The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:50:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39157 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: September 21, 2016, 05:34:49 PM »

In any case, I'm sold with player's interest and Dereich's post, when you put it like that then indeed we have a lot to cover still. I understand Leonardo's concerns as well, but I think that with the way things are going for the US the backstory allows for a lot more of improvisation on behalf of the USA player.

So if we confirm Italy, USA and hopefully UK, we're back in business and I'll do a write up of the end of 1928 with some events to advance the storyline, and we could return for Early 1929. If you want any changes done to the game or the backstory, now's the time to speak.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #551 on: September 21, 2016, 06:16:50 PM »

In any case, I'm sold with player's interest and Dereich's post, when you put it like that then indeed we have a lot to cover still. I understand Leonardo's concerns as well, but I think that with the way things are going for the US the backstory allows for a lot more of improvisation on behalf of the USA player.

So if we confirm Italy, USA and hopefully UK, we're back in business and I'll do a write up of the end of 1928 with some events to advance the storyline, and we could return for Early 1929. If you want any changes done to the game or the backstory, now's the time to speak.

I like the idea of a broken Russia, but, wouldn't it be possible to slightly reduce the number of Russian states? I will be honest, I don't think it is historically plausible that there are too many Russian states.

Regarding China, maybe forgetting all NeverAgain has done regarding domestic policy? He has obviously totally screwed up and there is a civil war blablabla, but no way to erase this part? Just for the record, I believe that the trade agreements made between China, the Ottoman and the USA should still be in effect, but I think we should forget the "civil war stuff" in China.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #552 on: September 21, 2016, 06:29:21 PM »

I like the idea of a broken Russia, but, wouldn't it be possible to slightly reduce the number of Russian states? I will be honest, I don't think it is historically plausible that there are too many Russian states.

Regarding China, maybe forgetting all NeverAgain has done regarding domestic policy? He has obviously totally screwed up and there is a civil war blablabla, but no way to erase this part? Just for the record, I believe that the trade agreements made between China, the Ottoman and the USA should still be in effect, but I think we should forget the "civil war stuff" in China.

I'm not sure the Russian case it's that unplausible (noting that while I aim for something plausible, there are a lot of things in the backstories designed for gameplay rather than accuracy) considering the potential balkanization Russia faced in the OTL civil war with the division of the White Forces. Indeed, I think a China style warlord scenario could have emerged in Russia. I don't see it as a lasting balkanization, though, and I've tried to showcase this with the fall of the Achangelsk Republic and with Kolchak going expanionist now that he has a power base.

Regarding China, I'd rather not cancel out player actions. If I did that on the first game with actions that were mistakes, the original BoP would have missed a lot of stuff that made it more interesing. Plus the Chinese Civil War is something I look forward to simulating on the background, and it also expands the choices not only for the Japanese player, but for the rest as well.

But the concerns do make sense, what do the others think?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #553 on: September 22, 2016, 02:02:40 AM »

Frankly I think the Chinese Civil War is one of the only good excuses for not having a China player. A unified China with decades of peace to grow is just too big and important to be an NPC.

Russia is an extremely diverse set of people set over the largest area on Earth who were held together for centuries by little more than despotism. The huge distances which span Russia (as well as the shoddy transportation between these places) makes the whole thing breaking up the moment the iron hand eases up seem pretty likely. The same thing happened both in the 1910's and 1990s IRL, just with a stronger central government and military able to re-exert themselves much faster than in this timeline.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #554 on: September 22, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »

I don't want to see such a big country as China being left unplayable permanently. We may put China on a temporary NPC mod while we're getting the game restarted, but I'd like to see it playable later./
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2016, 11:47:30 AM »

Love you too.

As has been said, China without a civil war would be pretty overpowered. I, of course did not intend on having one, but it sprung up anyways. Apparently, according to Lumine, I got a bunch of bad rolls, but I should have handled the situation better. Right before we stopped, I believed I was making a comeback, as I felt I was on the right step internationally and domestically with killing off the commies.

I think the Civil War was unable to avoid, especially with rising communist tensions and a weak Emperor. I also wrote the history since the first BoP (with Lumine's blessing) on it and left it open for a possible civil war so, I mean I screwed myself over with early planning, but I like a challenge.

Anyways, I think China should still have their civil war, as it opens up more options and more attention to Asia. But I'd love to play again and take a tutorial from windjammer how to not "obviously totally screw up" again, as he apparently knows best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2016, 11:59:14 AM »

If NeverAgain would like to continue playing he should be able to. I was open to an idea of temporarily nonplayable China, but not anymore.

Also, can we not be dicks to each other?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »

If NeverAgain would like to continue playing he should be able to. I was open to an idea of temporarily nonplayable China, but not anymore.

I'd love to. I have a couple of strats to try out instantly now that I think I have the hang of China.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #558 on: September 22, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2016, 01:03:17 PM by Vice President Lumine »

I'd love to. I have a couple of strats to try out instantly now that I think I have the hang of China.

Then welcome back, good sir! China is playable again. We just need USA and UK sorted out then.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #559 on: September 22, 2016, 01:11:43 PM »

I must say I've always regretted China was a NPC in the first BoP. I considered taking China, but given I knew much more about the Ottomans I went with the Red Sultan... though my first thought was asking to make Brazil playable... sorry, just my obsessions Tongue

With no minor players, such as Romania, Crimea and Spain, we should be fine methinks.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2016, 09:50:05 PM »

I'd love to play if there's room.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #561 on: September 23, 2016, 04:55:07 AM »

While I don't see a justification of Romania being a playable country now, I'd hate to see one of our own pushed out. Maybe, if there's no other country, Kingpoleon can be assistant GM (like windjammer was before playing as Germany) for now?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #562 on: September 23, 2016, 06:17:46 AM »

I'm fine with Kingpoleon becoming Assistant GM
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #563 on: September 23, 2016, 05:09:00 PM »

I'm looking forward to this getting going
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2016, 01:16:02 PM »

I'm looking forward to this getting going
Same here! Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2016, 01:23:31 PM »

We still need USA and UK, though. Perhaps Kingpoleon can take over one of those, if the previous players won't be returning.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2016, 01:27:36 PM »

I think Leonard expressed interest in carrying on as the U.S.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »

Did anyone PM Garlan Gunter? Any sign of him?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2016, 02:34:37 PM »

Last Active: September 19, 2016

But he hadn't posted since August 2.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »

I PM'd both of them anyway, I'll wait for a response.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #570 on: September 24, 2016, 02:47:16 PM »

Damn, we certainly need the UK.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #571 on: September 24, 2016, 03:00:04 PM »

Again, I can play the U. K. I might need a general summary, since last time I was mostly focused on crushing the Bulgarians to a pulp.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #572 on: September 26, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »

OK, guys, we need to make a decision. I take Garlan wasn't successfully contacted?

We need the UK. The US can be on autopilot for a turn or two if Leonard is not interested.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #573 on: September 26, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »

OK, guys, we need to make a decision. I take Garlan wasn't successfully contacted?

We need the UK. The US can be on autopilot for a turn or two if Leonard is not interested.

Not that I could get started today, I'm dealing with a post-election mess at my university (in the sense that by my count I had enough votes to be elected to the office I stood for, but the "official" records shows wildly different numbers to what actually happened).

Leonardo is returning, and will provide a detail I need for the upcoming write-up of late 1928. Garlan hasn't answered yet.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #574 on: September 26, 2016, 11:38:24 AM »

Not that I could get started today, I'm dealing with a post-election mess at my university (in the sense that by my count I had enough votes to be elected to the office I stood for, but the "official" records shows wildly different numbers to what actually happened).

Leonardo is returning, and will provide a detail I need for the upcoming write-up of late 1928. Garlan hasn't answered yet.

OK, just wanted to clarify the situation.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 33  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies