WV-gov: Who wins in November?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:55:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WV-gov: Who wins in November?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who wins?
Justice (D)

Cole (R)

Other (?)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 64

Author Topic: WV-gov: Who wins in November?  (Read 1689 times)
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 11:21:01 PM »

Meh, Rahall had been Congressman for decades as his district sank.  Sen Byrd's ability to drag projects into the state probably propped him up for awhile.  Without the pork and coal getting played out, it was gonna catch up with him sooner or later.  Things have actually gotten much worse since he left, not that he could have stopped it either.

Justice actually employs coal miners plus he "diversifies" the economy with his Greenbrier investment (which also got taxpayer money)  He's as big of flim-flam man as Trump but he can out [inks] grin Cole any day of the week.

Doesn't matter in the end as neither can pull WV out of the toilet.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 11:43:06 AM »

I think Justice is more likely to win than Manchin.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 12:11:18 PM »

I actually agree, considering how the national mood is expected to be in both years, but I'm not comfortable predicting anything about 2018 this far out.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2016, 11:55:38 AM »

Given the fact that most of the Dem leadership in WV is more socially conservative and pro-coal than the national party, I'd say Justice gets it.  But I suspect it will be close no matter who wins.  Keep in mind that until very recently, West Virginia was solidly blue at the state level, even when it was trending hard for the GOP in national elections.

Manchin isn't up until 2018.  Either way, I think Manchin is pretty safe as long as he wants to run; he's much more moderate/conservative than the national party and has made a name for himself as a social conservative and defender of the coal industry.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/US/rescues-underway-hundreds-trapped-west-virginia-mall-deadly/story?id=40098693

Devastating flooding in West Virginia right now, with 14 people killed. While this might not sound political, this means the government will be doing a lot of recovery between now and November, which could help the incumbent Democratic party. The area around White Sulphur Springs has been trending Republican since 2000 though, so we'll find out in November if the disaster will affect the area politically.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »

Agreed. Justice has a 0.1% chance, Manchin has a 0% chance.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies