Twitterverse scratching its head at this Hillary tweet about trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 01:04:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Twitterverse scratching its head at this Hillary tweet about trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Twitterverse scratching its head at this Hillary tweet about trump  (Read 1777 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:18 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hillary doesn't think women should be paid the same as men if they do as good a job?
psychprofessor

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »

what's the confusion? It's a Donald Trump quote about women "who are gonna make the same if they do as good a job as men." Typical Trump sexism.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 11:46:37 AM »

what's the confusion? It's a Donald Trump quote about women "who are gonna make the same if they do as good a job as men." Typical Trump sexism.

The statement "women are going to make the same if they do as good a job" is the EXACT SAME STATEMENT as "women should be paid the same for equal work"
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »

The statement "women are going to make the same if they do as good a job" is the EXACT SAME STATEMENT as "women should be paid the same for equal work"

No you dummy, women should make the same as men regardless of how well they do the job #MeritocracyIsAMyth #GiveYourMoneyToWomen

What's funny is that I just posted this exact Trump quote in another thread as an example of valid viewpoints that can get you accused of sexism and everyone jumped down my throat.
psychprofessor

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »

Are you serious? Women should be paid the same as men based on how good they do their job? Um, no...women should be paid the same regardless...
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 11:59:53 AM »

The implication is that since women are currently not being paid the same, they perform worse at work than men and that everything men have is based on merit. Which is not true.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 12:00:24 PM »

I agree that it's a bad tweet to RT out of context.  In context, he was probably implying that women don't do a good job as men most of the time and that's why they get paid less and we don't need LL, etc
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »

Translation: "Yeah, I support equal pay.  If the ladies can keep up with the boys, sure."
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:07 PM »

The implication is that since women are currently not being paid the same, they perform worse at work than men and that everything men have is based on merit. Which is not true.
Exactly.

That's really the only way to interpret "You are gonna make the same if you do as good a job". It is clearly denying that any current sexism exists. If you make less than a man then the reason is that you do a worse job.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 12:15:38 PM »

I'm assuming that she's saying that you can't trust his rhetoric on equal pay. That's what I got out of it. As in he says one thing and does another.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 12:30:23 PM »

No, it isn't. I think the correct parse (or at least intended parse) of Trump's statement is:

Male employee will always be paid X.
Female employee might get paid X if she's above average, otherwise she'll make X minus something.
Seriously?
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »

Pop quiz, hackish red avatars: Do women and men get paid the same at the Clinton Foundation?

This equal pay crap spewing out of Crooked Hillary is nonsense. Trump has been a champion of women rising to prominent roles in the Trump Organization.  His statement there is a truism. If you do as good of a job as a man does, you should get paid the same. The converse is also true, if you do as good a job as a man as a woman does, you should get paid the same.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 01:08:53 PM »

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean that the intended audience doesn't.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

Pop quiz, hackish red avatars: Do women and men get paid the same at the Clinton Foundation?

This equal pay crap spewing out of Crooked Hillary is nonsense. Trump has been a champion of women rising to prominent roles in the Trump Organization.  His statement there is a truism. If you do as good of a job as a man does, you should get paid the same. The converse is also true, if you do as good a job as a man as a woman does, you should get paid the same.

He didn't say "you should" he said "you're gonna." Very different implications there.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »

Are we all now finally convinced that trump is going to do horribly with the women's vote (including white women) come November ?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 01:49:47 PM »

Are we all now finally convinced that trump is going to do horribly with the women's vote (including white women) come November ?

I think that's been clear for some time.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 03:24:21 PM »

I don't think you understand the implication. Trump's emphasis wasn't on the "you're going to..." part, it was on the "... if you do as good a job." It's based on the false assumption that the reason women get paid less is because they don't do as good a job. It's mansplaining at its finest. Beef said it best:
Translation: "Yeah, I support equal pay.  If the ladies can keep up with the boys, sure."
Reginald
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »

If we have to spend time parsing the tweet, it was a bad tweet.

I guess results from the DNC's/Clinton campaign's focus groups have found the War on Women angle to be an effective one. Kinda surprised by that, but what do I know.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:53 PM »

This. It's clear the Twitterverse is not very intuitive.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 05:10:47 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 05:12:22 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

I'm assuming that she's saying that you can't trust his rhetoric on equal pay. That's what I got out of it. As in he says one thing and does another.

You mean like how men at the Clinton Foundation get paid 38% more than women? How much less would Sidney Blumenthal been paid to send top secret special access program classified information from his hacked AOL account if he was a woman?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 05:19:16 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 05:26:08 PM by Famous Mortimer »

I don't think you understand the implication. Trump's emphasis wasn't on the "you're going to..." part, it was on the "... if you do as good a job." It's based on the false assumption that the reason women get paid less is because they don't do as good a job. It's mansplaining at its finest. Beef said it best:
Translation: "Yeah, I support equal pay.  If the ladies can keep up with the boys, sure."

Your attempts at willful misinterpretation are transparent and pathetic.

Trump responded in the future tense because he was asked a question about the future. The question was "If you become president, will a woman make the same as a man?" The question is featured in the very famous viral video You Can't Stump the Trump Volume 4:

https://youtu.be/MKH6PAoUuD0?t=5m25s

The Trump comment in question is completely reasonable.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 05:57:52 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 06:01:57 PM by Mallow »

Translation: "Yeah, I support equal pay.  If the ladies can keep up with the boys, sure."

Your attempts at willful misinterpretation are transparent and pathetic.

Trump responded in the future tense because he was asked a question about the future. The question was "If you become president, will a woman make the same as a man?" The question is featured in the very famous viral video You Can't Stump the Trump Volume 4:

https://youtu.be/MKH6PAoUuD0?t=5m25s

The Trump comment in question is completely reasonable.

If my interpretation was wrong, then there would be absolutely zero reason for the conditional. A simple "Yes, a woman will make the same as a man if I become president" would be all that needs to be said. The "if" part is in there for a reason. The implication is obvious to anyone unbiased (and you can see many in this thread making the same point, so it's not just me here).
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 06:03:37 PM »

First the problem was with the word "gonna" now it's the word "if" make up your mind.

What's wrong with "if" anyway? It's true, if you do as good of a job, you should get the same pay. If you don't do as good of a job, you shouldn't get the same pay. Carly Fiorina shouldn't get the same pay as a male CEO (or a female CEO for that matter) who didn't destroy their company. Isn't that fair?
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 06:05:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hillary doesn't think women should be paid the same as men if they do as good a job?

Only Trump is right here: The point is that Trump doesn't believe in the wage gap.  Well, the wage gap is a myth.  More young women are being sought after and hired and the only "gap" is where there are still male jobs due to lack of female interest.  Young men are now at a disadvantage.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 06:09:32 PM »

This desperate struggle to make Clinton worse than Trump is pathetic. You all picked the wrong candidate. Deal with it.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies