TIL that the Buddha Is a Christian Saint
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:21:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  TIL that the Buddha Is a Christian Saint
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TIL that the Buddha Is a Christian Saint  (Read 1392 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barlaam_and_Josaphat

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 10:04:34 PM »

Am I missing the part where it says one of these saints was Buddha?

It's well-know that Christianity spread to India in the lifetime of the 12 Apostles.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:05:06 AM »

Am I missing the part where it says one of these saints was Buddha?

It's well-know that Christianity spread to India in the lifetime of the 12 Apostles.

The story of "Josaphat" is too similar to the story of the Buddha (son of a king - imprisoned in his palace because astrologers told his father that he would become a holy man - managed to escape anyway, decided to dedicate his life to religion after encountering a mystic along the road) to be coincidence.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 09:35:33 AM »

and there is no such thing as a "Christian" saint.  Roman Catholics have saints.  A few other weirdos also have saints.  "Christians" don't have saints.

BRTD, back me up here.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 10:19:07 AM »

Catholics aren't Christian?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »

Depends on who you ask, but that's not the point.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 10:54:03 AM »

That the Buddha is a saint to most Christians, rather than all Christians, is a point without relevance.
Small L
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:51:37 PM »

and there is no such thing as a "Christian" saint.  Roman Catholics have saints.  A few other weirdos also have saints.  "Christians" don't have saints.

BRTD, back me up here.
You're right in the sense that every saint is a Roman Catholic Wink
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

and there is no such thing as a "Christian" saint.  Roman Catholics have saints.  A few other weirdos also have saints.  "Christians" don't have saints.

BRTD, back me up here.

Anglicans, Orthodox, and Lutherans also have recognized saints. The vast majority of Christians follow a denomination with recognized saints. All the others have unrecognized saints.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:53 PM »

Anglicans, Orthodox, and Lutherans also have recognized saints. The vast majority of Christians follow a denomination with recognized saints.
That maybe true worldwide, but not in the US.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I don't know what this means exactly, but I know S.Baptists don't have saints, recognized or not.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 08:50:10 PM »

A saint is someone who goes to Heaven.

For example, the Catholic Saints are just people the Catholic Church feels it can confirm definitely went to heaven.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:37:13 AM »

aahhhh, makes sense I guess.  Ignorance fought, my apologies for the thread sh**t.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2016, 04:21:46 PM »

BRTD, back me up here.

Anglicans, Orthodox, and Lutherans also have recognized saints. The vast majority of Christians follow a denomination with recognized saints. All the others have unrecognized saints.

A saint is someone who goes to Heaven.

For example, the Catholic Saints are just people the Catholic Church feels it can confirm definitely went to heaven.

While the theology about saint is the same in Lutheranism as in Catholism, how they're treated in Lutheran Churches are quite different from Catholic Churches, there's a reason why Catholics are seen as worshippers of saints (even if this is not correct theological) and it's not just because of Protestant propaganda.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 08:59:16 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2016, 09:02:22 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

BRTD, back me up here.

Lutherans don't recognize saints in the same way that Catholics, Anglicans, or Orthodox Christians do.  They have a liturgical calendar to honor them, but they don't generally refer to them as "St. <Blank>", and they don't venerate them the way Catholics do.  One of the co-pastors at my uncle's church, for instance, describes the word "saint" as having a dual meaning, both to refer to Christians known for their courageous faith, and also to refer to believers in general.

Simply put, while they honor certain individuals, they don't generally identify them as saints.
Minstral
Rookie
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2016, 01:14:30 AM »

I have heard the term of different Buddhist saint before, but it always seemed to me like it was a way of translating a position without context. In the Middle ages the Mongols understood the concept of "knight" very vaguely, and so if a Christian diplomat asked what type of rank so-and-so had the Mongol could reply "he is a knight" in a way of equating the person to a relatable term. It tends to ignore the finer details of the term and gives a more identifiable term that the person can relate to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies