Hudson Block Boundary Suggestion Project (BBSP) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:26:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Hudson Block Boundary Suggestion Project (BBSP) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hudson Block Boundary Suggestion Project (BBSP)  (Read 5579 times)
Kevinstat

« on: May 23, 2016, 09:20:51 PM »

Item 61: Use northern shore of Underhill Pond as part of block boundary.

Item 62: Use stream between Underhill Pond and Oakdale Pond as part of block boundaries.

How will those two connect?  You might want to specify something so somebody doesn't leave a non-closed polygon.
Kevinstat

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:13:02 PM »

I've started a new topic called "Hudson QGIS" which is focused more on use of QGIS.
I saw that and completed the tasks before I checked to see if this thread had any new posts (so before I saw your last two posts here).
Kevinstat

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:37:18 PM »
« Edited: May 28, 2016, 09:24:00 AM by Kevinstat »

Directory of Prototype block files. Maine is state 23, Kennebec is county 11. The zip file is for the entire state, but I haven't found a shortcut to get county specific files.

1) Go to http://www.census.gov/rdo/ .
2) Under "Recent News", click on "2020 Census Program Phases"
You probably have been to this page, which has a lot of information about the BBSP and guides for using both their GUPS (the one you said was built over QGIS) and your own software.  But anyway, ...
3) Under "Phase 1 - Block Boundary Suggestion Project", under "Geographic Files", click on "Partnership Files" (note the "(use 2016 Partnership Files)" right after that hyperlink).
4) Select your preferred vintage (2015/V1 or 2016/V2 (I did what they said to and downloaded the the 2015 shapefiles for Maine, but only the statewide ones and those for Kennebec and Aroostook because of how big it all was; I had already downloaded the prototype block shapefiles for every Maine county).
5) Select your desired state and click "GO".
6) You can batch download up to five counties' shapefiles at a time.  For each batch download of 1-5 counties there will be a folder for both Maine and each county in that batch download.
Kevinstat

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »

Directory of Prototype block files. Maine is state 23, Kennebec is county 11. The zip file is for the entire state, but I haven't found a shortcut to get county specific files.

1) Go to http://www.census.gov/rdo/ .
2) Under "Recent News", click on "2020 Census Program Phases"
You probably have been to this page, which has a lot of information about the BBSP and guides for using both their GUPS (the one you said was built over QGIS) and your own software.  But anyway, ...
3) Under "Phase 1 - Block Boundary Suggestion Project", under "Geographic Files", click on "Partnership Files" (note the "(use 2016 Partnership Files)" right after that hyperlink).
4) Select your preferred vintage (2015/V1 or 2016/V2 (I did what they said to and downloaded the the 2015 shapefiles for Maine, but only the statewide ones and those for Kennebec and Aroostook because of how big it all was; I had already downloaded the prototype block shapefiles for every Maine county).
5) Select your desired state and click "GO".
6) You can batch download up to five counties' shapefiles at a time.  For each batch download of 1-5 counties there will be a folder for both Maine and each county in that batch download.

The Prototype file is different than the Partnership files.
Oh, okay.  Is there data that the county specific prototype files (if they exist) might have that the state ones do not?  (That is the case for the partnership files)  Or is it just a matter of having to download more than you might need?  The prototype files, which I actually downloaded before I downloaded any partnership files, just seem to show block lines with no different lines for streets, city limits, etc. (there's only one shapefile (.shp) per county, just with four other "supporting files" for each .shp file; more supporting files resulted when I uploaded the shapefiles in ArcGIS explorer which I was using at the time, but there was still just one .shp file per county).

(I got rid of the false quote from a post of yours on May 24 that caused misattribution of quotes in our last couple posts - that was my bad).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies