ATTENTION, Governors and Election Officers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:28:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  ATTENTION, Governors and Election Officers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: ATTENTION, Governors and Election Officers  (Read 1949 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2016, 08:37:55 PM »

TO: Hon. Cinyc, Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast;  Hon. Never Again, Governor of the Mideast;  Hon. Spiral, Governor of the South;  Hon. Ted Bessell, Governor of the Pacific;  Hon. Tmthforu94, Governor of the Midwest

Dear Sirs,
The following replacement for the Constitution of the Republic of Atlasia has passed the Constitutional Convention by a unanimous vote and awaits your action.

Regards,

Harry S Truman, Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Continued in next post
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 08:40:25 PM »

Continued in next post
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:03 PM »

Continued in next post
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:22 PM »

I couldn't feel more proud of Atlasia even if I tried. It's time for us to move, and get this superb constitutional document passed in the ballot box!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:13:39 PM »

Y'ALL READY FOR THIS

*DUM DUM DUM*
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »

Thanks for everything, friends. I'm proud that our great nation could finally reform the game that's brought so much joy to so many for such a long time, proud that I was able to play even a small role in such an important and historically significant effort, and excitedly looking forward to the new era.

I will put this to a vote shortly.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 10:07:17 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2016, 10:56:21 PM by Governor NeverAgain »

There is nothing to my knowledge I feel is more my righteous duty than to do this for the Mideast and Atlasia. I am so honored to put this to a vote and finally, oh so finally, bring the New Age of Atlasia to us. I echo Governor Bessell that I too am so rewarded that I could help play a part in helping structure this and serve with some of the best legislators this great Country has every proposed.

Tonight, I will place a referendum to the Mideast people and I would do solemnly hope that the great people of our great region can come together and fight together for this change.

I also feel it necessary to not only congratulate, but with much dignity, praise our Presiding Officer, a great Mideasterner himself, Harry S. Truman. And our wonderful President, Adam Griffin who both have fought for this to become fruition for many a year. I thank them for making this far-out dream a true reality.

Now tonight I ask that to Mideast vote not only for the good of the Mideast or the good of this Game. I ask you to vote with your hearts and dreams for the future held high as we launch a new destiny for this great Atlasian past time.

Thank you all, and to Atlasia and beyond!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 10:33:47 PM »

It goes without saying that I hold this Constitution to be the single greatest achievement of modern Atlasian history, and its ratification to be the single greatest responsibility placed upon this people since the birth of this great Republic. It is now up to us - all of us - to see this crusade through to the end, to renew our standard in the lake of fire, and to fight ceaselessly to plant the banner of reform upon the gleaming ramparts of of our Republic.

Vote AYE!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »

Not much of a fancy speech from me...

The vote has been opened in the Midwest. I have contacted ALL Midwest citizens encouraging them to vote. It is my hope that the Midwest makes its voice heard in this important and historic decision.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

Poor Arizona. I suppose it just isn't a state anymore.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »

RIP Arizona, FF.

If we have to amend the Constitution for this... Tongue
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »

Sh*t.

Fortunately, Article VII allows Congress to apportion "new" states among the Regions via ordinary legislation, so we should be able to fix this easily.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 09:13:33 PM »

Sh*t.

Fortunately, Article VII allows Congress to apportion "new" states among the Regions via ordinary legislation, so we should be able to fix this easily.

Yeah. It'll be the first thing the next Pacific Government takes care of.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 10:00:39 PM »

I should write the book: Arizona: Lost State, Lost Hope! Tongue

It would fit with my other titles:

"Behind the Wheel: The RPP's Insane Chairman" May 2010

"Senators in the Lead: The RPP's Long-Time Senators Successfully Rebrand the Party" Dec 2010

"Duke-Cincy: Atlasia's Fabulous Opportunity for Change" Sept 2011

"Focus on the Senate: Reforming the Cabinet Through Legislative Oversight" Jan 2013

"Beyond Rimjob: Atlasia's New Political Paradigm and Why Only Adam Was Prepared" Sept 2013

"The Era of Good Feelings: The Right's Unappreciated Victories"  June 2014

"The Advance of Radicalism: The Coming Appocalyptic Struggle for Atlasia's Soul" May 2015

"The Glorious Restoration: How Two Has Beens and An Ex-Con Rebuilt the Federalist Party" August 2015   
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 05:00:21 PM by cinyc »

Did this pass the commssion on Thursday the 12th or Friday the 13th?  Unfortunately, this matters for when the Northeast vote will be held.  If it's the latter, we can't vote until June, I think.

Can I consider the date when all votes were cast as the date it passed?  I'd prefer to hold the vote this month, if I can find a constitutional reason to do so.  And I will do so, unless explicitly told I can't.  We need to vote.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 05:22:25 PM »

Tne commission vote was open for 72 hours or until everyone voted. According to when the voting started, the vote ended on the 13th but my Atlas time may be off by one hour. You can check real hours and what the Northeast constitution says about time (standard or advanced) to see if the vote finished in time.

(or maybe you can have a pass on applying the rules)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 05:55:13 PM »

Tne commission vote was open for 72 hours or until everyone voted. According to when the voting started, the vote ended on the 13th but my Atlas time may be off by one hour. You can check real hours and what the Northeast constitution says about time (standard or advanced) to see if the vote finished in time.

Did everyone vote?  I want to find a reason to hold the vote this weekend, instead of totally disenfranchising the region.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 06:20:52 PM »

Did everyone vote?  I want to find a reason to hold the vote this weekend, instead of totally disenfranchising the region.

Only 18 people voted if I'm remembering correctly; I think the ConCon had 25 slots (including any vacancies).
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 07:10:30 PM »

Only 18 people voted if I'm remembering correctly; I think the ConCon had 25 slots (including any vacancies).

So what you're saying is that the overwhelming majority of ConCon Reps voted Aye before Friday?  Good.  I don't want to disenfranchise the Northeast because the voting closed literally 30 minutes after the cutoff for holding the Northeast's vote this month instead of next when the vote was unanimously in favor before the voting period ended. 

We will hold our ratification vote this weekend.

By the way, I see that the other regions claimed the vote opened at 12:00PM on Wednesday, while the booths weren't opened until much later than that.  The text of the voting booth seems to have been copied from region to region without much thought as to the voting period.  Shouldn't the regions that opened the vote after Friday be giving their voters 7 days to vote from the time the booths opened unless their regional laws or constitutions differ on time period for federal amendment votes?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 07:14:49 PM »

^^^ Yes, I believe the full 168 hours must be allowed for each Region's booth for us to consider any ratification (or rejection) valid.

It's possible we could go with "7 days" (that's an age-old argument; I can't recall if the Constitution specifies "7 days" or "168 hours"; I pushed in some contexts for "hours" to be adopted instead of "days" to eliminate that problem) and count individual days measured by 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM, assuming that once a voting period extends into the 7th individual day, that it'd count, but there's really no reason to do that here.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 07:20:07 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2016, 07:29:02 PM by cinyc »

^^^ Yes, I believe the full 168 hours must be allowed for each Region's booth for us to consider any ratification (or rejection) valid.

It's possible we could go with "7 days" (that's an age-old argument; I can't recall if the Constitution specifies "7 days" or "168 hours"; I pushed in some contexts for "hours" to be adopted instead of "days" to eliminate that problem) and count individual days measured by 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM, assuming that once a voting period extends into the 7th individual day, that it'd count, but there's really no reason to do that here.

I believe regions are allowed to vary the time period for ratification by law - and the Northeast has, by amending our constitution to hold all amendment votes open for only 72 hours.  

This was done to synchronize the time period for ratifying regional and federal amendments.  Mistakes have been made in the past on the time period to ratify these types of amendments when both a federal and regional amendment appeared on the Northeast ballot.

Edit: Yes, Article VII, Section 2 of the Third Atlasian Constitution says:

So whatever time period the region has decided is sufficient should govern.  If the regional legislatures didn't pass a new law after this amendment was added to the constitution, they probably should abide by the 168 hour rule.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:52 PM »

You're right. I can't remember when that was adopted (maybe it was in the 17th Amendment, or maybe it's always been that way?), but it make sense given the other provisions that the 17th allowed for (approval by legislature, for instance). So the Northeast will be the first to conclude its vote, then?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 07:35:21 PM »

So the Northeast will be the first to conclude its vote, then?

That would be ironic, given the amount of heat I've been taking for not opening the vote sooner, but the other voting booths were all opened from May 13-15.  So the other regions should be finishing anywhere from May 20-22.  The Northeast's vote will close at 11:59:59 PM EST on Sunday, May 22 - i.e. 12:59:59 EDT on Monday, May 23.

At least the Northeast will still be voting while the other regions haven't finished voting for a little bit, though.

Yes, it was the 17th Amendment that left the federal amendment voting time and manner up to the regions.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies