Obama mandates All Public Schools to let Trans students use bathroom of choice
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:45:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama mandates All Public Schools to let Trans students use bathroom of choice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Obama mandates All Public Schools to let Trans students use bathroom of choice  (Read 3562 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2016, 09:42:06 PM »

Obama is issuing an Executive Order to mandate all public schools nationwide allow transgender students to use the bathroom of the gender they identify with.

This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 09:48:07 PM »

This I can respect.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 12:16:08 AM »

It doesn't have the force of law lIke the typical executive order - i.e. it doesn't repeal the NC law. What it basically says is "If some other state tries this, we're suing them too."

"Obama Administration Warns Schools To Allow Transgender Access To Bathrooms" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/05/12/obama-transgender-bathrooms_n_9944226.html
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 12:49:29 AM »

#Hero
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 01:23:38 AM »

It's not really "mandating" anything, it's just saying "don't change the status quo."

Transgender students can currently use whichever bathroom they want.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:26:06 AM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 02:32:19 AM by Gass3268 »

It doesn't have the force of law lIke the typical executive order - i.e. it doesn't repeal the NC law. What it basically says is "If some other state tries this, we're suing them too."

"Obama Administration Warns Schools To Allow Transgender Access To Bathrooms" - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2016/05/12/obama-transgender-bathrooms_n_9944226.html

And possibly pulling DoE money.

FF!
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 04:52:32 AM »

Transgender students can currently use whichever bathroom they want.

what
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:38:43 PM »

I support this order.

I hope he also issues an executive order abolishing mandatory uniforms in public schools.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »

Looking at the HERO results in Houston I still feel Ds shouldn't go overboard on this issue. It really is easy for conservatives to spin this as a way for predators to go into bathrooms and prey on children however they spin it. HERO advocates had no answer for this in Houston and it appears they still don't.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:17:05 PM »

Looking at the HERO results in Houston I still feel Ds shouldn't go overboard on this issue. It really is easy for conservatives to spin this as a way for predators to go into bathrooms and prey on children however they spin it. HERO advocates had no answer for this in Houston and it appears they still don't.

It should be quite easy to answer.  Do you support a measure that forces people with beards and other masculine features into women's bathrooms because their birth certificate says they are a female, thereby giving cover to male rapists to do the same?  Let's face it, North Carolina's HB 2 makes it easier for women to be raped in bathrooms.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 02:23:52 PM »

He probably did this in case Trump wins and wanted to take care of it before Trump made it worse.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »

Idc who uses the bathroom, as long as they wash their hands.

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 04:17:26 PM »

It should be quite easy to answer.  Do you support a measure that forces people with beards and other masculine features into women's bathrooms because their birth certificate says they are a female, thereby giving cover to male rapists to do the same?  Let's face it, North Carolina's HB 2 makes it easier for women to be raped in bathrooms.

The result is the same either way.

What you identify as, what you look like/can pass for, and what you were born as - these are each different things.
user12345
wifikitten
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 04:30:02 PM »

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 05:42:01 PM »

This would be a great issue for conservatives to rediscover the value of civil society and social convention finding solutions on.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 06:23:40 PM »

I don't know, Cruz's Indiana campaign was essentially a single-issue "attack Trump for being pro-trans" campaign and it went absolutely nowhere.

It wasn't that long ago that conservatives attacks gays for being unnatural and predatory the way that they do for the trans population now. It didn't even take 20 years for them to completely and totally lose the war on LGB and it will probably take even less time to lose the war on T.

Hell, it wasn't even 8 years ago (!) that California (!) voted to abolish gay marriage.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »

I don't know, Cruz's Indiana campaign was essentially a single-issue "attack Trump for being pro-trans" campaign and it went absolutely nowhere.

It wasn't that long ago that conservatives attacks gays for being unnatural and predatory the way that they do for the trans population now. It didn't even take 20 years for them to completely and totally lose the war on LGB and it will probably take even less time to lose the war on T.

Hell, it wasn't even 8 years ago (!) that California (!) voted to abolish gay marriage.

Blame the fact that it's the most populated state, and that the general public still wasn't exactly ready to accept gays outside of New England.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 08:06:22 PM »

Completely unconstitutional
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 09:11:36 PM »

I saw a really good analysis that suggested that Cruz really lost Indiana because he was being way too pious and preachy for the state's tastes. It has deep evangelical roots but it is still fundamentally Midwestern in the sense that show-off-y forms of Christian pageantry past a certain point turn off voters. It may have a lot of Southern transplants (that's why it's the way it is) but it's not Southern.

As an aggregate, it seems to me that both GOP politicians and voters as a whole are oddly less hostile to "T" issues than they were/are "LGB" issues...though not by miraculous amounts.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

I saw a really good analysis that suggested that Cruz really lost Indiana because he was being way too pious and preachy for the state's tastes. It has deep evangelical roots but it is still fundamentally Midwestern in the sense that show-off-y forms of Christian pageantry past a certain point turn off voters. It may have a lot of Southern transplants (that's why it's the way it is) but it's not Southern.

As an aggregate, it seems to me that both GOP politicians and voters as a whole are oddly less hostile to "T" issues than they were/are "LGB" issues...though not by miraculous amounts.

The lesser degree of hostility is pretty simple. Take away all the politically charged language and simply ask people what they spend more time thinking about: their marriage, or the logistics of public restroom usage. The answer for most is their marriage.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 12:12:16 AM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 02:39:33 AM »

Not really, these are just guidelines on how not to get sued by the DoJ or have DoE funding withdrawn. All of which are under the authority of the Executive branch and their ability to interpret regulations/legislation.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 10:43:39 AM »

I don't think the founding fathers had bathrooms in mind when they wrote the constitution.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 12:46:58 PM »

Amen!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies