reply #239 on: May 23, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »

Are we ready to kick off...?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #240 on: May 23, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »

I think we wait until Lumine posts info for turn one.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2016, 01:59:54 PM »

I think we wait until Lumine posts info for turn one.

Correct.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #242 on: May 23, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »

I'm still impressed you managed to produce backstory so soon, Lumine.  

I have one futher question, though. On the map it seems like Hejaz and Northern Yemen are together. Is that intentional or a mistake?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #243 on: May 23, 2016, 02:06:24 PM »

I have one futher question, though. On the map it seems like Hejaz and Northern Yemen are together. Is that intentional or a mistake?

Goes to show I do care about the game, although I'll kick myself later for all the things I had to postpone to get the backstory done...

Yes, both are joined intentionally. Last minute change on the Ottoman backstory, there's no way in hell the British would have been able to hold onto Hejaz and Northern Yemen after the Mecca attacks. They were kicked out in a revolt, and with the instability at home the UK was not about to cause a Middle Eat quagmire. Consider it a puppet of yours, although they still have significant Saudi influence.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #244 on: May 23, 2016, 02:09:02 PM »

Goes to show I do care about the game, although I'll kick myself later for all the things I had to postpone to get the backstory done...

Yes, both are joined intentionally. Last minute change on the Ottoman backstory, there's no way in hell the British would have been able to hold onto Hejaz and Northern Yemen after the Mecca attacks. They were kicked out in a revolt, and with the instability at home the UK was not about to cause a Middle Eat quagmire. Consider it a puppet of yours, although they still have significant Saudi influence.

OK, I was just surprised. I can only imagine how... interesting having Hashemites sharing the same country with the Zaydi Shia will be.

This is going to be crazy.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #245 on: May 23, 2016, 05:07:03 PM »

Okay, have at it.

I'm utterly, utterly exhausted after days of writing and research and I don't want to even hear anything about the game right now. I'm signing off until tomorrow, will answer any questions later. Have fun!

Turn ends on Saturday, no delays. Turn Two will be posted on Sunday.

If Russia declares war, I'll open a thread for that.

And add me in all PM's! Otherwise I will simply refuse to acknowledge arrangements.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #246 on: May 23, 2016, 05:19:26 PM »

Additionally, why is my economic rating so bad if Romania's had a pretty stable scenario compared to the others under Weak?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #247 on: May 23, 2016, 05:25:59 PM »

And add me in all PM's! Otherwise I will simply refuse to acknowledge arrangements.

You'll regret this when you wake up and see all new messages coming in Wink
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #248 on: May 23, 2016, 05:29:52 PM »

You'll regret this when you wake up and see all new messages coming in Wink

Hahahahahaha!

You think Game Moderators get to sleep!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #249 on: May 23, 2016, 05:49:36 PM »

Btw, one more question. What are these new Caucasus states, other than the Cossacks.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies