The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:18:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
Author Topic: The Sword of Damocles - (Sign Up Thread) - Closed, 2017 Game Next  (Read 39360 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: May 14, 2016, 04:41:36 AM »
« edited: May 14, 2016, 04:50:20 AM by Alan Beresford B'stard, MP »

Signing in for the Ottoman Empire! XD

I'd go as Enver Pasha.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 07:13:09 AM »

Thinking about post-Austria-Hungary, I think one thing would be interesting: either two loosely federal states or two camps fighting for leading position in the region.

Also, I think Galicia would probably join the Kingdom of Poland with Austria collapsing. Germans would probably allow this, so Poles wouldn't be bothering them about their part, lol.

As of Crimea, I'm obviously reluctant to surrender this, but I'm open for challenges.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 07:20:13 AM »

And, after doing recently some reading on the Romanovs and Rasputin, I love the idea of "Yusupov state" XD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:39:43 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 08:06:03 AM by Alan Beresford B'stard, MP »

The Yusopov I envisage would DEFINITELY be up for playing all sides and being some kind of loose Turkish vassal in the Crimea, if that appeals...

I was sceptical because of Tarats, BUT he was of a very prominent Tatar origin after all. We may assume there's no more viable heir to the Khanate.

If you have any details, please PM me.

EDIT: Garlan can go ahead with his plan.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »

Man, post-AH and the Balkans are going to be interesting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 12:42:27 PM »

I believe one could apply such model to Ottoman's "satelites" as well. IIRC it was Bulgaria, Armenia and Crimea, though the latter is playable now. I imagine Ottomans expanding some influence in the Caucasus due to Russia breakup.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 12:55:31 PM »

So, just to clarify, I shall be Enver Pasha, oficially just a Minister of War and acting* Commander-in-Chief. Unoficially, of course, I'm the leader of military government.

* Yes, Sultan is a formal C-in-C
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »

Some of what has been proposed will be implemented, but as puppet states there will still be opposition and varied levels of discontent to German and Ottoman control (so yeah, Eastern Europe and the Middle East won't be chaotic, but it won't be a silent area either).

I don't expect everything being easy Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hungary would probably be an independent Kingdom. Austria is a bit tricky. It would be hard to explain it wasn't annexed given no post-WWI treaties prohibiting it.

Could be simply Austrian Kingdom, still rules by the Habsburgs to preclude outright German annexation. Hungary could be rules by another branch of the dynasty (and the two may actually dislike each other).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 01:59:23 PM »

I suppouse Abdülmecid II would be now a decorative Sultan-Caliph.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 02:55:04 PM »

I think we may have overlooked Sevastopol issue. It remained a Russian enclave after Snowstalker lost Crimea, but now with Russia breaking up, at least partialy, I don't suppouse it remained as such.

I see three interesting possibilities:
1. Ottoman territory
2. Incorporated into Crimea
3. City-state, either vassal or somehow independent
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 03:00:08 PM »

Sebastopol will be the capital of Yusupov's state. That said, his presence there is a blatant breach of an international treaty, so expect it to be an issue in the game.

I suspect there's still Ottoman military presence in the Crimea, especially naval bases (it appears that we're not, by pure deflaut, major naval power in the Black Sea).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »

Great job, though I believe Bulgaria has been partioned last time.

Russia... itr's just great XD
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 03:38:53 PM »

Bulgaria recovered its lands on a previous incident on the late 1910's. Sadly, it's not an Ottoman Puppet anymore, xD (Greece is not an Italian vassal either, all because of balance)

OK, thanks for an explanation.

(am I left without any puppets? Sad )
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 03:46:38 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2016, 03:48:38 PM by Alan Beresford B'stard, MP »

Bulgaria recovered its lands on a previous incident on the late 1910's. Sadly, it's not an Ottoman Puppet anymore, xD (Greece is not an Italian vassal either, all because of balance)

OK, thanks for an explanation.

(am I left without any puppets? Sad )

Just Crimea, I gave you annexed Armenia and Northern Persia (as you said you planned to go for that) to compensate. There's still ample room for the Ottomans to expand, although be warned, there's going to be a lot of ethnic strife (same goes for Germany, their current empire is very large, but it's going to be hard to maintain).

Well, I have to deal with this. I see some new states in the Caucasus, so... we'll see.

Btw, what happened to Ottoman port on Morocco Atlantic coast? I suppouse Ottomans would be very keen on keeping it in peace treaty.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 03:52:32 PM »

By the way Lumine,
I think France would have lost much more colonies after a defeat with Germany, but that's your call.

They did lose virtually everything, they got to keep Algeria and Northern Africa because defeat was not total and the British were able to put pressure to prevent further loss. Who will you play as, by the way?

Update: World building is growing large, so I can adventure we'll have several threads for this (perhaps by continents). Chances are I'll put a NO WAR rule among players for the first few turns so we can balance things out and let the scenario grow.

If the game was being played during the 1880's, I would have said Georges Boulanger, and if it was during the 1930's, François de La Rocque, but there wasn't any "major rightwing fascist populist" during this period of the game. So I think that should be a fictional fascist guy or something like that.

Is it going to be a Republic or a monarchy?

I believe you could have de La Rocque rising to prominence earlier.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

You can blame Snowstalker for that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 06:01:57 PM »

I doubt that'd be possible.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 06:36:20 PM »

I can't wait to see info about other Russian states!

Russia now settled, Kerensky-led Provisional Government with young Alexei II as constitutional monarch.

So we've butterflied away his hemophilia?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2016, 07:05:28 AM »

I can't wait to see info about other Russian states!

Russia now settled, Kerensky-led Provisional Government with young Alexei II as constitutional monarch.

So we've butterflied away his hemophilia?

Indeed, we did that in the original game if you remember. He was born earlier as well, so he is not the Alexei we know.

Remember when we've been spreading rumours he was illegitimate, and then I've recognized him as rightful Tsar to annoy Snowstalker?

Those were days.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »

Japan's being prepared too. Southern Gothic hasn't been online since the 13, so still nothing on Italy.

Well, with "no-war for few first turns" rule, I suppouse we may leave some nations unplayable for a while rather than getting stucked at the very start.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2016, 03:16:10 PM »

Damn, I'm excited.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »

Good to hear!

Although when the players say that in these games (or the ASOIAF ones) it usually ends in genocide, xD

I was trying not to be too genocidal last time, remember?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 04:41:16 PM »

Good to hear!

Although when the players say that in these games (or the ASOIAF ones) it usually ends in genocide, xD

I was trying not to be too genocidal last time, remember?

True, but in my defence, it would have been kind of hard to top the historical Red Sultan... (although Cranberry and Snowstalker engaged or caused genocide as well)

There's one thing I'll miss about Snowstalker's participation: his long-winded rants about Teutons.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 04:51:21 PM »

To be fair, I miss most (if not all) of the old players in different ways. For example, Clarence playing McKinley as a an imperialistic power-hungry maniac really added a lot to BoP I, the game wouldn't have been as nearly as fun without that.

Don't forget Ernest's guest star as William J. Bryan!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 05:05:48 PM »

To be fair, I miss most (if not all) of the old players in different ways. For example, Clarence playing McKinley as a an imperialistic power-hungry maniac really added a lot to BoP I, the game wouldn't have been as nearly as fun without that.

Don't forget Ernest's guest star as William J. Bryan!

Ernest really helped to add depth into the US, either with Bryan and Alexander Monroe Dockery.

The more I think about it, I believe Balance of Power I was truly my masterpiece, even more so than the ASOIAF games. It was overwhelming at times, but I learned a lot and I think all the players had a lot of fun there.

I never had more fun in any game. Word.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies