Republicans Only
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Republicans Only
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If you are/wers anti-trump will you hold your nose and vote for him due to 4 or supreme court justice seats probably being nominated by the next president?
Yes

No

Maybe

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Republicans Only  (Read 1267 times)
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:35:27 AM »

I was anti-trump but have now gotten aboard now that he is our nominee. This election holds more importance than usual due to the number of possible supreme court justices being nominated by our next president. It will either be chosen by Hillary who will nominate very liberal people or Trump who will nominate conservatives. These nominations will have a much much bigger effect on the long term direction of the country than who is the next president.

I would like to hear from Republicans only.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »

Trump will not nominate conservatives. He's not pro-life and that tells me he can't be trusted on SCOTUS picks. Cruz could be trusted and the party inks itself by handing it to Trump.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »

No, because Trump is not conservative, and there is no guarantee his Supreme Court picks would be any more conservative than whoever Hillary picks.
PresidentTRUMP
2016election

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »

He has stated he will submit a list of people he would consider for the positions before the election and only chose a nominee from that list. So im sure you will have a pretty good idea about who he is considering than and can make your decision i guess based off his list and how conservative they are.
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:39 AM »

He has stated he will submit a list of people he would consider for the positions before the election and only chose a nominee from that list. So im sure you will have a pretty good idea about who he is considering than and can make your decision i guess based off his list and how conservative they are.
And how are we supposed to believe that he won't change his mind once elected?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 11:11:43 AM »

JCL has the right line of approach here. Even though I don't really like the guy, I trusted that Cruz had the legal experience and ideological commitment to chose judicial nominees who were conservative and even more importantly good jurists. Someone who has clerked with SCOTUS isn't appointing a Roy Moore to the court.

Trump? First, I don't trust that his appointments will be either. I just flat out don't trust his judgment. Its impossible to know where he stands on issues because of his daily lies and flip-flops, so I don't expect conservative jurists. He doesn't stick to any of this other statements so I don't see why he'd stick to some list.

I also don't expect that he'll appoint good jurists. Justice Thomas told a group of us that when he was talking with Bush 1 the president looked him in the eye and told him "once you're up there, I won't hold it against you if you rule against me." He then repeated that several times in a row. Does anyone, ANYONE, expect Trump who had NEVER rolled with the punches or shown thick skin to do the same? I expect that Trump will want absolute loyalty to him, a TERRIBLE standard for the court. Plus, he has few advisors and those he does have aren't great and aren't listened to. I expect Trump to go for a toady and/or a terrible jurist. He wouldn't bring in a good Court.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:41:56 AM »

Really, considering my views on abortion, there isn't much need for me to support super conservative SCOTUS justices.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:33:34 PM »

Supreme Court nominations matter, but it's not the only thing. Who knows what will happen when the Senate becomes deadlocked over whoever gets nominated by either Trump or Hillary.
The larger question is this: Does Trump well represent and promote a culture of respect for life and  for constitutional liberties?  No, quite the opposite. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 01:55:25 PM »

Supreme Court nominations matter, but it's not the only thing. Who knows what will happen when the Senate becomes deadlocked over whoever gets nominated by either Trump or Hillary.
The larger question is this: Does Trump well represent and promote a culture of respect for life and  for constitutional liberties?  No, quite the opposite. 
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »

No, because Trump is not conservative, and there is no guarantee his Supreme Court picks would be any more conservative than whoever Hillary picks.

You know who for sure isn't conservative? Hillary Clinton.

The logic of you people is mind-boggling.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »

Trump is objectively pro-life and a non-pro-life nominee will not get past a Republican Senate when a Republican is nominating that person. Plain and simple. If Trump goes back on that he will not be re-elected - not by a wide margin. If you are a single issue pro-life voter and refuse to back Trump over his abortion stance, you are simply a complete idiot because you are guaranteeing abortion now and abortion forever in this country by letting Hillary reign and nominate. You are the problem. So get in line or your whole life mission is worthless.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:29 PM »

Trump is objectively pro-life and a non-pro-life nominee will not get past a Republican Senate when a Republican is nominating that person. Plain and simple. If Trump goes back on that he will not be re-elected - not by a wide margin. If you are a single issue pro-life voter and refuse to back Trump over his abortion stance, you are simply a complete idiot because you are guaranteeing abortion now and abortion forever in this country by letting Hillary reign and nominate. You are the problem. So get in line or your whole life mission is worthless.

No. Trump is not pro-life. While the life issue is a big one with me, he has too many leftist policy positions on top of that one. I'm not getting in line with someone I can't agree with in good conscience. This also goes for Hillary.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »

Really, considering my views on abortion, there isn't much need for me to support super conservative SCOTUS justices.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »

No. Trump is not pro-life. While the life issue is a big one with me, he has too many leftist policy positions on top of that one. I'm not getting in line with someone I can't agree with in good conscience. This also goes for Hillary.

I don't get your logic. By not supporting Trump you are helping Hillary get elected.
There is no denying what kind of disaster Hillary's presidency is going to be.

So, putting aside whether you like Trump or not, whether you support Trump or not, whether your feelings are hurt or whatever, Hillary Clinton is undoubtedly the worst president one can imagine. Therefore, Trump or anybody else for that matter would be better than her and deserves your vote and the vote of anybody who is not for Hillary.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 07:30:25 PM »

So basically we need to decide whether we'd prefer a fascist goon who tries to outlaw criticizing himself, deports all immigrants, whose abortion views change more often than many graduate students change clothes, puts the US into default, and causes an endless stream of international incidents (some of which are bound to escalate) or a pro-abortion felon who will appoint the craziest stoned out hippy she can find to the Supreme Court to keep aborting legal for the next century and rule that microaggressions are an act of violence not protected by the first amendment, the second amendment states only the government is allowed to own guns, and the first amendment means religious organizations lose their tax exempt status.

Welcome to hell.

(outcomes exaggerated slightly for effect)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 07:58:46 PM »

So basically we need to decide whether we'd prefer a fascist goon who tries to outlaw criticizing himself, deports all immigrants, whose abortion views change more often than many graduate students change clothes, puts the US into default, and causes an endless stream of international incidents (some of which are bound to escalate) or a pro-abortion felon who will appoint the craziest stoned out hippy she can find to the Supreme Court to keep aborting legal for the next century and rule that microaggressions are an act of violence not protected by the first amendment, the second amendment states only the government is allowed to own guns, and the first amendment means religious organizations lose their tax exempt status.

Welcome to hell.

*gasp* The horror! Shocked
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 08:01:34 PM »

Welcome to hell.

It wouldn't be such a horror in libertarian world where there is no property tax and the government only spends 5% of our GDP but it would be beyond ridiculous in the US given all other non-profit orgs are also tax exempt.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 08:19:09 PM »

Welcome to hell.

It wouldn't be such a horror in libertarian world where there is no property tax and the government only spends 5% of our GDP but it would be beyond ridiculous in the US given all other non-profit orgs are also tax exempt.

Eh, I have to wonder if some churches should really count as "non-profit", but point taken.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 08:46:24 PM »

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 02:23:31 PM »

Let me put it this way: I don't necessarily adhere to a strictly liberal or conservative judicial philosophy.  I think that either one could be applied based on the merits of each individual case.  Justice should be blind, but not stupid.  So honestly, the Supreme Court doesn't matter all that much to my vote, except for the fact that I would prefer a pro-life justice who would work to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 07:26:29 PM »

If this country "survived" (rolls eyes) the Warren Court, I'm sure we can survive whoever Clinton appoints.

I refuse to vote for that orange skinned pissbaby.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2016, 09:52:54 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2016, 09:55:01 PM by Roemerista »

I'd rather see the democrats hold the presidency for 100 years before seeing Donald Trump being in the West Wing for a single day, even on a public tour.

The court is very important - and a heavy cost to pay. Clinton may be wrong on most areas of policies - but she is not an unhinged.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2016, 11:25:05 PM »

I'd rather see the democrats hold the presidency for 100 years before seeing Donald Trump being in the West Wing for a single day, even on a public tour.

The court is very important - and a heavy cost to pay. Clinton may be wrong on most areas of policies - but she is not an unhinged.

You haven't seen her as president to say that. It will be too late to be sorry once she is elected.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies