The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:30:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39246 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: September 16, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »

If y'all do end up restarting this, I'm interested in coming back.

I'm not big of "restarting" if this would mean going back to the beggining, since we did so much awesome things so far I'd hate see wasted.
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #526 on: September 16, 2016, 05:01:46 PM »

If y'all do end up restarting this, I'm interested in coming back.

I'm not big of "restarting" if this would mean going back to the beggining, since we did so much awesome things so far I'd hate see wasted.

Oh no of course not.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #527 on: September 20, 2016, 09:47:15 PM »

Call me crazy, but a revival looks plausible now (keeping current developments), although I would certainly need to dramatically change the gameplay and cut on several things. Any suggestions?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #528 on: September 20, 2016, 11:40:05 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2016, 11:45:57 PM by Justice Dereich »

Maybe see who says they're still interested over the next few days and decide how to take things from there? If half the players just don't respond it'll probably reduce the workload quite a bit while (possibly) weeding out the most inactive players.

Apart from that its hard to say; we (or at least I) don't know everything you did as GM that added the most complexity or what in particular we did that pushed things over the top.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #529 on: September 21, 2016, 03:14:50 AM »

Call me crazy, but a revival looks plausible now (keeping current developments), although I would certainly need to dramatically change the gameplay and cut on several things. Any suggestions?
Well,
-Spain has lost the war, make this state unplayable.
-Romania is useless
-Make China unplayable too, too minor superpower
-Reduce the number of Russian states (it was honestly really not realistic)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #530 on: September 21, 2016, 03:20:41 AM »

Unfortunately, we seem to have problem with too many playable countries. Then again, we've had problems with too many unplayable countries in the brief second BoP.

I think it would be more practical to do what we've done in the first BoP: giving more control over satelitre/alied states to playable countries (which, of course, can be revoked/modified by the mod at any moment).

-Romania is useless

Sure, eliminating my allies must be convenient.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #531 on: September 21, 2016, 03:29:57 AM »

Unfortunately, we seem to have problem with too many playable countries. Then again, we've had problems with too many unplayable countries in the brief second BoP.

I think it would be more practical to do what we've done in the first BoP: giving more control over satelitre/alied states to playable countries (which, of course, can be revoked/modified by the mod at any moment).

-Romania is useless

I know it is difficult for you to understand that but not all my actions are directed against you. In fact, they would still be your allies, but unplayable by a person, like Hungary.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #532 on: September 21, 2016, 03:51:24 AM »

-Romania is useless

I know it is difficult for you to understand that but not all my actions are directed against you. In fact, they would still be your allies, but unplayable by a person, like Hungary.

I simply want to make sure no side gets unfair advantage when we're restarting it. Otherwise there's no point.

That being said, we should probably see who's still interested first before cutting the plate.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #533 on: September 21, 2016, 08:04:03 AM »

-Romania is useless

I simply want to make sure no side gets unfair advantage when we're restarting it. Otherwise there's no point.

That being said, we should probably see who's still interested first before cutting the plate.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room!

But seriously, let's not.

Anyway, I'm leaving this open for a few days to see who is interested in returning, with a minimum of six players or so, and a limit that doesn't go beyond eight or nine at best to make things more manageable.

So far, I'm considering simplifying some minor aspects of how I simulate things, look back into some backstory aspects that didn't work quite well, and possibily place a starting date of early 1929, giving me time to do a write up of what happened by the end of 1928. And yes, minor countries will probably become unplayable, but players will be able to control allies and satellite states.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #534 on: September 21, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »

I'm interested in resuming as Germany Smiley
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #535 on: September 21, 2016, 10:36:49 AM »

Well:
I want to return too, I have prepared some things to do regarding Spain just after the end of the war hehe.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #536 on: September 21, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »

My interest to rejoin goes without saying.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #537 on: September 21, 2016, 11:46:20 AM »

I'm happy to continue my fun with Russia
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #538 on: September 21, 2016, 12:21:07 PM »

Yeah, this time we have to limit ourselves to actual powers. I also understand windjammer's argument on China (though I'd regret not having to interact with a playable China). I don't see any way to remove Japan and the United States though, way too important.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #539 on: September 21, 2016, 12:26:51 PM »

Well, ideally, we would have Japan, Russia, UK, USA, Germany, Ottomans, Italy and France, for a total of eight (and since China collapsed in Civil War it does seem unnecessary for the time being).

So that's Russia, Germany, Ottomans and France claimed, and Dereich and SouthernGothic have posted too, leading me to believe we have Italy and Japan as well. Which leaves us with UK and USA, if Garlan and Leonardo have the time.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #540 on: September 21, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »

You do indeed still have Japan. There's no way I'd miss it.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #541 on: September 21, 2016, 02:29:45 PM »

I'd honestly just say restart the entire thing from original BoP. Isn't the whole idea behind ending that game that it was pretty much played out? As a new player it's difficult to jump into the enthusiasm of a nation that has already had multiple players over the course of multiple games. Why not try a new setting instead of hacking it together to try and make something that didn't work well in the first place continue to work only to fall short yet again and disappoint everyone

Just my two cents, I'd probably play either way but be more active in a new setting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #542 on: September 21, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

I'd hate to restart the orginal thing, especially since we would have to operate on similar mod (with more complicated approach being unpractical). I certainly won't be interested.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #543 on: September 21, 2016, 02:59:21 PM »

I'd hate to restart the orginal thing, especially since we would have to operate on similar mod (with more complicated approach being unpractical). I certainly won't be interested.

Restart as in a return to 1901 or 1927? Not sure if that would be wise, particularly given all the events we did manage to cover in the original one.

Alternatively, if people prefer a change rather than a small jump to 1929, we could change the setting to something different. It was clear 1860's was not a suitable time period for simulation, but I'm sure there are other time periods which are worth a shot (even if we harken back to the Middle Ages, Modern History or even Classical Antiquity), and less complex to simulate with the right sources.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #544 on: September 21, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »

I hate to be a problem, but I just don't want all the work we put into developments so far wasted. I'm all for trying antiquity one day, but let's not throw this thing away Sad
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #545 on: September 21, 2016, 03:49:37 PM »

I'm definitely interested.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #546 on: September 21, 2016, 04:24:57 PM »

I'd honestly just say restart the entire thing from original BoP. Isn't the whole idea behind ending that game that it was pretty much played out? As a new player it's difficult to jump into the enthusiasm of a nation that has already had multiple players over the course of multiple games. Why not try a new setting instead of hacking it together to try and make something that didn't work well in the first place continue to work only to fall short yet again and disappoint everyone

Just my two cents, I'd probably play either way but be more active in a new setting.

I think you're exaggerating the learning curve a bit. I believe Kal is the only one who is coming over from the previous game. I can't think of much that you wouldn't be able to get from Lumine's opening posts setting the scene except maybe the attack on Mecca. I haven't read through all the old threads and I seriously doubt anyone else has either.

As for the threads of THIS game when you look back at it we haven't actually gotten all that far yet. From the start of the game the geopolitical situation has changed in these ways:
  • A civil war has started in China between the Kumiotang, the Emperor, and the Communists
  • A war has started pitting France, Italy, and monarchist rebels against Communist Spain
  • The United States has had a change in government, moving away from a MacArthurite military dictatorship toward a form of government TBD by FDR
  • The heir to Romania was assassinated, possibly by Crimea (this doesn't really matter)
  • One Russian successor state has been defeated
  • A war started between the Turks and Romania, ostensibly because of an attack on the Bosphorus straits. Several Balkans countries have taken sides in the conflict.

That's it. The game really is still just getting started.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #547 on: September 21, 2016, 04:41:42 PM »

Windjammer and Spamage played the original game too, although with diffrent states. Cranberry too, before he dropped out.

I really miss folks like Clarence or SJoyce Sad
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #548 on: September 21, 2016, 04:57:55 PM »

Windjammer and Spamage played the original game too, although with diffrent states. Cranberry too, before he dropped out.

I swear, Clarence's McKinley was the best thing ever.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #549 on: September 21, 2016, 05:02:36 PM »

I swear, Clarence's McKinley was the best thing ever.

Aye, and Ernest coming over to play an extra role of William Jennings Bryan... those two were great/.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies