Pope Francis says he's open to Female Deacons, paving the way to Female Priests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Pope Francis says he's open to Female Deacons, paving the way to Female Priests
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pope Francis says he's open to Female Deacons, paving the way to Female Priests  (Read 1228 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 12, 2016, 10:02:42 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2016, 11:46:36 PM by Blue3 »

This is a rather big, unexpected development. Especially since the Catholic Church usually moves at a snail's pace.

( We may even get a female priest within my lifetime at this fast of a pace for them Tongue )

Thoughts?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/12/world/pope-women-deacons/index.html
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 12:50:34 AM »

It's interesting to have this going on at the same time as the push for LDS women to be ordained to our priesthood. I feel like female Catholic deacons would happen before female Mormon deacons (LDS deacons are more like altar boys, essentially).
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »

Not gonna happen.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 07:10:18 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.news.va/en

Not necessarily the same as "being open to female deacons." Not the first time that the media has overstated what Francis says.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »

Female Pope within the next thousand years?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:46:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.news.va/en

Not necessarily the same as "being open to female deacons." Not the first time that the media has overstated what Francis says.

^^

He's simply looking into a setting up a commission to clarify the role of female deacons in the early church. Even if the commission and Pope Francis decided to reinstate them (which they won't), virtually all of their roles are currently allowed to be done by the laity anyway.

Of all of the events at the Vatican this year, this statement was one of the least newsworthy, which means it gets the most coverage.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 11:02:29 PM »

He's simply looking into a setting up a commission to clarify the role of female deacons in the early church.

I mean, this is an intensely interesting issue anyway, to be fair.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:27:30 PM »

He's simply looking into a setting up a commission to clarify the role of female deacons in the early church.

Why? Even if the Church reinstate the women's deaconate women wouldn't be able to do anything more than they currently can except non-emergency baptisms (most of their roles are currently done by alter servers--who can be female in most parishes--and sacristans, who are almost always female). In my view, this is a non-issue dredged up by those who seek to distort the Church's teachings. There may be a few people out there somewhere who only truly do want to reinstate the womens' deaconate, but virtually everyone pushing it is doing so disingenuously: what they really want isn't this; it's something else.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »

Why? Even if the Church reinstate the women's deaconate women wouldn't be able to do anything more than they currently can except non-emergency baptisms (most of their roles are currently done by alter servers--who can be female in most parishes--and sacristans, who are almost always female). In my view, this is a non-issue dredged up by those who seek to distort the Church's teachings. There may be a few people out there somewhere who only truly do want to reinstate the womens' deaconate, but virtually everyone pushing it is doing so disingenuously: what they really want isn't this; it's something else.

I, at least, genuinely think it's interesting for historiographical reasons.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:09:11 PM »

I, at least, genuinely think it's interesting for historiographical reasons.

I believe you. You are truly unique Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 08:01:00 AM »

Whatever next? Letting them drive cars?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies