WW I to feature in new AAA FPS
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:55:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  WW I to feature in new AAA FPS
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WW I to feature in new AAA FPS  (Read 640 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2016, 07:47:03 AM »

The Great War is getting some love from EA/DICE this year.  The Trailer for it has more likes than any game trailer in history on youtube.  (in the same week CoD's new game trailer got the most dislikes in youtube history, HA!)  Will feature real weapons and vehicles (and mustard gas!), but not force you into trenches constantly.  Should be fun.

WWII has been done so many times, Vietnam, the Desert Storms, all been done.  Along with Korea, WWI has been long overlooked (for the obvious reasons of who wants to do trenches in a video game), but here we are and it looks good.

(not a paid advertisement from EA)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:25:15 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2016, 03:27:45 AM by Eternal Senator North Carolina Yankee »

This looks interesting, I hope it comes out for computer and hopefully by then I should have a rig capable of running it.

There is a mod for Battlefield 1942 called Battlefield 1918. Of course it is over a decade old now. Generally in terms of FPS WW2 gets all the action. I think a good reason for this is that for most of the video game era there were still substantial numbers of WW2 vets, not so for WW1 vets who were mostly gone by the 1990's. Added to that, it was the last conflict in which there was vast support/sympathy for defeating the bad guys. Afganistan might count as an exception to that. Also Nazis are one of the most common enemy types in gaming.

Another thing is, the US was not involved in World War 1 until the last year and some change and only around that time had the war become "A war to save Democracy". Prior to that, it was a struggle of Empires, which people have a hard time relating to these days and also makes determining good versus evil more difficult as seen in this recent trend of sympathy for the Second Reich, thinking their victory would prevent World War II and Hitler. Of course I contend that such would lead to the Third Republic collapsing and either the Monarchy or Empire being restored, leading to a subsequent war.

Even for strategy based games like Hearts of Iron. World War II gets its own game while World War gets tact onto the end of Victoria, meaning it never happens since events change so much throughout the game that it isn't triggered unless you start in 1914 with the war underway already.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 06:10:02 PM »

This looks interesting, I hope it comes out for computer and hopefully by then I should have a rig capable of running it.
EA/Dice make their shooters for the PC, then port them to the  consoles.  CoD does the opposite, and it shows.  You will need a good rig.  Specs aren't out yet, but it's using the same engine as BF4 did, so the specs for that should be close to what you'll need at a minimum.  Quad proc, 8G RAM (16 would be preferred) and a modern, say at least a $150 video card, and you should be good to go.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 02:46:24 AM »

EA/Dice make their shooters for the PC, then port them to the  consoles.  CoD does the opposite, and it shows.  You will need a good rig.  Specs aren't out yet, but it's using the same engine as BF4 did, so the specs for that should be close to what you'll need at a minimum.  Quad proc, 8G RAM (16 would be preferred) and a modern, say at least a $150 video card, and you should be good to go.

My newest computer (the one that presently cannot even access the internet properly), has a dual core processor and maxes out at 8 GB of Ram. It would need a power supply upgrade before contemplating a video card and a RAM before anything because right now it only has 2 and this is woefully underpowered for Windows Seven just to run properly.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies