Clinton supporters, are you scared that Hillary will blow it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:14:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Clinton supporters, are you scared that Hillary will blow it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Poll
Question: How worried are you than nominee Clinton will hand the election to Trump?
Not at all.

A little concerned.

Very worried.

Utterly terrified.

Happy! (Not a Hillary supporters.)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 135

Author Topic: Clinton supporters, are you scared that Hillary will blow it?  (Read 5802 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Looking at the GE, and at Clinton's handling of Trump and her campaign so far, I'm finding myself more than a little nervous that she's going to win the nomination but stumble and stagger her way into a loss in November, mostly of her own accord. Which is terrifying, because I really think Trump would make a terrible President.

(The poll is assuming that Trump doesn't change between now and November. He doesn't re-invent himself and surge, but doesn't totally destroy his own campaign either.)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 02:34:25 PM »

I'm both terrified of a Trump presidency and terrified that Hillary Clinton - a polarizing candidate with terrible charisma - will get pushed around and shouted down by Trump's short sentences and small, loud words, every time she goes into policy-wonk mode.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »

Yeah, I'm concerned. Trump surprised a lot of people in the primaries and could do so again.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »

They should be and probably are based on their angry posts.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »

I'm both terrified of a Trump presidency and terrified that Hillary Clinton - a polarizing candidate with terrible charisma - will get pushed around and shouted down by Trump's short sentences and small, loud words, every time she goes into policy-wonk mode.

I think wonkiness plays a lot better in a one-on-one debate than it does in big debates, and Clinton doesn't strike me as one who will get "pushed around."  I think Trump's potential downside in the debates is a lot bigger than Hillary's, so I wouldn't be worried if I were you.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 02:38:00 PM »

A little bit.  I'm at least 70% sure Trump will lose to Hillary, but if that doesn't happen, it would be pretty awful.  It is concerning that Hillary doesn't generate much excitement compared to the cult following Trump has among his supporters.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »

I think wonkiness plays a lot better in a one-on-one debate than it does in big debates, and Clinton doesn't strike me as one who will get "pushed around."  I think Trump's potential downside in the debates is a lot bigger than Hillary's, so I wouldn't be worried if I were you.

"EXCUSE me.  EXCUSE me.  We're going to BEAT China.  We're going to STOP the flow of immigrants into this country, and the flow of jobs out.  Tell me how you're going to beat China?  You still haven't told me that.  I'm the one who can do that.  You had 24 years to get this done.  Your husband as President, you as Senator, you and Obama.  We're done with failure.  It's time to start winning."

Check and mate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 02:49:54 PM »

Yes, of course I am concerned.  I would have prefered a stronger candidate, such as, say, Cuomo. The cost of failure is too high in this case.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »

As a reluctant Clinton supporter in GE yes, I'm concerned about this possibility, which many Democrats seem to foolishly disregard. Not that it's the first time they do.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 02:51:54 PM »

Yes, of course I am concerned.  I would have prefered a stronger candidate, such as, say, Cuomo. The cost of failure is too high in this case.

wat?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 02:52:37 PM »

No longer, as she already has.

RIP America : (  

Why, Hillary, why?
ProgressiveCanadian
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 03:00:55 PM »

wat?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 03:06:38 PM »

Based on the current environment, I'm still confident she will win. What worries me is that we may be blowing a rare opportunity to score a landslide win and make major gains in both Congress and state legislatures across the country. Democrats need to recover, and this is a golden opportunity that may be wasted by a polarizing and generally unliked candidate. I support her, and really don't buy into a lot of the tripe thrown at her, but she is not even close to my first choice.

But, I suppose she could end up winning big anyway, but that idea seems tenuous at best.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2016, 03:10:55 PM »

Based on the current environment, I'm still confident she will win. What worries me is that we may be blowing a rare opportunity to score a landslide win and make major gains in both Congress and state legislatures across the country. Democrats need to recover, and this is a golden opportunity that may be wasted by a polarizing and generally unliked candidate. I support her, and really don't buy into a lot of the tripe thrown at her, but she is not even close to my first choice.

But, I suppose she could end up winning big anyway, but that idea seems tenuous at best.

I'm sceptical about any candidate winning "big", at least in terms of popular vote. The country is polarized politically and, let's be honest, both Hillary and Trump are polarizing figures on their own. Right now a narrow PV victory (possibly with Obamaeqsue EV victory) for Clinton is the most likely possibility.

But, again, there's so much time till November. She can screw up big time like Dukakis in 1988.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2016, 03:11:41 PM »

wat?

Thanks for bolding the part I think is important. Cuomo would have been stronger: he is a better politician.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »

wat?

Thanks for bolding the part I think is important. Cuomo would have been stronger: he is a better politician.

You mean better in doing politics than Hillary? I agree. However, I can't see him as a stronger nationwide candidate.

Also, the Atlas would have a collective meltdown Wink (and I'm one of those who consider hatred toward Cuomo rather overblown).
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2016, 03:13:40 PM »

Hillary has working class appeal and can appeal to blue collar whites like Biden can. That's why she doesnt need Kaine, she can drive up her base in CO and NV and Pa and win in a landslide. She would blow it if she upsets Trumka and SEIU by picking Kaine who supports TPP.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2016, 03:17:29 PM »

A little bit.  I'm at least 70% sure Trump will lose to Hillary, but if that doesn't happen, it would be pretty awful.  It is concerning that Hillary doesn't generate much excitement compared to the cult following Trump has among his supporters.

This.
Joe Biden is your president. Deal with it.
diskymike44

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2016, 03:20:04 PM »

Not at all. Because Trump is a racist blowhard who only appeals to young angry white men. There's more sane voters to outnumber Trump voters.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »

I'm sceptical about any candidate winning "big", at least in terms of popular vote. The country is polarized politically and, let's be honest, both Hillary and Trump are polarizing figures on their own. Right now a narrow PV victory (possibly with Obamaeqsue EV victory) for Clinton is the most likely possibility.

But, again, there's so much time till November. She can screw up big time like Dukakis in 1988.

You are right that we are hyper-polarized right now, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of a landslide. It may minimize the size of one, though. I think a 10pt win by any measure today would be a landslide, especially since Libertarians will take even more points from Trump.

The way I see it is, Trump is going to lose non-white voters by even larger margins than Romney's 17%. I don't believe he will get Romney numbers among whites, either. Not based on how terrible his behavior and image is right now, or the fact that he is now flip flopping on a daily basis. Those two factors, to me, make a close election impossible. If Hillary were to get Obama's vote shares from 2008 (an actual possibility), it would be a >55% win. That's how badly demographics are hurting Republicans.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 03:28:12 PM »

If I say yes, will I get relentlessly castigated for it?

Of course. That being said, I don't think the GE begins until the Democratic nomination is decided. There are still two candidates who claim they can win the nomination. One step at a time.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 03:29:31 PM »

If I say yes, will I get relentlessly castigated for it?

Well, Beet, you do have a record of hysterical predictions Wink
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 03:30:04 PM »

wat?

You mean better in doing politics than Hillary? I agree. However, I can't see him as a stronger nationwide candidate.

Also, the Atlas would have a collective meltdown Wink (and I'm one of those who consider hatred toward Cuomo rather overblown).

Well, the last reason is why I chose Cuomo as an example Smiley

Cuomo would have been a far stronger candidate: he is both centrist and a good politician. Radicalism does not make a good general eleciton candidate.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2016, 03:31:45 PM »

Thinking there is a 30% chance you may have an incurable cancer is far too high a probability to be saying that you are "only concerned a little bit".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 03:35:50 PM »

You are right that we are hyper-polarized right now, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of a landslide. It may minimize the size of one, though. I think a 10pt win by any measure today would be a landslide, especially since Libertarians will take even more points from Trump.

The way I see it is, Trump is going to lose non-white voters by even larger margins than Romney's 17%. I don't believe he will get Romney numbers among whites, either. Not based on how terrible his behavior and image is right now, or the fact that he is now flip flopping on a daily basis. Those two factors, to me, make a close election impossible. If Hillary were to get Obama's vote shares from 2008 (an actual possibility), it would be a >55% win. That's how badly demographics are hurting Republicans.

This is, of course, good point, but Republican successes in midterm years of 2010 and 2014 shows things may go differently. Of course, these were not presidential years, but all depends on turnout, especially among specific groups. There is a possibility of Hillary screwing things badly and, well, suffering from this. And, since it comes down to a couple of key swing states, even when demographics heavily favored Republicans, Kerry would have been President with a little just swing in Ohio. Too many wild cards here.

I may be oversceptical (just my nature Wink ), but I just wouldn't bet on anything now.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies