How can Trump reach out to the black community?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:20:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How can Trump reach out to the black community?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How can Trump reach out to the black community?  (Read 5194 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:05:03 PM »

Some people have speculated Trump will do better with African-Americans because Obama will be off the ballot, though it hasn't showed up in polling yet. Bush's 16% in OH 2004 could have been decisive. If Trump is to reach out to the black community, what should he focus on? Jobs? Hillary? Or should he not bother?
Gog
Gog3451
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:12:59 PM »

Problem is that Trump is a destroyed brand with them after the Duke incident.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:16:00 PM »

"Happy #BlackHistoryMonth! The best fried chicken is made in Trump Tower Grill! I love the blacks!"
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:24:41 PM »

Oprah as VP?  I dunno.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:09 PM »

Churches, somehow. It would have to be community leaders.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:53:30 PM »

"Happy #BlackHistoryMonth! The best fried chicken is made in Trump Tower Grill! I love the blacks!"

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 03:01:22 PM »

Promise them their wages will double once he drives out all the Hispanic competition?
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 03:21:42 PM »

He can't

/thread
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »

Remind them of the Clinton family's legacy of putting blacks out of work and into prison.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 03:24:52 PM »

Problem is that Trump is a destroyed brand with them after the Duke incident.

Has everyone on this forum forgotten the fact that Trump spearheaded the Kenya birther movement against President Obama?

The short answer is, Trump can't, period.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 03:26:20 PM »

Remind them of the Clinton family's legacy of putting blacks out of work and into prison.

If any candidate can talk about the horrors of Clinton's welfare reform and crime bill out of one side of his mouth, and returning American to the Mad Men years out of the other, it's Trump.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:20 PM »

Trump / the Sleepy Doctor '16.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 03:35:18 PM »

That's the only way I can see him recovering at least a little bit. Trump maybe didn't go out of his way to alienate them like he did with Hispanics, but the white supremacist stuff and his supporters beating up black protestors on tv really hurts any chances at doing better than Romney did.

On the other hand, there is not a whole lot to suggest that Republican African American candidates do any better than non-AA Republican candidates (iirc, anyhow). On top of that, Carson's completely moronic statements may hurt his appeal somewhat if weaponized into ad campaigns.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 03:37:29 PM »

That's the only way I can see him recovering at least a little bit. Trump maybe didn't go out of his way to alienate them like he did with Hispanics, but the white supremacist stuff and his supporters beating up black protestors on tv really hurts any chances at doing better than Romney did.

On the other hand, there is not a whole lot to suggest that Republican African American candidates do any better than non-AA Republican candidates (iirc, anyhow). On top of that, Carson's completely moronic statements may hurt his appeal somewhat if weaponized into ad campaigns.

Steele pulled around 25% in the 2006 MD senate race, which was pretty impressive. It didn't help him of course it was a horrible year for the GOP, but still.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:41:08 PM »

Steele pulled around 25% in the 2006 MD senate race, which was pretty impressive. It didn't help him of course it was a horrible year for the GOP, but still.

I didn't mean to imply Republicans can't get AA votes at all - There are states where Republican's shares of the AA vote exceed their national average. I only meant that a black candidate won't necessarily win lots of black votes just by virtue of being black. I imagine that candidate would be better positioned to fight for those votes, though.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 03:42:55 PM »

I didn't mean to imply Republicans can't get AA votes at all - There are states where Republican's shares of the AA vote exceed their national average. I only meant that a black candidate won't necessarily win lots of black votes just by virtue of being black. I imagine that candidate would be better positioned to fight for those votes, though.

I assumed that Michael Steele got 1/4 of the AA votes he is black, simply because I don't see another reason why AA voters would be drawn to him.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 03:55:58 PM »

Promise them their wages will double once he drives out all the Hispanic competition?
It won't be true, but it should work.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 04:03:41 PM »

Because that worked so well for Bernie. And Bernie had the benefit of not being endorsed by the KKK, not being a birther, not being a Republican, and not ordering his minions to beat up black protesters.

The black vote fantasy is hilarious. Hillary has a higher chance of winning whites than Trump does of winning more than 10% of the black vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 04:07:52 PM »

I assumed that Michael Steele got 1/4 of the AA votes he is black, simply because I don't see another reason why AA voters would be drawn to him.

Interesting fact: the Democratic primary in Maryland in 2006 was between Ben Cardin (now the incumbent Senator) and Kweisi Mfume, who was the former president of the NAACP. The race was heavily polarized racially, actually much moreso than the Edwards/Van Hollen race was this year. I'd imagine there was a lot of hurt feelings which Steele was able to capitalize on. In a non Democratic wave he actually would've stood a chance.

https://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?fips=24&year=2006&f=0&off=3&elect=1
psychprofessor

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 04:16:19 PM »

Once Obama starts campaigning against him, his numbers with Blacks will be even worse. Obama will remind them of Trump's birther non sense and racism.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »

Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 04:18:41 PM »

Man, this is why I post here. I can always count on incisive, biting comments.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 04:21:27 PM »

Talk about how NAFTA and the TPP has shipped jobs away from the AA community. Talk about the AA unemployment rate, and talk about how he is a businessman and he knows how to create jobs and talk about national security as well. There is a lot of macho AA men that like Trump's rhetoric.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »

Get Will Smith to use that minderaser thing from men and black on all AAs so they forget his years of racist conspiracy theories against Obama
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 09:27:43 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies